Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Gray
United States
Rockvale
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Forgot there was already a thread about this same kind of topic. It's old, but here's the link: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/19357059

There is a card so foul, so frustrating, and so dastardly that it was struck from the game for the sake of safety and sanity.

"I guess the wench thought that was her tip."

This card is present only in the earlier sets, and was semi-unique (each deck having 1 copy of the card). The card was later decided to be too irritating and anticlimactic, and so hasn't appeared in more recent sets.

But it's still present in the older sets, which makes it even more frustrating for whichever player is using the new sets.
How can we fix this?
Obviously the easy fix is simply striking the card from any deck in which it appears. This creates a 1 card discrepancy between players' decks (39 to 40) but that's almost negligible.
Unless you're like me; anal-retentive about that kind of thing and bothered by the mere knowledge that there's a difference in deck size. It's a powerful card, too, so taking it out of the deck is a nerf to the already generally weaker older sets.

Preferred solution - Replace "IGTWTTWHT" with a different, equally powerful card. No frustration, no loss in power, no OCD-induced twitching... everyone's happy.

But, without buying a second copy of every deck that contains the offending card, the only way to replace it fairly would be to use sleeves and a printed "proxy" - which brings us back to the OCD "everything must remain homogeneous" issue.

TLDNR - "I guess the wench thought that was her tip" very frustrating to have in the game. How would you ideally like to see it dealt with in the older sets?

So, my questions
1. What card(s) --existing or new-- would you recommend to replace "IGTWTTWHT" in the older sets?
2. Would you like to see replacement cards included in a future expansion / promo pack / Kickstarter reward?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gray
United States
Rockvale
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
List of decks that include "I guess the wench thought that was her tip"

Set 1
Diedre
Fiona
Gerki
Zot

Set 2
Dimli
Eve
Fleck
Gog

Allies
(unsure)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't mind the card. Sure it can be annoying at times, but it is part of the game. Plan around it and play strategically. There is only one in a deck and not all decks have one. It is no more annoying than some of the other special one off cards that are in some of the newer characters decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a playable version of the wench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Me too. Maybe something like "take 4 gold from the ante and give it to the inn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Waller
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Mundane wrote:
Me too. Maybe something like "take 4 gold from the ante and give it to the inn."

Arguably, in many situations, that's all the Wench does.

It's just during those absolutely insane rounds of gambling, like one in every five games or so, that things go wildly out of hand and then the wench takes it all that many player freak out over. However, I personally don't see that as bad as the Drinking Contest that's a 3-way tie twice in a row. Both of those are great story telling moments of epic proportions.

I would not remove it from the other characters, however. It is far too important in maintaining the balance of power between the first three sets and later releases.

That being said, I recognize that some folks don't like the current Wench, and am all for you guys house ruling. One of the better house rules I had heard was for the Wench taking half (round up) of the Pot to maintain the spitefulness of the card, however that doesn't solve the most important aspect of it for many characters. For example, it is almost always favorable for Fiona to immediately play the card after everyone has anted and abort the entire Round of Gambling if any strong gambler antes. In this way she can avoid having to commit gold to the pot she has no chance of winning when the other characters get into an "I Raise!" war.

Some food for thought for you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, I suggest:

"Take 4 gold from the ante and give it to the inn. Divide the the remainder of the gold evenly between whatever players are still gambling. The round of gambling is over."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The card doesn't seem as bad to me since I have so many characters that don't have the card, so it doesn't show up as much. Perhaps it would make sense to remove from the decks of characters who are already good at gambling, but leave it for the characters who are bad at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.