$30.00
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title probably gives away, I am a HUGE fan of this game. I am an avid miniatures board game kinda guy, which you can confirm just by looking at my "Owned" and "Preordered" lists. I find them to be more immersive and tactile for the players and give me something to do while I wait for my next gaming session-paint!

So after reading through the rules, which felt well put together and fairly straight forward to follow, I selected 2 characters (the U.S. Marshall and the Rancher) with no true idea of what their special abilities would do during the game. I instead picked them hoping to build a really cool back story and figured if the game went badly, I would just restart my posse (you can find the gameplay session here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1657817/history-marshall-bi...)

With my characters selected, I entered the mine. One of the coolest mechanics for me was the way the mine builds itself. Every time you set foot through a door, you draw a map card. On the map card is a small picture of the next map tile, which you then select from the box and put it together like a puzzle. Each map tile may have multiple exits, but you won't know for sure until you flip the encounter token that gets placed at the same time as the map tile. This tile will tell you how many encounter cards to draw, as well as how many exits exist.

At this point, you draw as many encounter cards as the token tells you to draw, and resolve them in any order you choose. Some will lead to an attack, some will be an environmental event such as cave ins.

Combat is fairly straightforward as well. Once you determine how many monsters you'll be fighting, you set them on the map in order of initiative. Combat begins with the highest initiative monsters and characters first, then down through the order until everyone has attacked. Ties between monsters and characters means the monsters will attack first. Attack rolls are strictly to hit rolls, then damage rolls, which are then compared against the monster's (or character's) armour stat. Subtract the armour rating and that's how much damage was caused.

The mission I played required me to find 2 "Clue"s while exploring, so I had to find two exploration tokens with exclamation marks on them. Once I found the second clue, I resolved one big attack instead of the normal encounter that I would have drawn. This last fight was challenging, requiring me to use my one revive token to win.

On each map tile, once you have completed the encounter, you are allowed to scavenge for items. You pick a character, roll 3 dice, and draw a scanvenge card for each "6" rolled. Once you have successfully scavenged, no other characters may scavenge that tile. This is a good way to find money and items, and if time allows, you should try to do this on each tile.

Speaking of time, there are 2 separate tracks to be aware of: the "Hold Back the Darkness" track, which is rolled against at the start of each turn...compare the results of 2d6 to the bottom of the track-if you are equal to or above, you pass the test. Fail the roll, and you advance the Darkness token one space. On certain spaces you will have to draw Darkness cards, which affect the game right away.

The other track is the "Growing Dread" track, which is travelled along as your heroes delve deeper into the mine. Each time you add a new tile to the map, you advance your token along the Growing Dread track. If you roll equal to or above the number at the bottom, you pass the test. Fail the test, and you add a Growing Dread card to the stack, keeping it face down until the end of the game, at which point you flip them and resolve them in any order you choose.

There is also a leveling up and equipment upgrade mechanic in the game, but I won't go in depth here on how they work. Suffice to say, it allows you to grow your posse and upgrade equipment, meaning your characters are getting stronger as they progress through the mines. Different expansions with new monsters can be purchased, and add portals to alien worlds with new equipment to gain and new enemies to fight.

I truly don't have any major complaints about the game-there are a TON of components, meaning storing it all can be a bit tough, but if that's my only true issue, I think I'll survive :)

I truly recommend this game to anyone looking for a new dungeon crawler, especially if you are looking for one that offers character advancement, multiple expansions, and a wide range of monsters that scale as you add new players or upgrade existing ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Martinez
msg tools
But did you find this game too mechanicaL? The few times I played I felt everything was dependent on the dice, and I had little choice but to explore, how many squares I moved and what enemies I attacked with what weapon. I liked it on a beer and pretzels game level, but found little depth. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I never really got the feeling that the game was too mechanical-although there aren't a ton of things to do while in the mine besides exploring, fighting, and scavenging, I don't think that's any different than any other dungeon crawler out there. What sets it apart from the other games is the after-exploration part, something I didn't touch on in the review. Going to town and levelling up characters, buying new gear or upgrading existing items, and going on the next adventure where things scale up as your posse levels up. I don't feel many games do it with this kind of depth-this feels almost RPGish in the way it's achieved. Yes, everything comes down to dice rolls p, but again, I can't think of a dungeon crawler where that's not the truth. Please, if you know of one, point me in the direction of it as I'd love t try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No dice? No problem:

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift

Have fun! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really like the game. I painted all the miniatures carefully, bought opposite gender main character miniatures from another company to have everything there.

And yet, just seeing the game box in my shelf frustates me. Why? Because those expansion boxes are so insanely expensive. One of those expansions is priced between one and two medium priced full board games.

I mean come on... Maybe I'm just ignorant, too stupid to know why the stuff is so expensive. But I just don't see it. To me, it seems as if they took the price of those expansions and then added another 50% to 100% just because enough people will buy it regardless.

I don't like that. It frustrates me and makes me unhappy. So, I'm fine playing the base game every now and then, while knowing that even checking for new Shadows of Brimstone expansions is useless, as I'd never buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you really need them. The add-ons may make the game harder if you want that. Otherwise just play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed...Although none of the expansions are required, they are fun to have. They add new creatures and options to the game. But if you're enjoying the base games, stick with those...they offer more than enough content on their own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr'lex
Germany
Geestland
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yatsuo wrote:
The other track is the "Growing Dread" track, which is travelled along as your heroes delve deeper into the mine. Each time you add a new tile to the map, you advance your token along the Growing Dread track. If you roll equal to or above the number at the bottom, you pass the test. Fail the test, and you add a Growing Dread card to the stack, keeping it face down until the end of the game, at which point you flip them and resolve them in any order you choose.

You might want to check this. The Depth Track only adds cards, when the Darkness marker reaches the special spaces (Darkness and Grwoing Dread). The downward motion of the Posse marker only indicates how hard it is to hold back the darkness. (p. 10 of the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Manser
Canada
Didsbury
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O...thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yatsuo wrote:
Yes, everything comes down to dice rolls p, but again, I can't think of a dungeon crawler where that's not the truth. Please, if you know of one, point me in the direction of it as I'd love t try it!

You should check out Gloomhaven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
Yatsuo wrote:
Yes, everything comes down to dice rolls p, but again, I can't think of a dungeon crawler where that's not the truth. Please, if you know of one, point me in the direction of it as I'd love t try it!

You should check out Gloomhaven

Also check out Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift. No dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Franck
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might not, it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.