Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Recommended expansions for Road to Legend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haim benisty
Israel
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

So,I've decided to buy the game but only to play it with the app.

I'm checking the various expansions for few days now, and really needs your recommendations.

I'm looking for 2-3 expansions that will add the most interest, diversify and fun to the game with the app.

I'd love to hear your recommendations and follow them.

Thanks a lot!
Haim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Anderson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
So, here we go.

1. Without a doubt, Lair of the Wyrm. This expansion is really quite important for app play because it adds what no other expansion does. The burning condition. For the Kindred Fire campaign, that is really important.

2. As long as you are able to purchase it, either Labyrinth of Ruin or Shadow of Nerekhall. Personally I reccomend LoR more, especially if you like using familiars. The hero classes from this expansion are really strong in app play. Also, Labyrinth has fewer tiles added, which for app play, is a good thing. It means less to dig through if you just shove all your tiles in a shoebox.

3.Check out some of the Hero and Monster collections, see one you might like to use. I cant reccomend "The Trollfens" or "Manor of Ravens" for app play very much, just because the hero classes are kinda lame. I also reccomend buying a leiutenant pack, like Merrick Farrow or Alric Farrow, but those arent even nearly nessecary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark P
Canada
Kitchener
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redco45 wrote:
So, here we go.

1. Without a doubt, Lair of the Wyrm. This expansion is really quite important for app play because it adds what no other expansion does. The burning condition. For the Kindred Fire campaign, that is really important.

2. As long as you are able to purchase it, either Labyrinth of Ruin or Shadow of Nerekhall. Personally I reccomend LoR more, especially if you like using familiars. The hero classes from this expansion are really strong in app play. Also, Labyrinth has fewer tiles added, which for app play, is a good thing. It means less to dig through if you just shove all your tiles in a shoebox.

3.Check out some of the Hero and Monster collections, see one you might like to use. I cant reccomend "The Trollfens" or "Manor of Ravens" for app play very much, just because the hero classes are kinda lame. I also reccomend buying a leiutenant pack, like Merrick Farrow or Alric Farrow, but those arent even nearly nessecary.

Why do you recommend Shadow of Nerekhall as an alternative to Labyrinth?

I'm in the same boat as OP. Plan on using the app only. Nabbed a Hero and Monster expansion on sale but would love to dig into some of the big box expansions.

What happens if you don't have the burning condition and play Kindred Fire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Anderson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
TheShib wrote:
Redco45 wrote:
So, here we go.

Why do you recommend Shadow of Nerekhall as an alternative to Labyrinth?

I'm in the same boat as OP. Plan on using the app only. Nabbed a Hero and Monster expansion on sale but would love to dig into some of the big box expansions.

What happens if you don't have the burning condition and play Kindred Fire?

1. Shadow of Nerekhall still has a lot of good stuff, but I myself am in a minority that thinks LoR is superior to SoN. And thats because I like the Apothecary, Treasure Hunter, and Beastmaster more than I do the Bard, Skirmisher, Shadow Walker, and Conjurer. (Hexer is just too cumbersome for solo play) SoN makes a good alternative because the classes are really great, the monsters are diverse, and the only downside I can really think of, is that there are 46 new map tiles to sort through. Thats two less than the base game alone. Worst part is, with app play you will not use 90% of these tiles. It adds up.

2.The burning condition, while not nessecary, adds new perils and monster activation types. This means that monsters (such as the Elemental or Fire Imps) can Burn you with their attacks. Its quite thematically appropriate.

(Also, Lair of the Wyrms heros and hero classes are stupid good for app play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
I would recommend the big box expansions (SoN and LoR) if you are looking for variety. Both come with 4 heroes, 4 classes, and 4 monster groups. They also add the most levels to the Delve, and unique side quests to the regular campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do what I have - buy them all. You know that you will in the end. Now to start on the Hero & Monster collections...... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
You can't really go wrong with any of the expansions. It's probably best to start with the big box expansions because of the sheer amount of stuff you get, they're easily the best bang for your buck, and then buy more as you feel the urge. The stuff that's going to matter the most for you in the app are the new heroes/classes, monsters, conditions and items, all of which are going to have an impact on your game. The Descent 2 wiki has plenty of information on what's in each box so I'd recommend checking that out and focusing on the stuff that you like the look of, but I honestly don't feel hard done by any of the boxes I've got so far.

Because it got mentioned though, don't listen to the Trollfens hate. It's nowhere near as bad as suggested above. As the designated Overlord player who paints his minis the plague worms are almost enough on their own to justify the box and while I found the Prophet lacklustre, the Stalker is downright vicious if played right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
Well the 2 big box expansions give you the most stuff for your money. But I'd suggest looking through the Descent wiki and seeing what you like: http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Descent:_Journeys_in_the_Dark_(Second_Edition)_Wiki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
I picked up Descent and four expansions so far just because of the app and for the most part I love it. However, I say wait on expansions.

Right now, there is only one side quest per expansion set. These side quests do not show up regularly, but randomly. Out of my four expansions, only two side quests have shown up, and only one of them has shown up more than once (shows up quite often, the trollfens). I have had these a while and would have thought they all would have shown up already. I also own Shadows of Nerekhall, Chains that Rust and the Manor of Ravens.

The one upside is character classes and characters are available right away and the monsters do frequently show up in quests. I think the hero and monster packs are more worthwhile at this point to add variety to the campaigns.

Until they can add more side-quests or ways these are incorporated into the campaign more, I think it is a waste of money currently. I don't think they are worth the money for a few extra classes and monsters without better rotation and more side-quests. I think you would have a lot of fun with the core set and getting extra monsters and heroes. I see the core side-quests show up very often, many times every time I start a new campaign. However, seeing the expansions I think is more difficult than trying to spot bigfoot.

But, that is just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago k
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sergeantawesome wrote:
I picked up Descent and four expansions so far just because of the app and for the most part I love it. However, I say wait on expansions.

Right now, there is only one side quest per expansion set. These side quests do not show up regularly, but randomly. Out of my four expansions, only two side quests have shown up, and only one of them has shown up more than once (shows up quite often, the trollfens). I have had these a while and would have thought they all would have shown up already. I also own Shadows of Nerekhall, Chains that Rust and the Manor of Ravens.

The one upside is character classes and characters are available right away and the monsters do frequently show up in quests. I think the hero and monster packs are more worthwhile at this point to add variety to the campaigns.

Until they can add more side-quests or ways these are incorporated into the campaign more, I think it is a waste of money currently. I don't think they are worth the money for a few extra classes and monsters without better rotation and more side-quests. I think you would have a lot of fun with the core set and getting extra monsters and heroes. I see the core side-quests show up very often, many times every time I start a new campaign. However, seeing the expansions I think is more difficult than trying to spot bigfoot.

The big box have a huge impact on The Delve now. They adds lots of new segments to the adventure.

You can see what every expansion adds on the apps collection tab by the away.

I suggest to you prioritize boxed expansions first. Adds more value in gameplay terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
kraisto wrote:
sergeantawesome wrote:

The big box have a huge impact on The Delve now. They adds lots of new segments to the adventure.

You can see what every expansion adds on the apps collection tab by the away.

I suggest to you prioritize boxed expansions first. Adds more value in gameplay terms.

Thanks! Could you clarify "prioritize expansions?" Does that help the app when selecting side quests? Or is that a suggestion to purchase those first? And I write down the side quests prior to starting a campaign so I can see if they show up as side quests during it. However, Chains and Nerekhall still have not shown up.

And I picked up Delve, but got destroyed pretty quickly. Sometimes monsters hand out a ton of damage on that first dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.