Subject: Mechball - A team based 2v2 Football varient for Mechs vs Minions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Ringer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I have played a few games of MvM (the tutorial and the first game) and I instantly had an idea for a variant: Mechball. Rules are hastily written and have not been tested a lot but I would love your feedback and I will probably test it more and see if there is anything else I can add. Also, there are mechanics being added to the game every mission so there might be more stuff (like schematic cards) that I could add with more testing.

Mechball plays a little like football (or soccer) but with Mech!

You need:

2x Boards (your pick)
4x Mechs
1x Bomb
1x Minuteglass (optional)
Damage Deck
Command Deck
4x Crystals
Compass & dice

The game is a team-based game of 2 mechs vs 2 mechs. Cab be played either as 2 players controlling 2 mechs each or 2 teams of 2 players using 1 mech each.
Setup:
Place the two boards next to each other and make goals on either short side using the crystals. The goals should be 2 spaces wide (use the crystals as goal posts so place these outside of the goal).

Each team takes 2 of the mechs and chooses on 'end' (a board). Place your mechs on any space on your end and flip a coin to determine who has kickoff. That team can place the bomb wherever they like on their board.

Aim:
Score a set number of goals (determine this yourself).

Game Play:
Each turn each team is deal 5 cards and chooses 2 for a mech and sets them (similar to the 2 player rules for the main game). Optional rule - use the Minuteglass so that each team only has 1 minute to select and program the mechs.

Note: It is important to select a 'lead player' on each team for the sake of Memory Core, this should switch between the players every turn.

Then each team chooses a mech to activate and executes it's entire command line. The team to activate a mech first should start with the player who had kick-off but should them alternate each round.

So if you have 2 teams (A & B) and A had kick off the activate round would be:
A (choice of either)
B (choice of either)
A (remaining)
B (remaining)

then the next round it would switch to:
B (choice of either)
A (choice of either)
B (remaining)
A (remaining)

Damage:
Mechs can damage other mechs on the opposing team but not mechs on their team.

Dribbling and Kicking:
Mechs can dribble the ball (the same rules as pushing) but also kick. Kicking has the advantage that you can kick the ball over players etc. When kicking you must have the bomb in front of you and instead of executing a move card you move the only bomb that many spaces. Then roll the rune die and move the bomb one space in the roll direction on the compass (to simulate the wind etc.)

Scoring a goal:
If you get the bomb into the gap between the crystal goal posts on the opposition goal you score a goal. Record this and the reset the board and command lines. The team which conceded the goal has the kick-off.

Would love your thoughts on the variant, seems like a cool way to play team games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too lazy to post a meme, but if I wasn't, it would be of a person clapping and crying. Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I'm too lazy to post a meme, but if I wasn't, it would be of a person clapping and crying. Bravo!

I'll do that for you.

to OP:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might consider splitting the command deck equally, so both teams have an equal chance of getting certain cards, and won't get locked out due to a bad draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It might be possible to add a set amount of minions on each team as extra "players" who get in the way of the other team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolenka
msg tools
webslinger9 wrote:
I might consider splitting the command deck equally, so both teams have an equal chance of getting certain cards, and won't get locked out due to a bad draw.

Another approach there is to deal 5 cards to the whole group for drafting (so the two teams draft against each other). You could have the first acting team draft first, although this means they both get an extra card and get to act first. So you could say the team not acting first drafts first.

Once the teams have drafted, they can figure out where to put their 2-3 cards, with each mech getting at least one at a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about an MvM football variant last night, I am glad someone had the same idea It probably it is a good one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.M. Woggle-Bug, T.E.
msg tools
Royal College of Arts and Athletic perfection
badge
Inventor of Knowledge Pills
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, gotta try this.

Some ideas:

Card draft - Both teams draft from the same pool...

(European football variant) Bidding system - Include a bidding system using supporters (minions) as currency. Players might earn support depending on how far they advance the ball. Stack your supporters behind your goal. If you want to keep the football spirit, you can start a fight between your supporters...

(American football variant) Timeout rule - A team can call a limited number of time outs (use sand timer) during which the command cards can be freely switched between mechs and/or on the command line...

(Rugby variant) No idea. But it would definitely be the best variant.

Hello, Riot Games. How about a bSports (b for boardgame) variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vatan emen
Turkey
flag msg tools
Well played my friend, well played. Imho, you should put this into a pdf and upload to BGG. This way you can update and versionize by time. And in my selfish opinion, i can easily track it if you update some rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charlesworth wrote:
Hello all,

I have played a few games of MvM (the tutorial and the first game) and I instantly had an idea for a variant: Mechball. Rules are hastily written and have not been tested a lot but I would love your feedback and I will probably test it more and see if there is anything else I can add. Also, there are mechanics being added to the game every mission so there might be more stuff (like schematic cards) that I could add with more testing.

Mechball plays a little like football (or soccer) but with Mech!

