Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Firstly, let me start by saying I love a game with fantastic production values, gorgeous artwork, a well-integrated theme and lots of fancy plastic miniatures.

However, there are certain games that people bring down to my FLGS to play weekly that I'm really starting to enjoy. These are older Euro games, with high levels of player interaction despite having really simple rules, that are almost-abstract but barely themed, and have lots of chunky (wooden) pieces!

Games I've played like this that I really enjoyed:

Case Grande
Finca
Goa
La Citta
MarraCash
Masons
Medina
Ra
Ramparts
Taluva
Tinner's Trail
Tikal

The joy from these games really seems to come down to being ridiculously simple to learn, but having lots of decision making within them because of how "confrontational" they are. You really need to read your opponents well. Unfortunately, most of that list of games is out of print (although not all).

One observation I've made about Euro games recently is that the game "weight" and meaningful decisions within them seem to be determined by complex rules with lots of edge-cases, and not through player interaction. It's almost as if all of the good, original ideas have been used up, and so games need to become bloated, with lots of fancy components and huge rule books to be considered "complex" and/or "heavy".

Are there any Euro games being released nowadays that have that old-school feel to them, but that are in print and readily available to purchase (in the UK)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two rather new games that feel like 'oldies' are:
Council of 4 Build houses in different cities and get bonuses for connected cities or for being the first to build in all the cities of a specific colour or region. When the rules were explained to us last year at Spiel in Essen, we were playing in under 5 minutes I think and you have to look at what your opponents are doing. The modular board increases the replayability;
Ulm We played this last weekend at Spiel together with two guys from Italy (saw one of them also demoing at the Cranio, the Publisher of Council of four, but that was more just a coincident). And when we were finished we all said: this didn't feel like a new game, more like a simple fun straight forward ninties game. And we all had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d suggest Yunnan and K2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Tigris & Euphrates the other day and this seems to match your request! FFG brought out a new version in 2015 which is easy to get hold of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
-Vikings and/or The Palaces of Carrara
-Web of Power/China/Han
-Concordia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might like Rheinländer or The Golden City. They sound like they match your goals & like both immensely despite their simple rulesets and thinly adhered themes.

And I will strongly second the suggestion for Web of Power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lithuania
Vilnius/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to consider Medici, which just got a nice reprint.
Best with 4-6 and very easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici sure is a very nice light Euro and easy to grasp.

Have some doubts about the availability though. It is reprinted by Grail games. It was on Kickstarter a few months ago and I believe they only hold the distribution rights for certain countries like the US, Australia and New Sealand. Don't know if they're allowed to sell it in the UK.

(I purchased a copy at Spiel through a mule who brought it along from the US)

Medici the card game is currently on kickstarter. (with world wide shipping ;-))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if these are available in the UK, but this is what I recommend:

Five Tribes

Sail to India

Prosperity

Splendor

Evolution: The Beginning (the heavier Evolution: Climate is expected any day now)

Between Two Cities

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Trains

7 Wonders

Two player games:

Kahuna (a golden oldie recently republished)

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

7 Wonders Duel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like old school Euro games. I would see if you can get your hands on:
Santa Cruz (feels like Finca, and both are available to play on Yucata.de)
Grand Austria Hotel
ETA: Just had a look through my collection and will also add Villages of Valeria (card drafting which also works really well with 2)

I own K2 and all its expansions and I don't think it feels very Euro-y but YMMV.

Possibly Istanbul (own but not played so maybe others can weigh in on that).
Annnd...another edit Just bought and not yet played but King Chocolate might work. A post from the Heavy Cardboard Guild likens it to MarraCash which you mentioned -https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574990/king-chocolate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greendayfan333 wrote:
Played Tigris & Euphrates the other day and this seems to match your request! FFG brought out a new version in 2015 which is easy to get hold of

And Samurai. Your descriptor is knizia in a nutshell.

