Subject: Trump bombs, HRC zings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the annual Al Smith charity dinner, the two candidates had their turn at bat.

Trump bombed and was booed.

HRC delivered the following zingers:

“Getting through these three debates with Donald has to count as a miracle.”

“Trump looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a 4.”

“I have now stood next to Donald Trump for longer than any of his campaign managers.”

“Donald is as healthy as a horse. You know, the one Vladimir Putin rides around on.”

“How is Barack going to get past the Muslim ban?”

“Donald thought I used some sort of performance enhancer [during the debates]. Actually I did. It’s called preparation.”

“Donald will tell us after the benediction whether he accepts this dinner is over. He has to wait and see.”

Even at a charity dinner, the OrangeMan gets his ass kicked by a strong woman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Trump's line about Hillary bumping into him and saying "pardon me" was actually pretty funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wasn't a complete bomb. He did start out strong and got quite a few laughs. As his speech went on, it became meaner and less funny; then he got booed.

One of his good early jokes went something like this . . .

"On her way to her seat, Hillary bumped into me. She said, 'pardon me.' I said, 'after I get elected, I will consider it!'"

I thought Clinton was funnier overall.

Edit: ninja 'd again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My favorite joke by Hillary was the one where she talked about Trump dismantling his teleprompter but she didn't blame him because it's difficult to translate from the original Russian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The biggest surprise of the evening was that Trump didn't walk over to Maria Bartiromo and grab her boobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Her rigged line fell pretty flat.

I like the village line.

And she had some nice self deprecating lines.

Mainly she did a better job of alternating and changing targets.

Ooooo.. Hearing what a billionaire has to say line was cutting.

And they were jokes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Artaxerxes wrote:

The biggest surprise of the evening was that Trump didn't walk over to Maria Bartiromo and grab her boobs.

That is ridiculous. He would never do that!

He grabs pussy, not boobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this the first time a candidate was booed for their "jokes" at the dinner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Apparently so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The full dinner with Smith, Trump, and Clinton's routines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumps line on his wife's speech was the best line of the whole campaign, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Was this the first time a candidate was booed for their "jokes" at the dinner?

Not sure. I know the more usual practice for GOP and Demo nominees is self-deprecatory humor (Romney and Obama in 2012 frex). But Trump doesn't do self-deprecatory and as noted, soon the humor devolved into attacks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who were the writers for this ? did they have their own or were they shared ?

Also, no doubt Hill would do better, its an event held in the lefty NY elite scene and Hillary is is in with most comedy writers.

Lets do the same type event at the christian coalition dinner where each person writes their own material. where both candidates are despised.

I think we would see a much funnier result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DINNER IS #RIGGED NOW, LUNCH ISN'T FAR BEHIND
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Also, no doubt Hill would do better, its an event held in the lefty NY elite scene and Hillary is is in with most comedy writers.

Lets do the same type event at the christian coalition dinner where each person writes their own material. where both candidates are despised.

Alex Jones saids that Trump's writers were replaced with Demonoid Assholes from HRC's secret Satanic camp.

#WHINEWHINEWHINEWHITEMAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Wow, so even a charity dinner is rigged against Trump. He just can't catch a break, can he?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Wow, so even a charity dinner is rigged against Trump. He just can't catch a break, can he?

No, these are scripted events. I just want to know who the writers were.

darthhugo wrote:
Alex Jones (the NAZI) said that Trump (NAZI)'s writers were replaced with NAZI's from HRC's secret NAZI camp.

#NAZINAZINAZINAZINAZINAZI

FTFY. You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Yes, those notorious liberal progressives, the Roman Catholics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
...its an event held in the lefty NY elite scene and Hillary is is in with most comedy writers...

Wait, isn't Donald J. Trump a citizen of New York City himself? And Hillary isn't? But it's Clinton's home court?

Man, I could never figure out New Math.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff coddington
United States
gary
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I thought HRC's zinger on Guilliani was the highlight of the evening. He couldn't even pretend he found it funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
Yes, those notorious liberal progressives, the Roman Catholics.

Wait, so all Muslims are not terrorists, but all Catholics are conservative ?wow, so hateful.

Also, a NY conservative is like an Iowa left of center moderate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Riiight, so your position is that poor, stupid donald trump let a bunch of liberal pro hillary people write a script for him, which he read, which then got him boos.

And we should feel sorry for him?

