Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked through 15 pages of threads and didn't find much.

This is supposed to be a retheme of Starcraft....so how much has changed of the mechanics?

Most specifically (but not limited to) has the combat changed any?

FYI, a friend has Starcraft, but I have not played it yet.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's similar:

* The orders stack system, with basic and special orders
* That you use cards to upgrade your stuff
* There's dudes of different types on a map, with planets
* There's cards that you use for combat
* There's aerial and ground troops

What's different:

* How combat works
* How unit types work
* What aerial and ground troops do and don't
* How you move around on the map
* How special orders work
* How upgrades affect your combat deck
* There's now dice in combat, too
* How you collect victory points and thus win the game

Essentially, what makes it feel somewhat similar is the order stack system. Everything else has been revamped and refined so much that it has really become a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add player count and playing time.

Forbidden Stars only plays up to four, but it is very, very good with two or three. I'm not sure that was the case with Starcraft. I played Starcraft only a few times, but I suspect Forbidden Stars is a faster game. Slightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not a re implementation by any means and I've been trying to get the mods to change that on both game pages, but after they briefly removed it and then put it back I never got responses to later edits.

Haslo has a good list, but I'd like to point out that the similarities are only superficial:
- FS doesn't have special orders as such, it has upgraded orders and each faction has different upgrades. This is different from SC where each faction has access to the same gold orders.
- SC has base upgrades in addition to the card upgrades. FS instead has a second upgrade deck.
- The map is very different indeed: FS is a simple grid where every adjacent system is connected. Some connections are temporarily broken throughout play by obstacles (warp storms) that the players move each round. SC's map doesn't necessarily have planets connected just because they are next to each other on the table and the z-axis may connect planets that are not next to each other.
Thematically each map section in FS represents multiple planets and surrounding space, while SC has a single planet with mutiple areas for each map section.
- How the cards are used is worlds apart. He did mention combat is different, but to me listing "cards for combat" as a similarity is like listing "they are card games" as a similarity for cribbage and poker.
Technically correct, but still nowhere near enough to say that the games are similar.
- He also already has ground/air units in the differences, but just to point out how different they are: In FS they literally can never be on the same space, and combat between them is very limited (and one sided, ground will never attack air). SC of course allows air and ground units to be in the same areas and fights with exception to a few areas from the expansion.

I think the myth that FS is a retheme of SC started when not much beyond "it uses an order stack like SC" was known about FS and simply stuck around since then despite all evidence to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ross
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
I think the myth that FS is a retheme of SC started when not much beyond "it uses an order stack like SC" was known about FS and simply stuck around since then despite all evidence to the contrary.

Couldn't agree with this statement more. They both provide very different gaming experiences. Hell, SC with the expansion seems like a different experience entirely from core SC. Ultimately, you should play your friends copy of SC, play a copy of FS, then decide which you like more, or of you're me you decide you like them both and try to play either as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone! Very informative. Yes, I will play Starcraft sometime.

I want to play FS badly too....

So many games, so little time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
Don't forget Forbidden Stars is super Grimdark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.