El grande too. I cannot think of anything new that nails this though, line your critique euros are mostly in a softer world right now, and bloated

7 wonders and 5 tribes will not bring much interaction at all though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Power grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Andersson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Five Tribes

Sail to India

Prosperity

Splendor

Evolution: The Beginning (the heavier Evolution: Climate is expected any day now)

Between Two Cities

Trains

7 Wonders

Two player games:

7 Wonders Duel

I disagree with the idea that Splendor, Between Two Cities, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Trains feel anything like the old Euro game classics. I have not played Sail to India and Prosperity, but the rest I agree are good games that could qualify, though Five Tribes and 7 Wonders are stretching it.

El Grande, Mexica, Samurai and Tigris & Euphrates have gotten recent reprints.

Kingdom Builder, Peloponnes, Concordia, and Antike II are newer euro games that feel like they could have come from the 90's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Lorenzo il Magnifico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP reminded me and when and why I got into this great hobby of ours.

Quote:
The joy from these games really seems to come down to being ridiculously simple to learn, but having lots of decision making within them because of how "confrontational" they are.

My favorite designer was, and still is, Reiner Knizia. My favorite game was, and still is, Through the Desert, which FFG have been about to reprint for years now.

TtD is one of Knizia's tile-laying trilogy. The other two games in the trilogy, Samurai and E&T/T&E have already been mentioned. They are in print. There is an app for each of the three, by the way.

OP, I pretty sure that you would like these games, especially since your list includes Medina, Ra, and La Citta. I love Medina, which is an associate member of Knizia's tile-laying trilogy, even though it was designed by Stefan Dorra. Ra is of course a Knizia design. La Citta is another big favorite of mine.

Those were the days... there were debates about whether such games should be called German-Style Games or Designer Games...

I expect you'd also like Fresco, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one said Imhotep yet? That is like almost the OPs definition of a new game but that feels like a very rules-light-but-elegant old style eurogame. Very light theme, almost abstract, with big chunky wooden pieces. One of my faves of this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
velvetvoulge wrote:
The joy from these games really seems to come down to being ridiculously simple to learn, but having lots of decision making within them ...

For your purposes and my own I am trying to play a few more times to discover if Citrus fits. Consider also relatively recent Cinque Terre.

Meanwhile I would say that others quite simple but more the age on your list could be Aquädukt and Cartagena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett X
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
velvetvoulge wrote:
The joy from these games really seems to come down to being ridiculously simple to learn, but having lots of decision making within them ...

For your purposes and my own I am trying to play a few more times to discover if Citrus fits. Consider also relatively recent Cinque Terre.

I think that Citrus would fit! Unfortunately I am still waiting to find a copy somebody would trade with me
Cinque Terre looks interesting. I will check it out too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Older games:

Taj Mahal
Aquadukt
Through the Desert
Metropolys
Clans

Newer games:

Concordia
Kingdom Builder
Keyflower (though a more complex ruleset than older Euros, the type of player interaction is reminiscent of those games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar

Chunky wooden workers.
Simple rules - either put on or pull off
Player Interaction
Great Artwork
Unique mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdom Builder
+1 Concordia
+1 Knizia's games in general

ETA - Haven't played it yet but maybe Barony?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Percan
Sweden
Malmö
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gold West was the first game I thought of when I read your post. It is an excellent, very simple euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another endorsement for Concordia here. Very simple rules, and rewards repeated play with the same group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Sanssouci fits that description - simple rules and gameplay yet engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ccxvii wrote:
Eldard wrote:

Five Tribes

Sail to India

Prosperity

Splendor

Between Two Cities

Trains

7 Wonders

Two player games:

7 Wonders Duel

I disagree with the idea that Splendor, Between Two Cities, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Trains feel anything like the old Euro game classics. I have not played Sail to India and Prosperity, but the rest I agree are good games that could qualify, though Five Tribes and 7 Wonders are stretching it.

El Grande, Mexica, Samurai and Tigris & Euphrates have gotten recent reprints.

Kingdom Builder, Peloponnes, Concordia, and Antike II are newer euro games that feel like they could have come from the 90's.

To each his own. I stand by all my selections. Of your suggestions, I would agree with Antike II; I haven't played Kingdom Builder or Peloponnes; but I disagree on Concordia, which I find burdened by the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.