Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One player in my group believes that:

- Players always have the right to see all five cards in your hand at any time.

- When discarding unused cards at the end of your turn, they should be placed face-up and can all be viewed by the other players, not just the top one.

I do not agree with any of these assertions.

Who is right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jez2k wrote:

- When discarding unused cards at the end of your turn, they should be placed face-up and can all be viewed by the other players, not just the top one.

Who is right?

I would say no to the first and yes to the second. Discards are open information but hands are not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
While the second statement is open for debate, I would reject it out of hand based on the ridiculousness of the first statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Jez2k wrote:

Who is right?

I would say no to the first and yes to the second. Discards are open information but hands are not.

Agreed. Really not sure what the justification is for the first.

The second is common sense IMO. Discard piles are always face up unless the game says it is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What card games has your friend been playing that his natural assumption is that hand contents are open information? Since when has that ever been the standard case in card games or deckbuilders in particular?

If he says, "It doesn't say it in the rules," please slap him for being ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ridiculous. The first point is completely wrong.

The second one - not wrong, but could get annoying if s/he's pawing through everyone's discards all the time. Unless you're a card memorizing savant or you're just looking to make sure they haven't played their big badass cards, no need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ratz

Tuscaloosa
Alabama
msg tools
mb
solanthos wrote:

The second one - not wrong, but could get annoying if s/he's pawing through everyone's discards all the time. Unless you're a card memorizing savant or you're just looking to make sure they haven't played their big badass cards, no need.

I'm assuming that OP's friends are suspicious of cheating. I know for sure I'd be leary of playing this with one of my buddies, who'd slam down his hand and say "ok I got 10 webs and I get to assassinate like three of your guys" and we're all "dude, it's like the third round"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPRatz wrote:
solanthos wrote:

I'm assuming that OP's friends are suspicious of cheating. I know for sure I'd be leary of playing this with one of my buddies, who'd slam down his hand and say "ok I got 10 webs and I get to assassinate like three of your guys" and we're all "dude, it's like the third round"

"At any time" seems way too broad though. Like you should not be allowed to look at what your opponent has in hand while you play *your* turn because that's hidden information. Obviously you should be able to look at played cards during a player's turn, which is enough to solve any cheating concerns, and I do think that cards that go to the discard without being played should also be public knowledge. You should be able to look at discard piles too since they are public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Cooper
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't an issue regarding cheating. My opponent may have watched a gameplay video or two where everyone placed their hands face-up before playing any cards, and assumed thats how its played since they didn't say otherwise.

However, I've now convinced him that we keep our 5 card hand secret until played.

And yes, the discard pile (including unplayed cards) is obviously ok for others to look at since it'll be reshuffled anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.