• [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll get a friendlier reception in the general gaming forum, where they talk about... games.

This forum is specifically for non-gaming stuff. Some of the people here hesitate to even type the word in this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why has it got a picture of someone holding up the Earth on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
I think you'll get a friendlier reception in the general gaming forum, where they talk about... games.

This forum is specifically for non-gaming stuff. Some of the people here hesitate to even type the word in this forum.

Or even over on VGG, where people talk about video games! Still, I'm jealous. I won't be picking it up until it's on sale with an expansion (because let's be honest, the originals of the series have been underwhelming standalone for the last couple release.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

I imagine people in gaming forums already know this info, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to point it out here in, you know, a friendly chatty environment where people discuss this and that even if it treads on the taboo subject of games every now and again.

Just looking for a "cool, I need to check that out too." or "Yeah, I'm excited to play too." Not a detailed discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdberry wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I appreciate the condescension, but yeah, I've been here a while, likely longer than you (so perhaps I should know better) (so perhaps I should know that the rules are leveraged from time to time) (etc...)
I wasn't trying to be condescending. I don't keep track of everybody in Chit Chat and honestly had no idea if you'd ever posted in there before. The no-game-posting rule comes up all the time, so the fact that you posted a thread about a game suggested that you hadn't been around Chit Chat long enough to know it. I was just trying to be helpful. But if you want to see it as a condescending attack, sure.

jdberry wrote:
Just looking for a "cool, I need to check that out too." or "Yeah, I'm excited to play too." Not a detailed discussion.
I don't know what to say... there's forums where you would have gotten that. Chit Chat isn't the place I would have tried to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
jdberry wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I appreciate the condescension, but yeah, I've been here a while, likely longer than you (so perhaps I should know better) (so perhaps I should know that the rules are leveraged from time to time) (etc...)
I wasn't trying to be condescending. I don't keep track of everybody in Chit Chat and honestly had no idea if you'd ever posted in there before. The no-game-posting rule comes up all the time, so the fact that you posted a thread about a game suggested that you hadn't been around Chit Chat long enough to know it. I was just trying to be helpful. But if you want to see it as a condescending attack, sure.

I edited my post, because I realize I was being defensive.

My apologies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is at home, waiting on my porch.

I was going to hestitate--the first release tends to, uh, need work--but Amazon had a deal for prime members and I couldn't pass it up.

Sadly, I have a bunch of stuff to do this weekend, so we'll see.

Then again, I have a week off from work in two weeks, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just hope it's better than V. I was sorely disappointed in V. And mayhap having Atlas is showing that the game is going to be heavy like the Earth on your back rather than being Zeus with the Earth at your feet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
jdberry wrote:
[q="Thunkd"]
[q="jdberry"]Just looking for a "cool, I need to check that out too." or "Yeah, I'm excited to play too." Not a detailed discussion.
I don't know what to say... there's forums where you would have gotten that. Chit Chat isn't the place I would have tried to find it.

This is where I respectfully disagree. There have been game discussions here in past threads. We have gaming at our core, or why would we be here. But we have other interests.

So when discussions of books or whatever come up, we talk about them. Even if a book forum or whatever might be a better place for books, etc...

Well, I'll end it here, I suppose. The discussion of proper places to post things is like a copyright thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Or even over on VGG, where people talk about video games! Still, I'm jealous. I won't be picking it up until it's on sale with an expansion (because let's be honest, the originals of the series have been underwhelming standalone for the last couple release.)

All I hear on VGG is crickets chirping--which is admittedly circular.

The originals of damn near everything have been crap since they could update over the Internet. A lot of publishers routinely put out crap, then fix it with an "expansion". I've stopped buying games at release. Besides, if it's a good game, it'll still be a good game buying it a year later in the end of year sale at $20 for it and expansions and all DLC.

I like Civ V, and I liked it "stock". I've been considering playing a game with the expansions turned off. Civ has just been getting too obese. They're confusing complexity with depth. In some ways Civ III was about right, but my (fallible) memory of Civ V stock is that it was simpler and more playable than Civ V + both expansions--I would miss some of the expansion civs, though.

Civ VI has some great concepts, but while they've unnecessarily borrowed some board game tropes (playing "cards" to set your government type? Seriously?*), the game is way too complex. Not only does it have money and science and culture and faith and a bunch of different flavors of great person points and diplomacy points for each civ and spy points (and I'm probably forgetting stuff), now it has a civics tech tree in addition to the science tech tree, little quests for freaking everything (which I think are going to get boring fast), hidden motives for civs.... I watched a multiplayer demo of Civ VI, and a lot of explanations were, "We took ___ out because it's too slow for multiplayer." But somehow wonderful for single player? Looks like a train wreck. End of 2017 for $20...maybe.

