Subject: First impressions after one game at "Paris est Ludique" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely won't review a game after only one go at it, but at the time I swore I'd post fiorst impressions then forgot (all my OTHER reviews too... job...)

Seeing this excellent game reach number 1 in the hotness made me think "well isn't it time to give your two cents about it?"

In Not Alone you are either people trying to escape a quite hostile planet or the Planet itself, including the "Monster" that is it's main tool of destruction.

The asymetry in this is brilliant because the Planet (the Overlord if you prefer) seems like a role I'd gladly take any time (usually I'm not really the overlord type, was a GM for too long in my early youth...)

Players choose a location card each turn and the Planet must try to guess where they go to hurt them and impair their ability to flee.
As you might have guessed: each location provides bonuses.

The idea of the game is that "heroes" should quickly try to explore the planet to get more locations to choose from: meaning more choice of effetc and less risk of being caught by the monster.

What is great is that all communication between the heroes has to be done in front of the Overlord (yeah it's HIS planet you know, and it's sentient and can hear what you're saying) so if you role play a bit you'll soon find yourselves inventing codes or exchanging glances in order to move undetected.

The exploration aspect also means that a measure of (small)deck-building is involved, which I personnaly like.

There's also bluff/double guessing (of course: hidden location) and press-your-luck ("will that bloody killing machine of a planet really think I'm dumb enough to get to this location TWICE in a row? I don't think so so let's do this!")

The game is very (as in VERY) easy to learn/teach.
It's a light box that will certainly do the job if you add it to the bag with teh beers and crisps you're bringing at some friends party (it accomodates 7, which I think is great for that purpose!)

All in all it's a great game and I can't think of a single reason NOT to add it to my collection with this price tag!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
...I can't think of a single reason to add to my collection...

Really? Seemed like you enjoyed this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandmanx82 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:
...I can't think of a single reason to add to my collection...

Really? Seemed like you enjoyed this :p

A NOT is missing and the whole sentence loses it's meaning sir! :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.