Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just pointing out that in the system reminders on the First Mates board silence is very clearly shown as 1-4 spaces of movement, NOT 0-4. Nowhere in the rules does it state that moving 0 spaces is a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Isn't it obvious? Drive silently without moving is just "Standing still"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just curios as to how that was even a question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Just curios as to how that was even a question?

I wasn't asking a question, I was stating a fact that seems to have been overlooked on multiple occasions, ie. That the rules and the First mates sheet do not allow a movement of zero spaces. In fact silence specifically says you have to move your sub. Staying in the same spot is NOT moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
Weaselboy wrote:

I wasn't asking a question, I was stating a fact that seems to have been overlooked on multiple occasions, ie. That the rules and the First mates sheet do not allow a movement of zero spaces. In fact silence specifically says you have to move your sub. Staying in the same spot is NOT moving.

I'll buy the idea that moving 0 spaces is not technically "moving", but there is enough ambiguity to cause confusion.

The rules say "He can move the submarine up to four spaces in a straight line without crossing an island or his own route". Literally speaking, zero is included in "up to four". As for the first mate sheet silence infographic, I wouldn't interpret it to be explicitly omitting a 0-space option.

Finally, the designer of the game already clarified this rule here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23312998#23312998

Even if you want to interpret the printed rules to say 0-space silence is not allowed, this post is pretty close to official rules errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, I wasn't trying to be snarky above. My interpretation of the rule that says you can't cross/touch a previous point, by definition means that you can't stay in on the same point for two consecutive moves, which of course means that you must move.

As I thought it was so obvious that you must move, hence my wonderment at why it was even a question. And from looking at other threads of the same subject, it appears I'm not alone in my thinking that you must move a space, regardless if it's a normal move or a silent move.

But the link that James provides above turns all that reasoning upside down!

So apparently, the designer says it's perfectly fine to move zero spaces (but only for silence (I think) ... hmmm...). Regardless, this does seem to contradict the rule on page 2 that a sub "can't cross or move along its own previous route".

Bottom Line: So now I understand why it might be a question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jameskk wrote:
Weaselboy wrote:

I'll buy the idea that moving 0 spaces is not technically "moving", but there is enough ambiguity to cause confusion.

The rules say "He can move the submarine up to four spaces in a straight line without crossing an island or his own route". Literally speaking, zero is included in "up to four". As for the first mate sheet silence infographic, I wouldn't interpret it to be explicitly omitting a 0-space option.

Finally, the designer of the game already clarified this rule here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23312998#23312998

Even if you want to interpret the printed rules to say 0-space silence is not allowed, this post is pretty close to official rules errata.

For me, I will take this. Cap choose a direction(for first mate and eng to mark something) and then, he move 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 step(s) to that direction without telling the other team, the first mate and eng has to mark something in the direction, that's it~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

OK, I wasn't trying to be snarky above. My interpretation of the rule that says you can't cross/touch a previous point, by definition means that you can't stay in on the same point for two consecutive moves, which of course means that you must move.

As I thought it was so obvious that you must move, hence my wonderment at why it was even a question. And from looking at other threads of the same subject, it appears I'm not alone in my thinking that you must move a space, regardless if it's a normal move or a silent move.

But the link that James provides above turns all that reasoning upside down!

So apparently, the designer says it's perfectly fine to move zero spaces (but only for silence (I think) ... hmmm...). Regardless, this does seem to contradict the rule on page 2 that a sub "can't cross or move along its own previous route".

Bottom Line: So now I understand why it might be a question!

I guess that's why SILENCE exist. Allow you to do a 0 move on a direction to confuse the other team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Thijssen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Serial gamer
badge
Stedje van lol en plezeer
mbmbmbmbmb
We got confused as well by the player mat and took a look at the website of the publisher.

In the French and Dutch rulebook (as found on the Matagot site 2016 Oct 23) it is stated explicitely that silence mode allows 0-4 movement.

The English rules state 'up to four spaces'.
Combining this with the other rulebooks we consider '0 spaces' also a valid option when applying silence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.