Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
reveur 81
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

the first 4 expansions will be published in french soon, so I came here to check the reviews and detailed descriptions... nothing ! Wow.

So... for you, what is the best expansion actually ? Is the new scenarios better and really different fromt the ones in the base box ? Who is the better new hero among the four ?

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all relatively similar. It's expensive to get all of them I suppose, but I like each of them as they increase variability. None of them are 'bad', though I guess I'd recommend the scenario ones more since they affect the story of the game most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you want more scenarios, get the scenario packs.

Both of these obviously include story cards for the new scenarios, plus 30 scenario cards which go into the Adventure decks. So they mix up both the scenario and the adventure decks. More specifically:

- If you want to try a PvP-based scenario, get Fall of the Dark Star. Be aware that you may want to house-rule the final showdown; default rules result in a somewhat hectic PvP Battle Royale as the climax, which is not to everyone's taste. You can easily house-rule it into a knockout tournament of much less chaotic 1v1 combats; seeding/byes can be based on who has the most Dark Shards/Prophetic Visions/Trophies/Gold. It works fine with 2 players without house-rules though, and if you mostly play 2 player this might be perfect for you as your heroes get to face-off at the end rather than race to kill the boss.

- For a competitive Boss Fight scenario with difficulty somewhere between Vorakesh and Margath, get Caught in a Web. Could also be played solo/co-op. This scenario isn't massively different to the others, but I think it's different enough to offer some variety in both the experience and difficulty.

If you want more skills, assets and non-scenario adventure cards, get the Adventure packs.

I don't think there's much else to say here. They just add more selection of skills and assets, and some new adventure cards which will freshen the game up a bit for you if you have played a lot with the base game. The adventure cards get shuffled into your other non-scenario decks then you choose 20 at random. Into those 20 you then shuffle your scenario cards as usual. So you won't see all the new cards in your first game, or even your first few games. So they should indeed keep things fairly fresh.

If you're only getting one of these adventure packs, I'd just go for the one with the hero you most like the look of. I don't think there's much difference otherwise. Well, obviously the cards are different but I don't know that I'd be able to tell you which were from which. There's supposed to be some vague theme to them but I'm not sure it really comes through.

My Thoughts.

I personally would advise deciding if you want a new scenario or just new assets and skills. Then if going for a scenario, choose between them based on how you feel about the scenario as those are very different. The new heroes are different of course, but only 1 player gets to use them and they are both perfectly playable. So I would not base my choice on the hero for the scenario packs.

That said, Jonas is a solid defensive warrior type while Zyla is a somewhat oddity, with 4 movement but only 7 health and some interesting abilities. Weak early on but gets great with more tokens, and can start the PvP scenario with a Dark Shard (which is both good and bad!). So the heroes are quite different also, but I'd still base my choice on which scenario you want.

However if you get an adventure pack, I'd use the heroes first and foremost to choose between them. Gilded Blade has Red Scorpion, an agile, dagger-weilding female warrior type. She introduces the Tactics symbol (and some of the assets in her pack also use Tactics). Nanok comes with The Mountains Rise and has the Charge symbol, with an ability letting him attack with shields. They are both combat-focused, and probably don't play all that differently. But still, the other cards are all varied so there's not much to choose between them.

Overall, I'd definitely suggest the scenario packs first, and I'd get the one that suits your game group (PvP or more co-op-ish like the base scenarios, again be aware you might want to house rule the PvP climax). It doesn't bother me that you get the same skills etc a lot of the time, and there are still plenty of assets I like the look of but never had chance to purchase. So those aren't old for me yet. New scenarios however, always feel like they are different experiences even though the 'get strong and kill the boss' theme remains for this one.

Hopefully future expansions will have more imaginitave and innovative scenario designs, but this one's still decent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reveur 81
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, great answer! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my thought : webs vs dragon

in the dragon one yours collecting lore to weaken the dragon instead of just getting buffs
in webs there is no lore you can focus on just buffing your heros..
and also in webs there are a few event which may effect movement depends on how quickly they appear

i've not beaten the web one yet..

not played the dark crystal one yet
not even played the zombie base game one yet..

i got the mountains one..not enough plays to comment, a new hero is nice and extra general events generally seem like adventure sites in mountain areas and mountain theme monsters?..
gilded blade is on order sounded like road based encounters and bandits and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting Margath (the dragon) is one of the 2 scenarios in the base game. The other is fighting Vorkash and his Zombie hordes.

