Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: FAQ and Reminders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing tonight with four players, we hit a number of snags that I figure are worth documenting to help players focus on the game and not on how something works. RR is the Rules Reference and RR 21 would be page 21 of the Rules Reference.

Good things to know:
If an item runs out of Uses, it is not automatically discarded unless the card says otherwise. (RR 21)
No card values can effectively go below zero. (RR 15)
Rules, page 15 wrote:
A quantity on a card (such as a stat, an icon, a number of instances of a trait or keyword) cannot be reduced so that it functions with a value below zero. Negative modifiers in excess of a value’s current quantity can be applied, but, after all active modifiers have been applied, any resultant value below zero is treated as zero.

This, in effect, is actually a good thing for the investigators. If Sean has an Agility check to make, and his Agility is a 2 and he adds 1 to it from his hand, his Agility is now a 3. Let's say the check is a 1 and somehow, it is reduced by 2. This makes it a 0, despite what normal math would say. So now it is his 3 against the 0. He draws a -4 token from the bag. 3 - 4 would normally be below zero, but remember, it can't be below zero, so it becomes 0, which is even with the test of 0, so he passes. If Lucky was then played, giving a +2, it would result in a 1 total (2 from the ability, +1 from the addition from hand, -4 from the token, and +2 from Lucky.)
The easy way to say this is Any negative number is considered to be zero for resolution purposes. What this means is that if a challenge value is reduced to 0, it cannot be failed unless the Tentacle token is drawn.

Notes on Attacking and Enemies
If you draw an enemy during the Mythos phase, it will not attack you immediately. If on your turn you do anything except Fight, Evade, Parley, or Retreat, it will attack you with an Attack of Opportunity. If it does attack you, it just deals damage, there is no check for this. (RR 5)
When you attack an enemy, if you succeed, you deal 1 damage unless something says otherwise. (RR 12)
If an enemy is engaged with another player and you miss, you will deal damage to that player instead. (RR 12)
If an enemy is engaged with you and you move, it will go with you AND it gets an Attack of Opportunity. (RR 10)
If an enemy is engaged with you, it is still considered to be at your location. (RR 10)
Once an enemy is exhausted (likely through evasion), it will not engage any player until it is ready again (likely at the next Upkeep stage) (RR 11)

The Joys of Victory
You only gain the Victory points for a location if it is in play, revealed, and has no clues remaining on it. (RR 21)

The Agony of Defeat
If the lead investigator is eliminated, the remaining player(s) choose a new lead investigator. (RR 10)

Shotguns and Pistols and Spells, oh my!
You can replace items you have with items played from your hand. For example, if you have two hands worth of items, you can still play a third and discard one of the older two. However, you cannot willingly discard an item unless you need to through this kind of action. (RR 19)
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:

If an item runs out of Uses, it is not automatically discarded unless the card says otherwise. (RR 21)


I may have missed it, but can you voluntarily drop items/assets at any given time? It didn't seem like it, but I couldn't find any specific clarification.

(IE the flashlight runs out of batteries and you want to play a knife replacing it since you have something else in your other hand.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
I may have missed it, but can you voluntarily drop items/assets at any given time? It didn't seem like it, but I couldn't find any specific clarification.

(IE the flashlight runs out of batteries and you want to play a knife replacing it since you have something else in your other hand.)


Learn to Play book, page 11:

If an investigator wishes to play or gain control of an asset
that requires a slot already held by a different asset, the
investigator must choose and discard an asset or assets under
his or her control to make room for the newly acquired asset.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xonim wrote:
valpocarnie wrote:
I may have missed it, but can you voluntarily drop items/assets at any given time? It didn't seem like it, but I couldn't find any specific clarification.

(IE the flashlight runs out of batteries and you want to play a knife replacing it since you have something else in your other hand.)


Learn to Play book, page 11:

If an investigator wishes to play or gain control of an asset
that requires a slot already held by a different asset, the
investigator must choose and discard an asset or assets under
his or her control to make room for the newly acquired asset.


What about the Necronomicon for Daisy? When I draw that am I forced to "wish" to play it, thus forcing me to discard another asset (assuming my hands are full)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have to play it.

Note that you cannot just discard an item, only replace them with new ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions, guys. Whenever I think about Daisy and the Necronomicon, I just see her running around like a kid with a new Harry Potter book.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Grootjans
Belgium
Oostende
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don't seem to find is:

If you have a card with an abilty that says -

free action: pay 1 resource to improve skill x by 1

Can you do this multiple times?

An example is the dig deep card
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benny1980no wrote:
What I don't seem to find is:

If you have a card with an abilty that says -

free action: pay 1 resource to improve skill x by 1

Can you do this multiple times?

An example is the dig deep card


Yes, there is no reason that you couldn't.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick thing I'm worried about for the second scenario. It says to get 6 unqiue cultists to beat the act 1a. Does it mean 6 cultists with no duplicates or 6 cultists with the unique symbol? If so, there are only 5 in my game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 6. Don't worry. They are not all in obvious places in the scenario setup, but they do exist and will come up in the scenario. I can see why you would think there wasn't 6 and I worried that the first time I played the scenario.

These are unique cultist. Unique means they have an asterisk next to their name. The regular non-unique cultist traited enemies don't count.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are five in the Cultist deck and one more shuffled into the encounter deck. The goal of the scenario is to interrogate as many as you can before the clock runs out. If you get all of them, it just jumps to the end of the scenario rather than make you mill around town aimlessly and wondering if a 7th guy will eventually show up, that's all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There are five in the Cultist deck and one more shuffled into the encounter deck. The goal of the scenario is to interrogate as many as you can before the clock runs out. If you get all of them, it just jumps to the end of the scenario rather than make you mill around town aimlessly and wondering if a 7th guy will eventually show up, that's all.


Not quite

Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of them is the back side of the first Agenda card
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point about the negative modifiers, but feel the need to clarify in your example:

This, in effect, is actually a good thing for the investigators. If Sean has an Agility check to make, and his Agility is a 2 and he adds 1 to it from his hand, his Agility is now a 3. Let's say the check is a 1 and somehow, it is reduced by 2. This makes it a 0, despite what normal math would say. So now it is his 3 against the 0. He draws a -4 token from the bag. 3 - 4 would normally be below zero, but remember, it can't be below zero, so it becomes 0, which is even with the test of 0, so he passes. If Lucky was then played, giving a +2, it would result in a 1 total (2 from the ability, +1 from the addition from hand, -4 from the token, and +2 from Lucky.)

Lucky can only be played "if you would fail a skill test" and so here, if the challenge level becomes 0, he passes the test and Lucky may not be played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Galbraith
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I went ahead and played. Found the 6th cultist and proceeded to lose almost instantly afterwards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.