United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
***Sorry folks, I totally screwed up a couple lines in the poll, and can't edit it now! To be clear the 4th line is supposed to be Carcassonne (any edition), the 5th line is supposed to be Codenames or Codenames Pictures, and the 6th line is just supposed to be Deception: Murder in Hong Kong.***

If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 376th TGIF Poll
1. The Dice Tower guys recently released a new list of Essential Games that Everyone Should Own. (To be clear, they do this list with some special qualifiers and constantly make it clear that they are a bit tongue-in-cheek with that title "everyone should own".)

So which of these games do you own?
  I own it I used to own it, but don't now I don't own it, but want to I don't own it, and have no interest (or don't even know the game)
7 Wonders
BANG! The Dice Game
Blood Rage
Carcassonne
Codenames (any edition)
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong or Codenames: Pictures
Dixit
Dominion
Dr. Eureka
Five Tribes
For Sale
King of Tokyo
Onitama
Pandemic
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
Raptor
Shadows over Camelot
Sheriff of Nottingham
Small World
Splendor
Stone Age
Sushi Go! or Sushi Go Party!
Ticket to Ride (any edition)
Time's Up! Title Recall!
3. Their list was kind of framed around the idea of having one essential game for each of a variety of different categories. Do you try to vary your collection like that and have a little bit of everything?
My collection is extremely diverse and loaded with all kinds of different styles of games
My collection is mostly varied, although there are certainly some categories I don't care about and intentionally don't own games in those categories
My collection has a little variety, but there's definitely a preponderance of specific types of games I like
My collection is not varied at all, because I like a lot of games in the one or two styles that fit my taste
      357 answers
Poll created by Blott

4. Suggest a game not on their list that you think would be an "essential" game for most gamers to have in their collection.

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
wouldn't it be weird if coincidences never happened?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own only Caracssone, Dixit, Shadows over Camelot and Stoneage of this list. I'm not interested in 90% of the ones I don't own and the rest is owned by friends.
But I know that my tastes rarily matches that of Tom Vassel and the rest so I'm not to concerned about this. (i don't watch any of their stuff for a variety of reasons)

A game every gamer should have:

lap dance of course

or maybe Case Blue

I think that essentials like this are mostly bollocks, as it's a matter of taste and what your opponents want to play more then anything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Settlers of Catan

I know it's not necessarily "fashionable" nowadays, but I still think it's one of the first games that should be in every collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, their list is AWFUL.

But then that's what I expect from Dice Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4. I think the list needs a gateway wargame (Small World doesn't count). At the very least something like Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well crud! I have all these games, but only have 4 of the ESSENTIAL games!! Guess I have to start all over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Chess or Go. Preferably both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would have been a lot more reasonable if it had been games everybody should PLAY, instead of OWN. Or even games that have a high chance of going over well with new players, or somesuch.
As is, it's probably the top ten list I've been least enthused about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
4. I think the list needs a gateway wargame (Small World doesn't count). At the very least something like Memoir '44.

+1 Memoir, Battle Cry or any game from the C&C series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that any games are essential as people's tastes differ significantly. I still think everyone should own a basic deck of cards and have 1 or 2 games that they enjoy with people in a more tradiational setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Where to start...

I think any list of essentials has to include
Power Grid
Twilight Struggle
Deep Sea Adventure
Dark Moon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I'll break this down for me:

14 Games I own = Bang Dice, Carcassonne, Codenames, Deception, Dominion, Five Tribes, For Sale, King of Tokyo, Pandemic, Pandemic Legacy, Shadows Over Camelot, Sushi Go, Ticket to Ride, Time's Up!

3 Games I used to own, but got rid of because I didn't like/play them enough = Dixit, Small World, Stone Age

1 Game I want to own = Splendor

6 Games I don't want to own = 7 Wonders, Blood Rage, Dr. Eureka, Onitama, Raptor, Sheriff of Nottingham

2 - Carcassonne, Dominion, Pandemic, and Ticket to Ride feel like the most broad appeal games and ones that have rightfully made the jump to a more mass market.

3 - I lean towards lighter, family, and party games. There are a lot of genres I don't even look at like wargames, heavy euros, or long dungeon crawls. I do have some variety in my collection, but it's certainly not going to have games for everyone.

4 - I think Thebes is a great example of a game that has a broad appeal because it blends so many different styles of game into one. Also it pulls off the mix of thematic and mechanical gameplay in a way that is very rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Where to start...