(*Stellaris is using "cards" for research. shake)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, but I will wait for a lower price before buying. I just bought Civ 5 with all the expansions, so I have that to keep me entertained.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're just not on the right VGG thread. I mean, there's really only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, I'll talk about it. But, then, I'll talk about just about anything...

I got the predownload completed last night, and played some today. Have to be honest, I was very skeptical - Civ IV is my go-to version of Civ, and V really was a miss with me. Since VI was a continuation/based on V, I was very concerned I'd not care for it.

Still, I LOVE civ overall, and I'd been told that many improvements had been introduced to V after I had stopped playing that had improved the overall gameplay - and those improvements were included in VI. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

Played for a few hours today - the tutorial to refresh my memory of how the mechanics work, and then played a little on single player. Initial response was, I'm afraid, much like it was for Civ V - "Hey, this is OK, but it'd be so much better if it was like Civ IV...". In the end, I actually quit and booted up a game of Civ IV for the rest of the morning...

Now, I'm not giving up yet - it does occur to me that I'm probably just not yet familiar enough with the specifics of VI and how all the mechanics mesh together (for example, terrain and adjacency bonuses for districts) so I'm not getting everything I could out of the game. I'm probably in fact limiting myself by trying to play the game like I would Civ IV. So I need to give it a chance to learn it like it's a completely new game.

I'm going to keep trying it out, and I'm determined to give it a fair shake. Still, at least so far, Civ IV remains my all-time favorite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
You're just not on the right VGG thread. I mean, there's really only one.

One thread to rule them all etc etc.

But yeah, like a lot of others, I'Lloyd just wait for a sale with expansions in a year or so. Between Civs IV, V and Beyond Earth, I shall not want for Civ gaming in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jdberry wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

I imagine people in gaming forums already know this info, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to point it out here in, you know, a friendly chatty environment where people discuss this and that even if it treads on the taboo subject of games every now and again.

Ignore Thunkd. He gets that way.

I'm excited about Civ VI, but it just happens to come out the same week as Battlefield One, so it'll have to wait a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
But yeah, like a lot of others, I'Lloyd just wait for a sale with expansions in a year or so. Between Civs IV, V and Beyond Earth, I shall not want for Civ gaming in the meantime.

I've considered Beyond Earth, but watching a playthrough, it seems even slower than Civ V, which isn't exactly blinding even on Quick. Any counter opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
My copy is waiting for.....oh wait, that's right. I only have a Mac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
toku42 wrote:

I've considered Beyond Earth, but watching a playthrough, it seems even slower than Civ V, which isn't exactly blinding even on Quick. Any counter opinions?

If you think Civ V is slow, I don't see how you could like any civ game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
toku42 wrote:

Hmmm I think it's probably a bit faster, but I've just always accepted Civ at standard pace for what it is, so it's hard for me to judge. With Rising Tide I think it manages to differentiate itself enough from Civ V go be worthwhile. Maybe around $20 on sale for the whole package would be about right, if the sci-fi thing wets your whistle at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played civ in AGES. I wonder if Gandhi still nuts out and tries to nuke everyone in this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I'm boggled that people buy a physical copy of a game still. I didn't know that was still a thing.

Strangely, a legal distinction still exists in the US, I understand. A physical copy falls under the old VCR laws that let you make backups and move a copy from, for instance, DVD to flash drive. A license for a download or a Steam key is just a license; you don't actually own the game.

Banichi wrote:
I haven't played civ in AGES. I wonder if Gandhi still nuts out and tries to nuke everyone in this version.

Early in the Civ series, Gandhi was ultimately peaceful. A one on the agression scale. But if you adopted Democracy, two would be subtracted to try to make him even more peaceful.

Unfortunately, the aggression scale was an unsigned integer, what in US grade school parlance is called a whole number, going zero, one, two, ... but not including negative numbers. So one minus two became the highest agression score possible, 255, and Ghandi went bat-crap crazy.

This was amusing, so it's become a Civilization tradition to have crazy Gandhi. While Gandhi is now peaceful, if you do get him mad, he's most likely to use nuclear weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran the comparability test on my (year old) PC last night and it failed both on the video card and CPU. I'm not dropping $800 on a new computer just to run a game, so it looks like there will be no Civ VI for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My copy is waiting for.....oh wait, that's right. I only have a Mac.

Aspyr should have the Mac version out pretty soon. My rMBP is just a bit below spec (2 core i5 vs 4 core i5) so I'm going to have to wait to see some feedback on how it runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Youells wrote:
I ran the comparability test on my (year old) PC last night and it failed both on the video card and CPU. I'm not dropping $800 on a new computer just to run a game, so it looks like there will be no Civ VI for me.

Year old PC not up to it? Sounds strange. Anyhow, I've had early reports that VI runs much smoother than V.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.