$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Daniel Minotto II
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I'm relatively new to the niche board gaming world. I've played about 25 'designer' games and enjoy most types of games. I've noticed that several games I've purchased and enjoy require a lot of point counting at the end, which, though I don't mind too much, can be anti-climatic. My cousin with whom I play often, is not a fan of such games.

So I'm looking for peoples top 5 Essential games for the more experienced gamer with which I can round out my collection some! 5 games that don't require point counting at the end to determine the winner!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I consider essential involve some point counting at the end.

Innovation: involves frequent point counting during the game because that is a factor in whether you can get achievements or not. Rarely any point counting at the end of the game.

Through the Ages: Points are gained at the end of the game but that is far from anti-climactic. This is an amazing game and incredibly good with two players but is very heavy.

Fury of Dracula (third edition) is not a point based game. Either Dracula is killed and instantly loses or he gets to 13 points and instantly wins. It is good and fun for 2 players but is also fairly heavy.

I would possibly recommend Suburbia but you have to determine who won the visible and personal goals and divvy out those points. If that counts as point counting then it is out. Arguably through the ages would be out as well but it is pretty exciting to gain those points at the end while suburbia's goals are fun but less exciting so could be considered anti-climactic I suppose.

EDIT: What have been your favorite games? That info would help narrow things down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything not designed by Uwe Rosenberg. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your friend doesn't like games where when the game end is triggered you count Victory Points (VPs). Perhaps he won't mind games where the first player to achieve a given number of VPs wins, that way there is not need to count VPs after the game end.

Cosmic Encounter First player to get 5 colonies
Catan First player to get 10 VP
Tsuro Last player alive
King of Tokyo First player to 20 Fame or last player alive
Shadow Hunters Whoever meets their victory condones (none of which involve VPs) at the end of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ashton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperative games where you meet victory conditions to win...
Pandemic is the first that comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for games that are good with just two players or are games that require 3+ a possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the same way (although some minor point counting I can take if the game is more multi-player solitaire). It looks like you are looking for a victory condition that is linked and related to the game ending event.

This could be a game where it ends when a person reaches a specific point condition:
Cosmic Encounter
King of Tokyo
Mascarade

Or games where elimination is the goal:
BANG! The Dice Game
Betrayal at House on the Hill

Or most cooperative/team games:
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Dungeon Fighter
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
Specter Ops

Oops, I gave 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't answer.

"Essential game" + "Non-gateway game" + "No points counting at the end" makes this really challenging to answer for me.

Twilight Struggle, perhaps ? Since the score is always up-to-date. Then again, I wouldn't call it an "essential game".

Pandemic was the first that came to mind, but it's the quintessential gateway game in my book.

Can't answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee everything suggested so far involves points! How about RoboRally or other race games?

What about Cyclades or Kemet ?

Attika ?

Does games where most money wins count, or it this too much like points? For example, Food Chain Magnate .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
drdranetz wrote:
Gee everything suggested so far involves points!

Sure, but I think the OP's objection wasn't to a point-based game but rather a game where everyone has to spend a lot of time counting their points up at the end of the game to see who won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul, the winner is the first player to get 5 rubies (or 6 depending on player count) as you travel and make trades and deliveries through a bazar. You have to make a lot of different actions and plan your path around the bazar trying to get/buy your rubies farst than the other players, and when anybody reaches the target amount it's over at the end of that round, no thing extra to count or to add (only if multiple players get their 5th ruby during that last round, in that case the tie-breaker is the remainig money).

There are lots of worker placement and resource management games where the points are earned and counted during the game and nothing (or almost nothing) has to be added at the end. Pillars of the Earth is one of those (sadly out of print in english at the moment), or his thematic sequel and far better game in my opinion World Without End. On the first one you end the game with your full score already accounted for, and on the second you only add 3 or 4 extra points at the end for any unused resources and/or money you have, which actually adds a bit of tension if the scores are very close, the total opposite of anticlimactic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
Formula D
Mr Jack

I'm getting a headache from thinking too hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
So you don't want games with counting and because you mention that your gaming partner is your cousin, I'm going to assume you want two player games:

Guild Ball (the new Kick-Off stand alone has launched and it's great for a starting place)
War of the Ring
Game of Thrones the Card Game
Commands & Colours Ancients/Battlelore/Memoire 44
Raptor
Mage Wars

I'm not going to limit myself to five games. Those are the six best two player board games that don't feature a bunch of wussy counting at the end. They are also all metal as fuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Singleton

Corvallis
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
Danricc wrote:
I'm relatively new to the niche board gaming world. I've played about 25 'designer' games and enjoy most types of games. I've noticed that several games I've purchased and enjoy require a lot of point counting at the end, which, though I don't mind too much, can be anti-climatic. My cousin with whom I play often, is not a fan of such games.

So I'm looking for peoples top 5 Essential games for the more experienced gamer with which I can round out my collection some! 5 games that don't require point counting at the end to determine the winner!

Thanks!

Do you mean games in which victory points are awarded throughout the game and displayed on a point track so it's easy to monitor your progress
relative to other players? Like Castles of Burgundy (some game-end point accumulation, but not much)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Viticulture essential edition

First to 20 VP's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few:

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Android: Netrunner
Codenames
Star Realms
Summoner Wars
Lewis & Clark
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
Mage Knight Board Game
Alien Frontiers
Battlestar Galactica
Love Letter

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Minotto II
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, you are correct. Point counting during the game (like Catan, for instance) would be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Minotto II
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, thanks everyone for the suggestions. This will definitely give me an idea of where to go next. I'll share my initial thoughts on some suggestions you gave, to show I cared

I have yet to play a racing game. I'll have to give that genre a try

Kemet and Cyclades seem like interesting games. I could definitely use a couple battle type games in my collection.

Pillars of Earth is a game I would love to play. My wife really likes the book, so she's expressed interest in it as well. I've been holding out hoping someone re-prints it so it becomes more excessable.

Cosmic Encounter is a game I have yet to play, but it's definitely on my list of games to try. I think the social interaction in this game would go over well with our group.

Fury of Dracula is a game I've nearly purchased a few times. Seems like a fun game. I already own Letters from Whitechapel, which I realize is a different (and lesser in a lot of peoples eyes) game than FoD, but the hidden movement mechanic seems strong in both, so I've put off buying it until I'm really done with Whitechapel.

I've played Love Letters and it is a really fun game. Very light, but a good game.

I do own Pandemic, Settlers, and a couple other games mentioned. We've played TIME stories too, which is probably my most favorite game I've ever played. I realize TIME Stories is a unique game, but I'm eager to try some other coop games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go with Cry Havoc or a Blood Rage over Kemet or Cyclades. Star Wars: Rebellion is another great game without endgame scoring. Or my personal favorite: Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, which just got a new edition this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 Player
YINSH & GIPF - Abstract set
Battle Line (Three player option quite good also)
Blue Moon Legends
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
Twilight Struggle

More than 2 players
Chicago Express - Total up your money in hand at the end, no additional bonuses or anything on the board matters. Takes a few seconds. Personal favorite.
Tigris & Euphrates - Score is simple at the end, another great game.
Railways of the World - Score is kept running as playing, bonus cards at end are simple couple extra points, takes a few seconds to add to the totals. Play is 2+ hours with 4+ players, but little downtime.

A good start...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.