United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Just a geek, nothing to see here, move along
mbmbmbmbmb

After a long day at work, this made me smile. meeple

In its last issue, Cell -- one of the most popular scientific journals (at least for life science researchers) -- has published a board game related cover.

From the footnote:
Quote:
On the cover: ...... The cover image shows a board game illustrating the continuous evolutionary battle between host and pathogens in different parts of the world. Cover artwork from the Barreiro lab by Edwin Choi and Sigrid Knemeyer.

Maybe Edwin Choi or Sigrid Knemeyer are BGG members?

I just wanted to share it.

Cheers,
F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Meh. Risk-esque stuff. Sure, the meeples are a modern touch, but still... They could have gone for something like Pandemic, which would have been much more apposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Meh. Risk-esque stuff. Sure, the meeples are a modern touch, but still... They could have gone for something like Pandemic, which would have been much more apposite.

But the intent was to portray the struggle as a board game, to an audience composed largely of non-hobby gamers (presumably.) Given that, it makes sense to use a gaming allotrope recognizable to most people such as Risk.

Pandemic would have been a much better tie-in, but most of the target audience would probably not recognize it immediately, and thus the boardgame reference would be lost.

(I.e. the artistic emphasis is presumably on depicting the struggle between science and disease as a metaphorical boardgame, as opposed to depicting a boardgame that embodies the struggle between science and disease.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Wow, I saw it as more of a historic narrative, where both pathogens and humans have migrated throughout the world, each in a struggle to survive through the ages.

Great cover. It does what games do -- abstracts the details while preserving their effect in bigger concepts. Right in the pocket for the larger audience as well.

S.

By the way, Sigrid does indeed have an account here, but it's unused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.