Subject: How does it play solo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All in the title... I would be curious to hear your opinion about how well or not this game plays solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
boulou wrote:
All in the title... I would be curious to hear your opinion about how well or not this game plays solo!

Personally, I think it plays great solo! I haven't gotten a chance to play multiplayer yet, so I can't say how the two compare though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo game is very good. You play with two sets of meeples and switch colors every round. So you block you choices from the previous round.

It's challenging and very entertaining (in my opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plays much better than Fields of Arle and Caverna, which I quickly sold after my first solo game. Having occupation cards makes a world of difference in guiding your strategy, while remaining sand boxy. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Long
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Rosenberg has said before in interviews that he starts every game design with the solo mode, and then adds players until it stops working. Because of that all of his games play great solo and this one is no exception. It's a toss up between this and Arle for his best solo game I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I am not a big fan of solo games, but I sat down to play this solo today, mainly to get accustomed to the game and so I would be able to explain it to others.
I ended up playing three games by myself, and I plan on playing some more tomorrow. Turns out I suck at this game, but it is a lot of fun trying to find a way to suck less at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmb
Plays very well solo. It feels even MORE like a multiplayer than usual because of the switching colors, leaving you feeling like someone is blocking your moves. Very interesting solo game that's functionally identical to multiplayer. Good stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Butler
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing most of Uwe's games solo, especially Glass Road and Fields of Arle.

Last night I tried Odin for the first time, also with the goal to learn the rules. I was very impressed with the experience. The alternating of workers every other turn is similar to the solo rules for Glass Road, but the overall gameplay is closer to Caverna/Agricola and Fields of Arle. It seems to me that Mr Rosenberg has taken the best mechanics from his previous games and mixed them together into this great new game. It's way too early for me to say this, but I predict that Odin will climb up to the very top among Uwe's games, at least the solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After six solo games I am now somewhat frustrated because I apparently cannot grok this game. I've had a similar experience with Fields of Arle, but to a lesser extent.
In my six attempts I have scored around 80 points, with 88 being my highest score and 56 being my lowest (at least I now know what absolutely not to do). Considering others have posted that the 100 points given by the rulebook as the goal you should aim for is way too easy, I wonder what I am doing wrong.
My problem with the game is that you can't do everything you want to do - far from it, actually - but you cannot really specialize or build an engine, either. I can't seem to realiably generate enough stuff. In most of my games I have barely managed to fill my starting board, in one game I was able to fill Iceland as well, but it's a struggle.
What throws me off is that there are many ways to prevent negative points, but relatively few ways that earn you positive points.
And I am beginning to think that the luck factor is too high for my taste. I went into the last three games determined I'd try out plundering, an area of the game I had not yet explored. Without drawing a single sword, though, that wasn't an option. And then there is the dice rolling. Yes, you can roll the die three times, but as it turns out I have no problem rolling badly three times in a row. And mitigating a bad result is very expensive.
I think I should put it away for a while or it might just drive me crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
After six solo games I am now somewhat frustrated because I apparently cannot grok this game. I've had a similar experience with Fields of Arle, but to a lesser extent.
In my six attempts I have scored around 80 points, with 88 being my highest score and 56 being my lowest (at least I now know what absolutely not to do). Considering others have posted that the 100 points given by the rulebook as the goal you should aim for is way too easy, I wonder what I am doing wrong.
My problem with the game is that you can't do everything you want to do - far from it, actually - but you cannot really specialize or build an engine, either. I can't seem to realiably generate enough stuff. In most of my games I have barely managed to fill my starting board, in one game I was able to fill Iceland as well, but it's a struggle.
What throws me off is that there are many ways to prevent negative points, but relatively few ways that earn you positive points.
And I am beginning to think that the luck factor is too high for my taste. I went into the last three games determined I'd try out plundering, an area of the game I had not yet explored. Without drawing a single sword, though, that wasn't an option. And then there is the dice rolling. Yes, you can roll the die three times, but as it turns out I have no problem rolling badly three times in a row. And mitigating a bad result is very expensive.
I think I should put it away for a while or it might just drive me crazy.

Putting it away might help you come up with some fresh ideas, but you might also want to browse the rules forum in case you are playing something incorrectly. I am not sure what it might be though.

I assume you are focusing hard on your starting occupation and possibly the next occupation or two that you get?

Also, bear in mind that if you roll the dice, try to pick only cases where you need a 3 or less on the D8, or a 4 or less on the D12. You have over 70% success odds there, unless you're just truly unlucky or your dice aren't even (try pulling out some other D8 and D12 ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it twice solo now and twice with one opponent. Both are very good. The solo game is a fantastic optimisation puzzle. I'm prone to quite severe AP sometimes and this game is a bit of an AP nightmare. Solo may end up being my preferred player count, as I don't mind waiting a long time for me to play my move.

I'm off to play another couple of times solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Putting it away might help you come up with some fresh ideas, but you might also want to browse the rules forum in case you are playing something incorrectly. I am not sure what it might be though.

After rereading the rules I haven't found anything that I was playing incorrectly.
I have discovered that there are some action spaces (where you have to place three or four of your vikings) I haven't used even once in the eight games I played solo, and I suspect they might have been a good choice a couple of times, but they certainly are not game changing.

GAFBlizzard wrote:
I assume you are focusing hard on your starting occupation and possibly the next occupation or two that you get?

Not at all. Most of the occupations I have seen so far hardly seemed worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Skippy668 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

Not at all. Most of the occupations I have seen so far hardly seemed worth the effort.

As an experiment, try a game where you use your starting occupation to the maximum extent possible. Also don't forget you can buy a boat at ANY time using silver, if you have extra silver laying around.

Do you have any tiles leftover at game end? Don't forget you can get the small houses to dump excess orange and red tiles you haven't converted.

Lastly, Frank posted a thread in the Strategy forum with some protips. I'm trying to resist looking at them myself. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you explain that in more detail? It sounds like you basically block the areas you used by putting different colored meeples on the areas you did the previous round. Sounds interesting yet I was hoping for some sort of Automa like Viticulture or Scythe.

That said I would think it would be a huge undertaking as there are 60+ (?) spots you can use.

Games looks really interesting as I don't have any euro style game in my collection that I can play solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Skippy668 wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

As an experiment, try a game where you use your starting occupation to the maximum extent possible. Also don't forget you can buy a boat at ANY time using silver, if you have extra silver laying around.

Do you have any tiles leftover at game end? Don't forget you can get the small houses to dump excess orange and red tiles you haven't converted.

Lastly, Frank posted a thread in the Strategy forum with some protips. I'm trying to resist looking at them myself. Good luck!

I've tried focussing on my starting occupation card, but that did not help, I'm afraid. In fact, it was one of my lowest scores. The occupation cards are so very situational and offer such small bonusses, I honestly don't see how they are worth using an action to play them.

Regrettably, Frank's thread didn't help me, either, as I was already doing what he describes. One difference is that apparently my income curve is not steep enough, as I usually hit a slump on turn 3. But if I knew how to avoid that I'd already be doing that, obviously.

SgtTenor wrote:
Can you explain that in more detail? It sounds like you basically block the areas you used by putting different colored meeples on the areas you did the previous round. Sounds interesting yet I was hoping for some sort of Automa like Viticulture or Scythe.

That's correct, you block the areas you used on the previous turn. This makes things more difficult than the Automa system, which frequently blocks areas you have no interest in, while here you know that you want to use those areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.