Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Organizing map tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T H
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple games with the MoM 2ed base set to get the hang of the game, I also already owned the MoM 1ed base set and have bought the Suppressed Memories collection. Now the other day I did some grouping with the parts and boxes and noticed that the amount of room tiles has gotten quite massive. When playing with just the 2ed base game set going through the tiles was somewhat manageable during the session but now looking at the pile containing all editions tiles makes me feel out of breath when I'm thinking of incorporating them to a new game. It would help if the tiles had somekind of identifier in addition to its name or the app would tell beforehand which tiles will be used for the scenario at hand (which would be quite spoiler-y) but no. The tiles being two-sided also doesn't help.

So how do people here organize their tiles when playing with all parts enabled to keep the game flowing and not stopping everytime for minutes when someone explores a new room? I admit not yet trying to play with all the parts enabled so I might be missing something here, this question just straight out popped into my head when I saw the huge tower of map tiles when all were combined in the same stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every tile has a name and a symbol that identifies which set it is from. The app tells you the name and symbol (tentacle as an example from the core set). I sort mine into piles by shape and symbol, then face them by outdoor/indoor when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles (and investigator cards and monster tiles) do have a symbol with the set they came from on it: 1st edition base is a key, Forbidden Alchemy is a flask, and Call of the Wild is a crescent. The only problem is that the symbols don't appear on the original 1st edition tiles, only on the new versions included in the two expansions (and only the new versions of the tiles have the colouring to distinguish indoor and outdoor rooms). If you can keep your 1st edition tiles sorted by set, you can still take advantage of the symbols to speed the search up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Every tile has a name and a symbol that identifies which set it is from. The app tells you the name and symbol (tentacle as an example from the core set). I sort mine into piles by shape and symbol, then face them by outdoor/indoor when possible.

Same here. I noticed the different symbol part way through my first play with Suppressed Memories included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Gary Duke wrote:
The tiles (and investigator cards and monster tiles) do have a symbol with the set they came from on it: 1st edition base is a key, Forbidden Alchemy is a flask, and Call of the Wild is a crescent. The only problem is that the symbols don't appear on the original 1st edition tiles, only on the new versions included in the two expansions (and only the new versions of the tiles have the colouring to distinguish indoor and outdoor rooms). If you can keep your 1st edition tiles sorted by set, you can still take advantage of the symbols to speed the search up.

My first edition Forbidden Alchemy tiles have expansion symbols on them. They are white and just outside the text box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to make a box with a "staircase" in the bottom in order to show push up the maps to show their title above each other, but it turns out that the each step increase has to be so high that the box became too large

I still think the idea was great though

Now I am moving to a home-archive together with an index file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim

Minneapolis
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I put together a tile index, in the files section. It does require writing an index number on the tile itself, but it makes it easy to keep the tiles organized and to locate a tile quickly.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137577/mansions-madness-ti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indylim wrote:
I put together a tile index, in the files section. It does require writing an index number on the tile itself, but it makes it easy to keep the tiles organized and to locate a tile quickly.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/137577/mansions-madness-ti...

This goes very well together with a home-archive where you can put the id on the map-tabs instead of on the tiles themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivelin Belchev
Bulgaria
Ruse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really helps if you keep tiles separated in stacks by their expansion icon. Also most indoor areas have an outdoor area on the other side (at least in the base game) so you can keep them all indoor side up (or down) and won't need to flip each one as you go through the stack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.