You need:

2x Boards (your pick)
4x Mechs
1x Bomb
1x Minuteglass (optional)
Damage Deck
Command Deck
4x Crystals
Compass & dice

The game is a team-based game of 2 mechs vs 2 mechs. Cab be played either as 2 players controlling 2 mechs each or 2 teams of 2 players using 1 mech each.
Setup:
Place the two boards next to each other and make goals on either short side using the crystals. The goals should be 2 spaces wide (use the crystals as goal posts so place these outside of the goal).

Each team takes 2 of the mechs and chooses on 'end' (a board). Place your mechs on any space on your end and flip a coin to determine who has kickoff. That team can place the bomb wherever they like on their board.

Aim:
Score a set number of goals (determine this yourself).

Game Play:
Each turn each team is deal 5 cards and chooses 2 for a mech and sets them (similar to the 2 player rules for the main game). Optional rule - use the Minuteglass so that each team only has 1 minute to select and program the mechs.

Note: It is important to select a 'lead player' on each team for the sake of Memory Core, this should switch between the players every turn.

Then each team chooses a mech to activate and executes it's entire command line. The team to activate a mech first should start with the player who had kick-off but should them alternate each round.

So if you have 2 teams (A & B) and A had kick off the activate round would be:
A (choice of either)
B (choice of either)
A (remaining)
B (remaining)

then the next round it would switch to:
B (choice of either)
A (choice of either)
B (remaining)
A (remaining)

Damage:
Mechs can damage other mechs on the opposing team but not mechs on their team.

Dribbling and Kicking:
Mechs can dribble the ball (the same rules as pushing) but also kick. Kicking has the advantage that you can kick the ball over players etc. When kicking you must have the bomb in front of you and instead of executing a move card you move the only bomb that many spaces. Then roll the rune die and move the bomb one space in the roll direction on the compass (to simulate the wind etc.)

Scoring a goal:
If you get the bomb into the gap between the crystal goal posts on the opposition goal you score a goal. Record this and the reset the board and command lines. The team which conceded the goal has the kick-off.

Would love your thoughts on the variant, seems like a cool way to play team games.

Awesome post! I am definitely going to give this a try.

webslinger9 wrote:

I think this is a great Idea.

Adding new rules for runes and minion spawns and bonuses for killing minions etc could also be factored in. I will have to get some games under my belt 1st

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I love the this whole idea. Bravo!

livio wrote:
Card draft - Both teams draft from the same pool...
Kolenka wrote:
Another approach there is to deal 5 cards to the whole group for drafting (so the two teams draft against each other).

Yes, yes! I think having a competitive draft would be a great system. One way to balance the draft would be that the team with the minuteglass drafts 1 card, then the opposing team drafts 2, then the first team drafts another.

They both end up with 2 cards each round, and of course the minuteglass would switch between teams each round as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Twitch.tv/Robust_Porter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about if you are in range to "attack" the bomb, it moves one space in that direction. This would keep the bomb and game moving quickly?

For example the bomb is diagonally from you and you have a Scythe. When you Scythe the bomb it will move one space diagonally. Could be fun. Or if you attack when its directly in front of you it moves up one space. Think of this as an addition to the dribbling or kicking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played this variant tonight and at first we felt the game was rather bland. It took quite some time (20 min?) before one of us managed to score.

Then we made several adjustments:

- Board size 2x2.
- Players draft from shared pool of 5 cards.
- First player choose to draft card first or move first.
- Memory Core is modified into: add X cards to the draft pool and the player with Memory Core get extra cards after all players do their normal draft.
- Minions start on runes. During minions phase, roll the rune die. Move the minions to that direction, spawn minions on runes of that colour and do damage to mechs as usual.
- Team A use upper part of the board to count minion kill and advance their gear. Team B use lower part of the board (the rune shields and the Danger number).
- Each Team can unlock schematics for their mechs from the start based on certain points (example: schematics with 15 points total, shared in one team).

In our opinion, the game is more fun with the changes, especially with minions on the board. There is a sense of achievement when you kill minions, place them on the board and see the gear advance, making the game more exciting between goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So first I would like to thank you for this fantastic idea it immediately seemed like a great way to incorporate the game mechanisms and components into a player vs player mode. It also sounded fun.

So I gave it a go.

It was indeed fun but I felt that there were things that needed some tweaking - at least for me.

I experimented some and came up with a set of changes and rules that after play testing a few times was both fun and balanced and let the game move at what I thought was a good pace.

Feel free to comment and contribute, and I defiantly don't mean to step on your toes Charlie, just thought I would share. Thanks again Charlie!

The post is a little long so the rules to my version of the variant on in the next post:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs Mechs Soccer/rugby Rules.