Sounds like something that a loser would do. Sounds like he's more of a 2 or a 3, not a 10. We need a winner, we need a 10 as president, and a guy who just reads a script that makes him look stupid is probably a loser. Stupid. Sad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy, on several of the commentary interviews they said that the democratic candidate is not always invited to these dinners. Your impression of the Al Smith dinners is incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Smith_Memorial_Found...
Quote:
Since 1960 (when Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy were speakers), it has been a stop for the two main presidential candidates during several U.S. election years. In 1976, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter spoke; in 1980, Carter and Ronald Reagan; in 1988, Michael Dukakis and George H.W. Bush; in 2000, Al Gore and George W. Bush; in 2008, John McCain and Barack Obama; in 2012, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney and in 2016, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Since 1945, only two presidents have not spoken at the dinner: Harry Truman and Bill Clinton.[3] Candidates have traditionally given humorous speeches poking fun at themselves and their opponents, making the event similar to a roast. The 2008 dinner raised $3.9 million.[4]

Since 1980, this custom has been affected by friction between the Democratic Party and the Catholic Church over abortion.[5] During the 1980 dinner, Democratic incumbent Jimmy Carter was booed.[5] In 1984, Ronald Reagan spoke, but his opponent, Walter Mondale, opted out, saying he needed time to prepare for an upcoming presidential debate.[6] Amy Sullivan suggests that Mondale's decision was motivated by "tensions between the Catholic Church and the Democratic Party."[5]

In 1996 and 2004, the Archdiocese of New York chose not to invite the presidential candidates. In 1996, this was reportedly because Cardinal John Joseph O'Connor was angry at Democratic nominee Bill Clinton for vetoing a bill outlawing some late-term abortions.[7] The organizers' explanation was that the candidates had been unable to commit to attending the dinner.[7] The vice-presidential candidates spoke instead. In 2004, Archdiocese spokesman Joseph Zwilling explained that the candidates were not invited because "the issues in this year's campaign could provoke division and disagreement,"[7] but some speculated that the decision was due to Democratic nominee (and Roman Catholic) John Kerry's pro-choice stance on abortion.[8]

Essentially, it is a party for wealthy pro-life new york plutocrats tho others may attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
Riiight, so your position is that poor, stupid donald trump let a bunch of liberal pro hillary people write a script for him, which he read, which then got him boos.

No, I asked who the writers were for this. Nobody seems to have that answer and half the idiots in hear have no idea what I am referring to.

rylfrazier wrote:

did I say that ?

rylfrazier wrote:
Sounds like something that a loser would do. Sounds like he's more of a 2 or a 3, not a 10. We need a winner, we need a 10 as president, and a guy who just reads a script that makes him look stupid is probably a loser. Stupid. Sad!

Did they have their own writers ? If so, Trump seriously failed. I assume Hillary has profession comedy writers for these types of events.

I assume Trump is to arrogant or inexperienced to know that you would need pro's for this type of event.

But to contend that Hillary is coming up with these zingers and just launching them on her own is a bit naive considering the woman can barely climb a set of stairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

No, I asked who the writers were for this. Nobody seems to have that answer and half the idiots in hear have no idea what I am referring to.

rylfrazier wrote:

did I say that ?

rylfrazier wrote:

Did they have their own writers ? If so, Trump seriously failed. I assume Hillary has profession comedy writers for these types of events.

I assume Trump is to arrogant or inexperienced to know that you would need pro's for this type of event.

But to contend that Hillary is coming up with these zingers and just launching them on her own is a bit naive considering the woman can barely climb a set of stairs.

Jeremy, i believe no writer wrote many of the words for the second half. The jokes almost completely stopped. I think trump went off script. I have no way to prove it but its clear that any intelligent writer or campaign manager would have vetoed those lines. Conway isnt that stupid. Tho she is getting really tired.

Perhaps ailes did try to veto it tho which would mean trumps now surrounded by an entire staff of bat shit crazy people.

It was a huge missed opportunity on trumps part.

It was also a minor to medium miss on clintons part. While trump was set at 11, clinton was a 9 when the event calls for a 7. Especially after trump went hard.. This was the time for her to go soft and humorous. She got off to a great start tho with the mayor governor joke. The rigged joke was fkat and smith had already done it better. And some comments were too mean for the event. Roasting is a delicate art that relies on gentle but wicked jibing.

But she nailed the landing at the end. And even on the radio, it came across that she was talking passionately about something she really sincerely believed in. Helping children and american democracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.