9 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Gate spawn effect and monster placement. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
I wonder which rules interpretation is correct as of monster placement while spawning a gate?

The rules state on page 10 that every time I spawn a gate, I must place the spawned monster on THE SAME SPACE (it's bolded). But when you turn to page 11 you'll read that every time you spawn a monster its necessary to apply spawn icon effects, so the placement of the monster can change according to monster reverse description (spawn not on gate, but on different location).

The quick reference sheet which we can download in file section has the "spawn icon" described under "monster surge", and not under "gate spawn" effect.

So the question is:
do we apply the "spawn icon" effect when spawning a gate? or do the monster must stay in place of spawned gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you apply spawn effects. This sometimes results in politely undefeated gates.

If it were otherwise, those spawn effects would never do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You follow the instructions on the monsters spawn effect. Rules on cards/tokens always take precedence over rulebook rules (that is in the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Hi there el,

In the latest Errata and FAQ it states:

"Q. When is a Monster’s spawn effect resolved?
A. When a Monster is spawned, it’s “When this Monster is
spawned” effect is resolved immediately as part of the effect
that spawned it."

So in your case the gate causes a monster to spawn (rush out of another dimension) and then if it has a spawn effect that moves it, it would move to that space (rush to the part of the globe where it has to do nefarious deeds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@el Bebok First, the monster spawns on the gate. Then, a spawn effect may move it elsewhere (or do a lot of different things).
So there's no conflict or ambiguity here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
Thanks for answering

I asked this because when I try to imagine it in "real life" it seems very strange that the gate opens somewhere on the globe, and the monster which steps thru it, spawns thousands of kilometers elsewhere. There is just no cause and effect relationship I need some rational (haha!) explanation to link these two events

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
el Bebok wrote:
Thanks for answering

I asked this because when I try to imagine it in "real life" it seems very strange that the gate opens somewhere on the globe, and the monster which steps thru it, spawns thousands of kilometers elsewhere. There is just no cause and effect relationship I need some rational (haha!) explanation to link these two events

Most of the "move upon spawn" monsters aren't stepping through gates. They're already here, just either dormant or not being noticed by mortals. The gates act as an instrument to wake them up or bring them to the attention of those who are looking.

In fact, a fair number of the nasty critters to be found are already here, but stay out of view until attracted, in one way or another, by the energy of the gates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
el Bebok
Poland
flag msg tools
NOW THAT'S THEMATIC!

Thank you very much! couldn't think this way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Xelto wrote:
They're already here, just either dormant or not being noticed by mortals. The gates act as an instrument to wake them up or bring them to the attention of those who are looking.

Mind = Blown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.