JIM MCFETRIDGE
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Scenario 5 - Cold Front and Sgt Bikovets activated himself, a Guards SMG Squad in the same hex and 3 other Guards SMG Squads within his Command Radius of 2 for movement. Sgt Bikovets and the Squad move into the first hex and the Germans open fire; the Squad survives but Sgt Bikovets breaks. Obviously, the Squad that moved together with the now-broken leader must stop. Can the other unbroken units, that have yet to start moving, continue their movement even though the leader is now broken?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Luc Simard
Canada
Longueuil
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they can. The leader command radius is used to determine which unit can activate, but once they are activated they aren't reliant on that leader command anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcfetridgej wrote:
Playing Scenario 5 - Cold Front and Sgt Bikovets activated himself, a Guards SMG Squad in the same hex and 3 other Guards SMG Squads within his Command Radius of 2 for movement. Sgt Bikovets and the Squad move into the first hex and the Germans open fire; the Squad survives but Sgt Bikovets breaks. Obviously, the Squad that moved together with the now-broken leader must stop. Can the other unbroken units, that have yet to start moving, continue their movement even though the leader is now broken?

Yes, they may. Only those units that began their movement together must stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcfetridgej wrote:
Obviously, the Squad that moved together with the now-broken leader must stop.

Not quite. If they have movement points left (using the broken side of the now broken leader) they can all continue together. I think you maybe know this, but since it is a common mistake in CC I though I would mention it.

As for the other units, as has been pointed out, they are allowed to move afterwards. They are still activated no matter what happens to the leader after the point where they activates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
If the leader was killed, the other units moving with him must stop.

Indeed, because "activated units that begin a Move Order in the same hex may be moved together provided those units remain together throughout the entirety of that Move Order." (O21.2)

(Although one might remark that if the leader is killed, then the leader is no longer with the other units that moved with him... so that group moving together was in fact illegal since they did not remain together throughout the entirety of that Move Order... but you didn't know that when you started moving them... it's kind of a time-travel paradox!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i remember a game :

I activated a non broken leader stacked with 2 broken units...

I moved all together along a road (trying to join a 2 distance building hex to rally there)...

My opponent opp fired, killed the first broken unit and broke my leader ... (the second unit still broken)

the rescaped gained a +1 road bonus and could join the building ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
i remember a game :

I moved all together along a road (trying to join a 2 distance building hex to rally there)...

My opponent opp fired, killed the first broken unit and broke my leader ... (the second unit still broken)

But as Paul just noted, after one of the moving unit dies, it seems that by the rules the survivors cannot move further (since the entire group would then no longer be remaining together.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
But as Paul just noted, after one of the moving unit dies, it seems that by the rules the survivors cannot move further (since the entire group would then no longer be remaining together.)

I agree with that interpretation. As it says in the rules in the shaded box around rule O21.2, the unit with the smallest movement number determines how far the group of units can move.

A dead unit must be assumed to have movement 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cmoipap wrote:
i remember a game :

never play like that ....

not sure a just-killed unit count in this stacked movement....
Are you sue about that ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
russ wrote:
cmoipap wrote:
i remember a game :

Are you sue about that ?

Units must remain together during the entirety of the Move Order. They are no longer together if one dies, so the rest are done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:

Are you sue about that ?

I'm not sure how it's reasonably possible to interpret "activated units that begin a Move Order in the same hex may be moved together provided those units remain together throughout the entirety of that Move Order" (O21.2) to mean that some of the units could keep moving without all of the units that began the move together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
cmoipap wrote:

Are you sue about that ?

I'm not sure how it's reasonably possible to interpret "activated units that begin a Move Order in the same hex may be moved together provided those units remain together throughout the entirety of that Move Order" (O21.2) to mean that some of the units could keep moving without all of the units that began the move together.

Exactly. And to dispel any doubt, it is further clarified in the grey box (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Those units will therefore always end their movement in the same hex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM MCFETRIDGE
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. An underrated benefit to playing CC is the BGG feedback one can receive when questions arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.