Attach 2 MvM boards to create the field.
Play the game for as many goals as you like, I have been playing first team to 2 wins.
The goal/endzone is the last 2 complete columns of the board (no goal posts) (note: the field is a little shorter than I would have liked, but I wanted to allow the possibility of towing the ball into the endzone)
The game can be played with 2 or 4 mechs total.
Player order goes in alternating order: 1a,2a,1b,2b with the starting player continuously rotating.
Every time someone scores a goal the rotation order switches direction. (I think this is a good idea but I forgot to try it)
After a goal is scored the ball is placed on the farther side of the midfield line. As close to the center as possible the team that got scored on chooses which of the 2 spaces.
Initial Game Setup: (Team A: A, C and Team B: B, D. Ball: O)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|C|_|_|_|O|_|_|_|_|D|_|
|_|_|_|A|_|_|_|B|_|_|_|_|

A round of the game should be played like this:
Both teams have a couple of minutes to discuss what they want to do (after 1 team is ready, the other team is limited to 3 hour glass spans – can be modified as you see fit)
A regular game round looks as such:
First player draws 5 cards and places them on the table; he then goes through these regular player steps:

1. The player has to slot any damage cards he has received.
2. The player drafts 1 card (1 hour glass to do this) and decides what to do with it: slot, swap, repair damage, or discard with no effect.
3. He then operates his full command line of his mech.
It is now the next player’s turn. He will repeat the regular player steps with fewer options to draft from.

And so forth.

Just for the first draft:
In reverse player order each mech drafts 1 card from an initial 10 options. Once each player has 1 card (does not need to be slotted yet) Starting with the first player all players follow the Regular player steps noted above, players can slot both cards as they wish.

Damage:
If a player’s mech (Attacking Mech – AM) ever fires at an opposing mech the damaged mech (DM) draws 1 damage. At the end of the current turn the DM flips the damage cards in the order received, and executes the instructions without slotting the damage. The damage card will be slotted at the beginning of their turn in the slot of their choice. They are not allowed to slot over a previously damaged slot.
Special Cases:
If a mech moves forward with the skewer command and pushes another mech the receiving mech gains 1 damage.
If a player receives damage cards, at the end of the active player’s turn he may decide not to receive them and blow a fuel tank instead, deal damage cards appropriately if you do. Do not look at the damage cards before you do so.

Pushing/Towing:
Pushing and Towing works according to the regular MvM rules.

Attacking the ball:
The ball is not damaged and reacts differently depending on the type of attack that was used:
Common Attack (no specific sub-section below): When the ball is in the target area the ball is hit and may be moved 1 space in any direction. 8 possible directions, the ball can also stay put.
Chain Lightening: The ball may be moved 1 space in any direction. The player is allowed to chain thru other opposing mechs and minions. You may also chain thru the ball, but may not move the ball multiple times with a single chain lightning command.
Ripsaw: The ball may be moved 1 space in any direction. A higher level of Ripsaw will allow players to hit the ball thru other targets, mechs do not block Ripsaw although opposing mechs do get damaged.

Damage Overflow rule:
If a player ever find himself with all 6 slots full with damage cards he is allowed to not draft a card and reboot his mech – remove all cards from the player’s command line including damage and command cards. The mech will be immobile for a full round (cannot receive damage) and will join the draft at the start of the next round.

Current Minion idea (adds randomness):
Minions are fans, but they have been drinking and were probably rather crazy to begin with, they line up on the sidelines, and try to join the action, sometimes streaking across the field with no thought for their own safety or how they are affecting the game.
Line up minions on both side lines (outermost row of the board – 24 minions total). At the end of each round roll 1 rune-dice and move all the minions 1 step in that direction. Then spawn new minions on that color rune. Deal damage as normal.
During the minion attack phase If a minion is ever adjacent to the ball roll the rune dice and move the ball in that direction (in some cases the minion will squash himself with the ball-current player receives the kill) The ball is not damaged. Only 1 minion can hit the ball in any given minion phase. A mech can receive at most 1 damage card during the minion attack.
Keep track of minion kills per team by placing them on the Team gear and Doom track (1 track per team) when the 8th kill is done the player who killed the minion may draw 1 additional Command Card immediately and choose what to do with it. When a player kills the team’s 15th minion the player may perform his overdrive ability at the start of his next turn.

After trying out the minion idea, I think it causes too much chaos. Players get too much damage (even after I limited the damage to 1 per minion attack).
I might try a scenario where the minions do not move, perhaps just spawn, it definitely adds a lot of randomness to a variant that otherwise I found works pretty smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After another play-through (without any minions this time)

the game flows real well, the only problem i have is i think the filed is too short.

I am considering using 3 boards in a row.

Once the mechs are strong and well upgraded the goals are quite quick.
The 2 teams traded goals 1 after the other.
Perhaps leaving 1 player as a goalie would have been a good idea, but none of us was patient enough.

Would a longer board work, maybe. Perhaps narrow the goal posts, thats not a bad idea, ill try that first.

Another idea is that after a goal the mechs reset to starting positions, not just the ball

p.s
at first the thought of narrowing(creating goal posts) makes more sense for leaving a goalie behind, but the problem is that an opposing mech pushing the ball with level 2 speed will push thru the goalie.

To sum it up:
Ill create a goal and see how hard it is to score, I will also reset mech positions after every goal, lets see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.