Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: The Tutorial is amazing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
joe bobroskie

Tallahassee
Florida
msg tools
This should be the gold standard for others to follow from now on.

It makes me wish that Mansions of Madness had an intro house set up with only 3 or 4 rooms so that new players could learn the rules without having either me read off a fantasy flight rule book or diving into a full long game. Have a small house where behind every lock is a new rule and a small tutorial rule book to introduce those rules one at a time in a game setting.

All games should have something like this. I played through the tutorial with a friend today and enjoyed jumping right in. I then had a friend show up late and we played through a second time in a row and everyone enjoyed the experience. The experienced players didn't walk away from the table to eat some food or something while I read for 15 minutes. Instead instant action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Simbürger
Germany
Bad Aibling
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only secon this.

The only other game that I can remember on the top of my head that does this in a kind of similar way is Legends of Andor (Quick start guide).

It is awesome that they did this kind of transition of video game elements, where tutorials / intro missions etc. nowadays are more or less a necessity, as nobody wants to read manuals anymore (and often even can't as they are only provided as separate download etc.) into a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
Magic Realm did this a couple years back. They had an intro scenario where all you did was move. Then a second scenario to introduce camping, etc, etc.

Issue became once a person knew how to play the full game, working through the intros with new players meant you spent most of your time playing part of the game.

Of course this rule set is a tad less and the intro scenario seems quick. But still, I asked for more of that intro style rule learning back when Magic Realm came out.

They dinna listen to me, dammitall. :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmietee wrote:
Magic Realm did this a couple years back. They had an intro scenario where all you did was move. Then a second scenario to introduce camping, etc, etc.

Issue became once a person knew how to play the full game, working through the intros with new players meant you spent most of your time playing part of the game.

Of course this rule set is a tad less and the intro scenario seems quick. But still, I asked for more of that intro style rule learning back when Magic Realm came out.

They dinna listen to me, dammitall.

Yeah, the tutorial for Mechs vs Minions takes around 15 minutes or so. For lots of games, that's how long it takes just to explain the rules, so it's not bad at all to just do a tutorial game and then move on to a full mission after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoyed it. It felt like a very video game approach to a tutorial, which is hardly surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
We also thought the intro was clever, especially the way it forces you to deal with damage. Very very cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alexander
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Krosmasters Arena did the exact thing. It was actually really confusing to me when we first encountered it. Like, "where the hell are the rules!?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Maxcy
United States
Lexington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prodigalphreak wrote:
Krosmasters Arena did the exact thing. It was actually really confusing to me when we first encountered it. Like, "where the hell are the rules!?"

I was going to mention Krosmaster: Arena here too. It had you lay out the rulebook which had small printed maps to walk you through the rules until you were up to speed. I thought it was pretty innovative to just put your game pieces right on the rulebook and have reference right at hand for the corresponding map. I do recall it having the issue of having certain things explained in the tutorial that weren't reprinted in the main rules elsewhere. I like MvM's reference book in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.