Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Newgard
United States
Flagstaff
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first solo game last night to help learn the rules for play with friends tonight and had a bit of a question with Rival placement.

The solo variant states the Rival prefers the Influence spot, when available. What about cases where there are multiple influence spots available like the Hideout if I'm playing as the Green player and the Rival is the first to place a meeple there?

Does he place on the the immediate effect (1 gold) or always place on the resolution effect (2 gold)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I interpret it as he's hogging the whole spot. You are going to have to duel him no matter which side he has a foot on if you want to use that spot. It doesn't really matter, since the rival doesn't collect resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Newgard
United States
Flagstaff
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fedspaz wrote:
I interpret it as he's hogging the whole spot. You are going to have to duel him no matter which side he has a foot on if you want to use that spot. It doesn't really matter, since the rival doesn't collect resources.

That's a great thought that never cross my mind. I was so worried about exactness that I didn't take into account that the Rival is just trying to deprive me of resources. Thanks Kirk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Newgard
United States
Flagstaff
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I tweeted Michael Coe at Gamelyn and he confirmed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter which side, as those influence spots are only one space. Since he doesn't collect them, he is sitting on it, trying to deny you and itching for a fight if you really want that one spot.

Hope this helps.

StatKat wrote:
Played my first solo game last night to help learn the rules for play with friends tonight and had a bit of a question with Rival placement.

The solo variant states the Rival prefers the Influence spot, when available. What about cases where there are multiple influence spots available like the Hideout if I'm playing as the Green player and the Rival is the first to place a meeple there?

Does he place on the the immediate effect (1 gold) or always place on the resolution effect (2 gold)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the rulebook is pretty clear on this...

First, let's clarify that there is only one "Influence Spot" on each location (found on the colored side). Even the "Hideout" has only one Influence Spot. Or, IOW, each Meeple Icon is a single spot.

Then, the rulebook is clear that when placing the Rival's Posse Token on an Influence Spot, it goes on the right side of the spot.

From the rulebook, page 19:
"The Rival prefers to place onto the "Influence Spot" (right side) at a Location Mat, if that placement spot is present."

Now, having pointed that out, John is ultimately correct, I think, that it doesn't really matter which side you put the Rival Posse for the reason he explains. So the rulebook specifies the "right side", either to eliminate the question from being asked, or, there's an actual reason that shows itself only in edge cases.

Edit: added, "Influence" to 1st paragraph, 2nd sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

I think the rulebook is pretty clear on this...

First, let's clarify that there is only one "Influence Spot" on each location (found on the colored side). Even the "Hideout" has only one spot. Or, IOW, each Meeple Icon is a single spot.

Then, the rulebook is clear that when placing the Rival's Posse Token on an Influence Spot, it goes on the right side of the spot.

From the rulebook, page 19:
"The Rival prefers to place onto the "Influence Spot" (right side) at a Location Mat, if that placement spot is present."

Now, having pointed that out, John is ultimately correct, I think, that it doesn't really matter which side you put the Rival Posse for the reason he explains. So the rulebook specifies the "right side", either to eliminate the question from being asked, or, there's an actual reason that shows itself only in edge cases.

From that same page 19 in the rule book...
"The Rival prefers to place onto the "Influence Spot" (right side) at a Location Mat, if that placement spot is present. If it is not (because the reverse "grayed-out" side of the Mat is being used), the Rival will place its token onto the "porch slot"."

This paragraph is talking about two locations on the mat, the 'influence spot' and the 'porch slot'. I think the 'right side' it is referring to is in regards to the position of these two locations. The influence spot is located on the right side, and the porch slot is located on the left side. The second sentence quoted above enforces this by saying there is only a single spot to place at when on the grey side.

It's poorly worded since the 'right side' spot has two positions on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
From that same page 19 in the rule book...
"The Rival prefers to place onto the "Influence Spot" (right side) at a Location Mat, if that placement spot is present. If it is not (because the reverse "grayed-out" side of the Mat is being used), the Rival will place its token onto the "porch slot"."

This paragraph is talking about two locations on the mat, the 'influence spot' and the 'porch slot'. I think the 'right side' it is referring to is in regards to the position of these two locations. The influence spot is located on the right side, and the porch slot is located on the left side. The second sentence quoted above enforces this by saying there is only a single spot to place at when on the grey side.

It's poorly worded since the 'right side' spot has two positions on it.

While I see where you're coming from, I offer the following four points for further thought:
- When the mat is on it's greyed-out side, the paragraph you quoted is very specific that the Rival will use the "porch slot". And of course, this must be the case as that's the only spot on the greyed-out side of each Location Mat.
- So when the Location Mat is flipped over to its colored side, there are two spots as you said. And as we learned directly above, the rules call the spot on the left, the "Porch Slot". The point being that it is NOT referred to as the "Influence Spot".
- Thusly, while the "Influence Spot" is indeed to the right of the "Porch Slot", the rule specifically says to place the Rival on the "Influence Spot". The point here, is that there is no consideration of left or right, when it comes to distinguishing between the Porch and Influence spots. The rules are very clear as to which spot it refers, by name.
- Finally, the definition of the "Influence Spot", and the definition of the "Left" and "right" sides of the Influence Spot are clearly presented on the bottom of page 8.

So when the rules say to place the Rival's Posse Token on the "Influence Spot (right side)", I think page 8 makes pretty clear what's meant, if not the long-winded logic I presented above in a very pedantic way!

And keep in mind, also, that even the "Influence Spot" is still only a single spot, except it has two distinctive sides identified as being eligible for placing a Posse Token!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree with those points, it makes sense to me as well. I was just trying to make sense of the wording, and why they were trying to give a left/right side for rival placement when it doesnt even matter. Many spots in the rule book are missing explanations, and this section has too many

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Braffe wrote:
I was just trying to make sense of the wording, and why they were trying to give a left/right side for rival placement when it doesnt even matter.

Yeah, I think this is the question. My guess is that they specified "right side" only to prevent the question from being asked. And we see how that turned out!

I mean, imagine if they did simply and only write, "Put the Rival's Posse Token on the 'Influence Spot'."
(Because, as you said, it doesn't matter). But if they did write it that way, you KNOW someone would post this question: "Which side of the 'Influence Spot' do we place the Rival's token?"

So I'm guessing they wanted to offer a little specificity in this case, to avoid such questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.