5 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: My ships - Aces & Eights, White Lightning, and the Pink Princess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few pictures of my Aces & Eights (green) and White Lightning (purple) custom ships. If you're so inclined, you can find ship cards and stats over in the customs forum. Additionally, my daughter wanted a pink ship, so she got one.

These ships are from Ryan Wolfe's excellent Shadowstar Corsairs. As you can see, they are a bit bigger than standard Fireflies, generally falling somewhere between the Series IV Fireflies and the NPC ships, but it's very close. As an added bonus, since Ryan did work for the Serenity RPG, there's a definite 'Verse-ish feel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of paint did you use to color Ryan's ships? And where's the Pink Princess ship card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried a few different things, and eventually settled on Testor's enamel paint. I think it was standard green for the Aces & Eights, metallic purple for the White Lightning, and florescent pink for the Pink Lady. All colors were a big bright/glossy, and the pink, especially was very tacky, so I coated all of them with a layer of Testor's acrylic finish. In fact, for the Pink Lady, I did a full repaint job (I had been sloppy, and some of the gray was still showing through) then a second layer of finish. I can't necessarily recommend that, because the process did take away some of the sharpness of the details, but the finish took the edge off all the colors (which is what I wanted) and also negated the stickiness.

I asked around a lot before doing this. A lot of people recommended acrylic over enamel... but also said that acrylic was more likely to wear and/or chip. Ryan himself said that either would work, and that he was able to do good work with spraypaint. I tried that myself (enamel Testor's) and although the color was great, I couldn't get it to layer right. First, too much gray was showing through, then I layered it on so think that detail got lost. That's my fault, though, not the paint's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you could do it again, how would you go about it? Spray on, dip, or brush? Would you stick with the enamel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would stick with enamel, brushed on, with a clear, flat acrylic coat on top. Overall, very happy with the results (even if my work on the A&E is a bit spotty).

If I were to do it over again, I would probably do an additional coat on the Pink Princess before the topcoat, and I might have gone with a different shade for the White Lightning. But those are process flaws, not paint issues.

When we have some spare time, my daughter and I are going to get some more enamel paint and I'll move on to some of the other ships from Shadowstar Corsairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.