The 2 scenario expansions are the webs expansion, a race against Ariad to defeat her before she destroys all the cities in Terrinoth, and Fall of the Dark Star, a PVP-inducing ending.

Webs also adds Jonas, one of the best heroes in the game, as well as a fun scenario.

Milarky wrote:
webs vs dragon
in the dragon one yours collecting lore to weaken the dragon instead of just getting buffs
in webs there is no lore you can focus on just buffing your heros..
and also in webs there are a few event which may effect movement depends on how quickly they appear

i've not beaten the web one yet..

not played the dark crystal one yet
not even played the zombie base game one yet..

i got the mountains one..not enough plays to comment, a new hero is nice and extra general events generally seem like adventure sites in mountain areas and mountain theme monsters?..
gilded blade is on order sounded like road based encounters and bandits and such
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have purchased three of the four expansions but have yet to play any of them as of yet due to not having the time to figure out the best way to implement everything. I really wish you could just combine all of the skills and stuff together without having to keep them separate. That really irks me.

I didn't buy the Fall of the Dark Star expansion for two reasons. One is that it's geared toward PvP and I probably play RuneBound more often solo than with a lot of other people and second I didn't care for the hero that came with that one.

I enjoy the different scenario's but for me I think I enjoy playing as different heroes more. I enjoy leveling them up and gaining different skills and items and seeing how they turn out each time. I'm still hoping that we eventually get a co-op expansion at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Does the base game have enough in it that you won't want expansions after 4-6 plays? Or does it get samey pretty fast, like in 2nd ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
think there more then average plays in the base set then some other ffg games,
a few different tactics to follow and twists depending on how story cards and adventure cards come out and affect you..

but as i tried to say above i think with the webs scenario
it felt a bit purer.. every thing i did was improving my hero be it gaining money or skills

where as the dragon one it might get annoying collecting lore.

i played the base 7-10 times with out even playing the zombie one..before getting expansions i just hear bad things about the zombie one solo and i do try to take this to game groups but it often runs a little long to fit the time..

i got the packs to support the game but i would like to seem a more imaginative scenario i've been distracted by the descent app to come up with my own fan content

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
msg tools
I've played the 3rd edition base game over 10 times. We will probably play again later today. It's getting to the point that we will invest in one or two of the expansions.

Unfortunately, I haven't played 2nd edition so I can't compare it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your mileage for base game and expansions might vary.

Base game
If you tend to play 2p then you won't get much of Vorakesh(zombies) scenario, because it scales like crap. With 3-4p you can get tons of Vorakesh plays.

Margath(dragon) is alright no matter the number of players. It's alright, but might be a bit too easy. It mostly depends on which of you can get to kill him first.

Scenarios
Ariad(webs) is similar to Margath, but for some reason more fun. It's my favorite one and I highly suggest it. It also comes with a hero - Jonas, which is good in combat.

Dark Star(PvP) is something that I cannot comment on much. I got 0 plays of that, since it tries to be highly PvP. It has a hero Zyla, which I found to be not much fun to play in scenarios I tried her.

Adventure packs
2 new heroes, and a lot of new cards. I suggest to buy them once you start to get tilled of same old skills and items. They will replace 2/6 of your skill cards and 2/3 of your assets. Also, you'll get some new adventures to face in any scenario. Overall I thought I would like those expansions less, but I like them a lot. The one with Red Scorpion also comes with Advertisments goods, which is awesome for finding good items in stores. I never play without this asset deck anymore.

Comparison to 2nd ed
It depends how you played 2nd edition. If you used a lot of house rules, as I did, then your experience with 2nd ed was fine... And yet I found base game scenario and cards in 2nd ed to be meh. 2nd ed got awesome with expansions.

3rd ed. is great even without expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick comment on Zyla - I think the's interesting. She has a really cool surge ability to choose an enemy token and remove it from the next round. With some agility she can essentially do this most combat rounds, meaning the enemy will be forced to fight without one of its strongest tokens most round.

Counter to that, she's squishy at first with just 7 health. But she also gets 4 move, which also makes her unique. You probably need to start slow, but she does start with a trophy so doesn't need to do much to get going. High risk, but potentially very powerful I think.

Finally, in Fall of the Dark Star (the PvP scenario she comes with) she can choose to start with a Dark Shard. That gives +2 health but comes with a Corruption card, which gives a negative ability. Can be good, could be bad. So again... a risky hero to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.