South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi!

Treebeard promo card states:
Quote:
- Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "The Ents Awake" Event Card or Combat Card effect, once he is in play.

But Treebeard revised card says:
Quote:
- Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "March of the Ents" Event card, or a Call to Battle [card?] effect for the Ents.

There is an important difference between them.

With the revised effects, can Free People player change Treebeard's Level into two after they use a corresponding card even if Treebeard is not in play yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diederik D.
Belgium
Brasschaat
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeil wrote:
Hi!

Treebeard promo card states:
Quote:
- Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "The Ents Awake" Event Card or Combat Card effect, once he is in play.

But Treebeard revised card says:
Quote:
- Treebeard is Level 2 after you use any "March of the Ents" Event card, or a Call to Battle [card?] effect for the Ents.

There is an important difference between them.

With the revised effects, can Free People player change Treebeard's Level into two after they use a corresponding card even if Treebeard is not in play yet?

Positive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwang Il Kim
South Korea
Seoul
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, Diederik!

The revised Treebeard looks slightly better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skeil wrote:
Thanks, Diederik!

The revised Treebeard looks slightly better.

I disagree.

The only difference with a revised Treebeard is that it is slightly easier to be brought into play, since you can use a Faction Recruit action to bring him, instead of a really, really important Muster.

That's it. Since the revised card naturally assumes you are playing with the WoMe expansion pack, which reduces Treebeard's usefulness to a significant degree, it's arguable it is slightly better just because it is now easier to bring him into play.

And when we're at it, many people have commented that the Faction Die is normally completely weaker than the standard Action Dice, so a Muster is significantly more relevant, in order to either play those powerful mustering Strategic Event Cards, or to muster desperately somewhere where it is at stake. I actually disagree with this assumption; since the Faction die is only used once per turn, it is of immense importance for the game. If you cannot bring forth a new faction, you're definitely recruiting a new unit for an existing one. The only conceivable situation in which it would be quite a waste is an extremely rare scenario in which, after, say, Turn 5 or 6, you recruit all 8 units of a single Faction (which considers quite a bit of luck, drawing the correct cards and perhaps even redrawing them back into your hand and using them up again, if not normal Recruitment), you roll a Recruit on the Faction Die and you are both out of units to add and are unable to bring forth a new Faction into the game because the conditions haven't been met.

On the other hand, I've often had situations in my games where a Muster later into the game had little or no use. I have no mustering cards in my hand and mustering on the board is of little to no importance, since the important Strongholds are under siege and recruiting a single unit here or there would not even be a nuisance, especially since all the Settlements are pretty far away; and one (or both, if Gandalf the White is in play) of the Elf lords are already in play. In situations such as those, a Muster may often be actually of weaker use than a Recruit Faction (at least it seems that way, until you look at WoMe itself)!

If you integrate WoMe, then a Muster gets even more precious overall, since there are now also Faction Cards that use them, and not only that - Factions can be brought into play using them (the first one can be AFAIK brought only that way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.