United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game and played the first quest. I used this netdeck:

"Seastan's Single Core Set Solo"
http://ringsdb.com/deck/view/28977

and won on turn 5, I think. Mostly off Sneak Attacking Gandalf. I've heard that the game is difficult. Is the intro game especially easy? Am I making it easier on myself by playing the netdeck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First scenario should be on the easier side with a constructed deck. Move on to Anduin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Passage Through Mirkwood is very easy compared to the other two in the core box. Sneak Attack/Gandalf combo is also extremely powerful in the first cycle or so.

Journey Along the Anduin and Escape from Dol Guldur should provide you with a decent challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The intro game is by far the easiest in the game.

That deck is built by one of the best players in the game and is super-powerful given it's constraints.

The intro game has no chance against that deck.

If you want to learn how to play well, I highly recommend playing the "starter" decks against that first quest. You will find the strengths/weaknesses of each sphere, you will learn why Tactics is only good for support in solo play, you will learn which cards are good and which are not. The game will really open up for you if you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Franklin
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I played two more games with the netdeck against the first quest. In the first I was destroyed early on to a creature rush. The second I won pretty big, mainly off the attachments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
sanhedrin wrote:

and won on turn 5, I think. Mostly off Sneak Attacking Gandalf. I've heard that the game is difficult. Is the intro game especially easy? Am I making it easier on myself by playing the netdeck?

I cannot see the cards, I got the message "You are not allowed to view this deck. To get access, you can ask the deck owner to enable "Share my decks" on their account."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solinete wrote:
sanhedrin wrote:

I cannot see the cards, I got the message "You are not allowed to view this deck. To get access, you can ask the deck owner to enable "Share my decks" on their account."

Google did it for me:
http://ringsdb.com/decklist/view/961/seastan-s-single-core-s....0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Franklin
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: the second and third quests in the basic game are a step up in difficulty. I've tried the second five or six times and the third twice and haven't won any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danwarr wrote:
Passage Through Mirkwood is very easy compared to the other two in the core box. Sneak Attack/Gandalf combo is also extremely powerful in the first cycle or so.

Journey Along the Anduin and Escape from Dol Guldur should provide you with a decent challenge.
This is very discourageing for me: I haven't beaten the first scenario yet (but haven't used combined decks, just one sphere type deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
This is very discourageing for me: I haven't beaten the first scenario yet (but haven't used combined decks, just one sphere type deck).

It shouldn't be overly difficult with non-tactics core set decks. Tactics Core deck is definitely Hardish Mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
Hello to all. I am a new Italian member although often I read these forums for clarification of various game rules.
I struggled with the Mirkwood mission although it should be easy! I play with 3 heroes and the core pack of 30 cards of the type "strategy".
I noted the threat-level rises too quickly, even using all the heroes in the search. I do not understand where I'm wrong. I tried more and more but the difficulty seems prohibitive. And rulebook states the first scenario is easy! (Level 1): I want believe it but i'm discouraged, although I'm experienced in many games, with this game I cannot find my errors, I'm sure I follow rules in every detail. Maybe in "solitary mode" I have to switch some value? For example to start with 29 of treath (3 heroes)means to get 50 in few rounds! Thank you for any suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect "strategy" is the English "tactics" deck - the one with the red sword icons, right? If so, it's hard to win with this deck solo, it doesn't have many useful ways to quest.

Try with any of the other three decks and you should have more luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Florita
msg tools
Right: it's "Tactics", red cards. I just read a thread in which was suggested to avoid red deck for the starter scenario.
I'll try with another monothematic deck.
Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
Robin wrote:

It shouldn't be overly difficult with non-tactics core set decks. Tactics Core deck is definitely Hardish Mode.
Well, up to now, no success with the non tactics core set decks (having the Big Boss on first draw and other nasty events early in the game didn't help).
But I am persevering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X C
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I seem to recall finding it easiest to beat Passage Through Mirkwood with the mono Leadership (purple) deck provided in the Core set. Might have succeeded with mono Spirit (blue). Never succeeded with Tactics (red), and don't think I succeeded with Lore (green)... but can't remember for sure. Was a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First win,hurrah !
Two players, with Leadership and Spirit decks (three heroes each).
The key was to invest massively in questing at the beginning : the first stage asks 8 progression.
We squeezed seven steps on the first turn.
Then things went on normally and we won without losing Gandalf and without the help of Gandalf nor of hyper duper cards like the Steward of Gondor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.