Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought the Android Digital version of the game and it plays great except for the fact that it often uses words which aren't in English dictionary!! . At least not the version on dictionary.com. It's kind of frustrating when it seems like your opponent can literally make up words to beat you.

Does anybody know what dictionary the Android version of the game is using?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What words did it use that aren't real?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a british one, for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Words I can remember that have been allowed by the app even though I wouldn't:

Wonned
Santos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/wonned
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/roosing
(Both are valid Scrabble words, it seems)

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/santos
(not valid in scrabble)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The word santo, plural santos, is in Merriam-Webster. I don't see why the word would not be allowed in Scrabble. Dictionary.com seems to be referring to capitalized port city in giving a zero score.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/santo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing on iOS, and it sure seems like the AI uses lots of words that are suspicious to me. I just haven't gone to the bother of actually looking them up. Mostly because (and to me, this is really the only issue I have with the AI) I always win anyway.

I'm not trying to boast; I love the game, but I very rarely win against human opponents, so I certainly don't consider myself an expert. But I play against the "Harder AI" on this iOS version and win handily almost every time. So what do I care if she makes up a few words here and there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
Personally I would like to be able to check the short description of at least one meaning of the spelled word inside the app. That would be a cool feature, and would also help to improve my vocabulary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
Interesting. The word santo, plural santos, is in Merriam-Webster. I don't see why the word would not be allowed in Scrabble. Dictionary.com seems to be referring to capitalized port city in giving a zero score.

If you scroll down, you'll see the saint figurine definition on dictionary.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's not one all-inclusive dictionary out there, so when checking for validity, please check:

Dictionary.com (collates many resources)

Oxford Dictionaries (adds new words each year, such as "meeple", many dictionaries don't have "meeple" yet)

Collins Dictionary (includes many obsolete words)

I regularly check validity of words when playing Words with Friends, Capitals and Paperback, and I've made the mistake before of not looking in all three of the aforementioned dictionaries. If a word is in neither of those, then you may have a problem.

Also, note there's words that are not allowed because they are proper nouns such as "Minotaur". Even though it is used in modern fantasy, the mythological one is The Minotaur, not a minotaur.

Also, proper nouns sometimes mean something else, so don't think a proper noun has infiltrated by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
hgcoleman wrote:

If you scroll down, you'll see the saint figurine definition on dictionary.com

I saw that, but I was referring to your "not valid in Scrabble" comment, which I thought was originating from the "0" value in Scrabble given by dictionary.com in the right hand column that seems to be referring to the capitaized Santos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
Also, proper nouns sometimes mean something else, so don't think a proper noun has infiltrated by mistake.

For a while I thought non-foreign names were allowed (non-foreign since STALIN and NINA were rejected), but then a couple of common names were rejected. I looked the next couple up and learned or was reminded that they had actual meanings. After thinking about it that way, I started wondering if names without meanings are in the minority...

Off the top of my head: Bob, Lynn, Sue, Mark, Bill, John, Carol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mohasz wrote:
Personally I would like to be able to check the short description of at least one meaning of the spelled word inside the app. That would be a cool feature, and would also help to improve my vocabulary.

And I would like a 'hint' option to see what the AI would have done with my letters. Maybe even if it was post my turn.

Incidentally, I was a bit miffed that it rejected Hispanic and then came up with Timothy. (It's OK, I know that Hispanic is a proper adjective while a timothy is a jar.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
It rejected "Italian" for me. I don't know, those kind of words should be allowed I think.
At the same time, the AI just keeps creating words I've never even heard of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohasz wrote:
It rejected "Italian" for me. I don't know, those kind of words should be allowed I think.
At the same time, the AI just keeps creating words I've never even heard of.

Most word games reject proper nouns. I do think countries and popular proper nouns should be used but I guess they are all afraid of regular names making it in. It would have to be a carefully curated database and most of these games are not seemingly interested in personalizing gheir list of accepted words.

Still waiting for a word game with a strong interest in their community feed back that's not just providing a form to turn word suggestions in. Something with a weekly post telling us how they are improving, you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
negatrev wrote:

The game used these words which are not in dictionary.com and the Oxford Dictionary App:

Wovens
Anestri

Even if it's using multiple dictionaries that each have different words, I just like to know which ones it is using.

Id also like the option to have it ask me to proceed after AI plays it's word. It removes the word really fast, so it's sometimes hard to see what error was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
negatrev wrote:

The game used these words which are not in dictionary.com and the Oxford Dictionary App:

Wovens
Anestri

Even if it's using multiple dictionaries that each have different words, I just like to know which ones it is using.

Id also like the option to have it ask me to proceed after AI plays it's word. It removes the word really fast, so it's sometimes hard to see what error was played.

Wovens is accepted in Scrabble. Merriam Webster has it as a noun meaning "a woven fabric." Being a noun, wovens is its plural.

Anestri is a valid Scrabble word and the plural of "anestrus." Once again, according to Merriam Webster: anestrus is the period of sexual quiescence between two periods of sexual activity in cyclically breeding mammals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
[q="negatrev"]Id also like the option to have it ask me to proceed after AI plays it's word. It removes the word really fast, so it's sometimes hard to see what error was played.

In the upper left-hand corner, next to the menu/settings button, there's a log button. The word played each turn is shown there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
glouie wrote:
[q="negatrev"]Id also like the option to have it ask me to proceed after AI plays it's word. It removes the word really fast, so it's sometimes hard to see what error was played.

In the upper left-hand corner, next to the menu/settings button, there's a log button. The word played each turn is shown there.

Got it, but that doesn't allow you too see how the special abilities were used and affected the score. It's also difficult to look back and forth at the play in real time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.