I think any list of essentials has to include
Power Grid
Twilight Struggle
Deep Sea Adventure
Dark Moon

Wow, you just listed 2 games I've never even heard of, and you think of them as essentials? I need to look into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the boys at dice tower, but I'm not of the "everyone needs to own this game" mindset. Everyone should own games they enjoy. I skipped right over Ticket to Ride and Catan (not on this list, but many consider it essential) and just bought what I wanted. I do own and enjoy Carcassonne, but of course there are people who do not.

Still, top tens are always fun and can offer good ideas, especially for new gamers who don't quite know what they like yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I think it would have been a lot more reasonable if it had been games everybody should PLAY, instead of OWN. Or even games that have a high chance of going over well with new players, or somesuch.
As is, it's probably the top ten list I've been least enthused about.

Sure, I get that. I think the titling of the list is meant to be a bit of clickbait, hence the overly imperative tone in the title. It was quite funny to hear Zee and Sam give Tom grief for Pandemic Legacy because why would every gamer in a group need to own that game "So who's copy do we want to play this week?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
Meh, not a fan of the list.

Game gamers must own? I agree with someone putting Settlers up there. Frankly, I believe Puerto Rico is one everyone should own. Acquire, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, Raptor is the only essential game for two players. I wouldn't have guessed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the following GeekList in 2010, and it's still as relevant today as the day I posted it:

Jeff Wolfe's 'Games Every Gamer Should Own'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 10/24 of these games, which I think is a pretty healthy percentage. A few of them, such as Splendor and Pandemic, I "outgrew" without ever having purchased.

My gaming group is made up of new gamers, so we mostly play medium-weight games that take about an hour. For me, it's at least a pretty good ambition to have a diverse collection of games, especially when you have a game group that has different interests. My goal is to get one or two GREAT games from just about every category, and I'm most of the way there, I would say. Still trying to grab a war-game or two (I'm looking at 1775: Rebellion, and maybe Memoir '44 if I can get past the annoying command cards flaw).

Gotta get a geeklist going for that sooner or later - how many distinct 'categories' of games does BGG even recognize? EDIT: Looks like they recognize 51 distinct mechanics, so 2 games in each would put me right around 100 games. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Their list was kind of framed around the idea of having one essential game for each of a variety of different categories

What an all around idiotic notion. Given the price and shelf space taken by games these days, why on earth should anyone own any more games than the ones that they like to play? If you like every type of game or are a Completionist, then great - have one or more of each, but if you don't (and I expect this is most people), then why own games you won't play just because someone else thinks it's "essential"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
Quote:
Their list was kind of framed around the idsupposed toa of having one essential game for each of a variety of different categories

What an all around idiotic notion. Given the price and shelf space taken by games these days, why on earth should anyone own any more games than the ones that they like to play? If you like every type of game or are a Completionist, then great - have one or more of each, but if you don't (and I expect this is most people), then why own games you won't play just because someone else thinks it's "essential"?

There can be value to just having a wide range of different games. Some people enjoy the variety of mechanics, other people host game nights and like to have options for people who might show up with different tastes. As I said above, you could end up with two games from every mechanic and have 100 games, which is small by BGG standards. And assuming some of those mechanics will overlap and/or one game will fill multiple mechanics, you could be talking as low as 60-75, which is pretty reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
Apparently, Raptor is the only essential game for two players. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Onitama is also an exclusively 2-player game, and many of the others work very well with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any game is "Essential" and everyone should own it. Everyone's tastes are different and it's really an individual thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
quill65 wrote:
Quote:
Their list was kind of framed around the idsupposed toa of having one essential game for each of a variety of different categories

There can be value to just having a wide range of different games. Some people enjoy the variety of mechanics, other people host game nights and like to have options for people who might show up with different tastes. As I said above, you could end up with two games from every mechanic and have 100 games, which is small by BGG standards. And assuming some of those mechanics will overlap and/or one game will fill multiple mechanics, you could be talking as low as 60-75, which is pretty reasonable.

Also they're making a list that literally any type of gamer could come across and watch, so focusing their list in on 1 or 2 mechanisms that they really like would be pointless, because it would be a list that is only useful to them. They're trying to make a list that will help others in some way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
Randombias wrote:

Onitama is also an exclusively 2-player game, and many of the others work very well with 2 players.

I stand corrected, you're absolutely right about Onitama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.