Firefly: The Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Most Competitive Walden Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Let's say you've resolved yourself to using the Walden but still really want to win. What's your best bet? You can pick Leader, starting planet, and even the Story Card. Here are some possibilities I'm considering:

1. Higgins. There are a couple ways to do this. You could mine for a couple Mud Runs heading to the same area. That's $6000 to Blue Sun or $4800 to Kalidasa that you don't need a crew for. Or maybe you grab 3 (or 4?) Mud Pipeline jobs to White Sun. With Monty, those Mud Pipeline jobs pay pretty okay, come with additional pay bonuses for either Companion or Grifter, and you can do a few quickly. And since they're close together, only having a speed of 4 might not come into play much. Minimal misbehaves. Minimal competition for jobs. Can totally ignore Heavy Load. You won't get jobs you don't qualify for. But in either case, you're VERY vulnerable to the Cruiser and piracy.

2. Beaumonde/Persephone Contraband run. Murphy as Leader. Probably start on Beaumonde. Swing by Persephone for some extra crew and a Badger job. Play a more or less standard game, trying to get solid with the two of them as quickly as possible. They're only 4 spaces apart, so your limited speed shouldn't come into play much at that point. Once you've done one run, the extra cargo space has already made up for the extra you paid for the Walden. This definitely makes you less vulnerable to the Cruiser. Maybe piracy too, just because you're out of the way. You don't have to pay crew. But you're not really taking advantage of the Walden's abilities either, unless you do the one job for the twins with Heavy Load.

3. Piracy, ideally with "The Choices We Make" so that piracy jobs are readily available. My first thought was Regina (Mag-Grappler Launchers, Onboard Chop Shop, Bandits, Sash's Handcannon), but now I'm leaning towards Silverhold. Sash gets you extra money, but the point of the Story Card isn't to get money. So maybe Jubal? Pick up Saffron or Elder Gomen to help with boarding checks, but otherwise go to Space Bazaar. Amnon Duul's piracy jobs seem like the best ones, since you can pirate more piracy jobs, and you also might find crew that help you take advantage of counting Piracy as Salvage Ops.

Any other strategies I'm missing? Particular Story Cards where the Walden could shine? I'm heavily leaning towards the Beaumonde/Persephone Contraband run option (though I'd try any). It seems like the best bet, besides just working with my playstyle. Oddly, it doesn't really take advantage of the Walden's abilities, beyond just being the cheapest way to get a 15 space cargo hold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing is that each of those strategies is equally viable or more so with just about any other ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I were going for Higgins, with his 5 Cargo Jobs, I'd be very tempted to take Burgess. Although he doesn't actually pay extra, he acquires Cargo as he goes, so you could have 13 Cargo, 4 Fuel, load 3 4-Cargo Jobs, head out, and fill the two missing Cargo as you go.

Ideally, being Solid with Lord Harrow would net you a lot of extra money, but is probably not worth the trek out to White Sun.

Another option is the jobs that pay $300 per Fugitive (prominently for the twins). Although this requires being Solid with Amnon Duul first to work, it can really pay off with Wright. If you're carrying 12 Fugitives (leave some room for Fuel and Parts), you can make $4800.

No matter how you slice it, KALIDASA has been pretty kind to the Walden. Myself, I would consider Wright at the Space Bazaar, then hustle over the Beaumonde.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
The thing is that each of those strategies is equally viable or more so with just about any other ship.

My experience is that Higgins is actually really hard to work for without the Walden. His main advantage as a contact is that you can work multiple jobs simultaneously (as so many start on Higgins Moon), but since Heavy Load penalties stack, other ships need crazy amounts of fuel to make the trips at all. If you're doing 2 Mud Runs, the class 3s only have 2 spaces available in their hold for fuel and parts. I find the class 4s to be the only other ships that can meaningfully work Higgins, but the Walden still seems the best to me.

Re: the Beaumonde/Persephone run, the Walden is the cheapest and most flexible way to get a 15 space cargo hold. Once you've gotten solid with the twins and Badger (admittedly a significant caveat), it seems strictly better than the class 3s, and I'm not sure you're getting any real extra benefit from the class 4s.

I haven't actually played it much, but my conclusion so far as that the Walden is a pretty solid choice for some subpar strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
gwek wrote:
If I were going for Higgins, with his 5 Cargo Jobs, I'd be very tempted to take Burgess. Although he doesn't actually pay extra, he acquires Cargo as he goes, so you could have 13 Cargo, 4 Fuel, load 3 4-Cargo Jobs, head out, and fill the two missing Cargo as you go.

Ideally, being Solid with Lord Harrow would net you a lot of extra money, but is probably not worth the trek out to White Sun.

Another option is the jobs that pay $300 per Fugitive (prominently for the twins). Although this requires being Solid with Amnon Duul first to work, it can really pay off with Wright. If you're carrying 12 Fugitives (leave some room for Fuel and Parts), you can make $4800.

No matter how you slice it, KALIDASA has been pretty kind to the Walden. Myself, I would consider Wright at the Space Bazaar, then hustle over the Beaumonde.

The Wright strategy would be hard for me to justify since the Esmeralda does the same thing so well, but I think Burgess is an interesting choice. Most of the highest paying Shipping jobs are Higgins', so the match up makes sense. You'd probably want to do one Amnon Duul job so you could sell the Cargo, yeah?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't disagree re: Wright/Esmeralda, but I thought you were asking for good strategies for the Walden, NOT good strategies for JUST the Walden!

The two things the Walden has in it's favor are immunity from Heavy Load and the largest Cargo Hold. Any strategy that leverages one or both of those is a good strategy.

For Burgess, getting Solid to sell Cargo probably would be a good idea, although if you just wanted to play fast, you'd be discarding some Cargo early on and replacing with the stuff you gain. Still, if you ARE going to sell Cargo, might as well get a Merchant or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mudd Grizzly wrote:
dbolyard wrote:

My experience is that Higgins is actually really hard to work for without the Walden. His main advantage as a contact is that you can work multiple jobs simultaneously (as so many start on Higgins Moon), but since Heavy Load penalties stack, other ships need crazy amounts of fuel to make the trips at all. If you're doing 2 Mud Runs, the class 3s only have 2 spaces available in their hold for fuel and parts. I find the class 4s to be the only other ships that can meaningfully work Higgins, but the Walden still seems the best to me.

Re: the Beaumonde/Persephone run, the Walden is the cheapest and most flexible way to get a 15 space cargo hold. Once you've gotten solid with the twins and Badger (admittedly a significant caveat), it seems strictly better than the class 3s, and I'm not sure you're getting any real extra benefit from the class 4s.

I haven't actually played it much, but my conclusion so far as that the Walden is a pretty solid choice for some subpar strategies.

You make a valid point with the stacked heavy load penalties. This does make the Walden better able to handle multiple jobs that start from Harvest. But the Walden still must lumber to its destinations with the goods intact. And even so, a class 4 firefly has as many hold spaces as the Walden for all intents and purposes. And the Walden must carry fuel as well. Furthermore, its limited range means you're usually burning more fuel one way to your destination than the average ship does. In some cases, this amounts to nearly the same amount of fuel spent as any other ship flying further and incurring the heavy load penalty(s).

There's been some back and forth around here regarding the Beaumonde/Persephone run. I lean toward it being more of a trick you may pull off once in a while rather than labeling it a reliable strategy. After all, it's just a money grab. And as for the Walden vs. other ships, I think the Walden is actually less effective here. The operative or reavers getting thrown in your path means taking yet another fly action and/or a longer route (without reaverflage from Meridian). Roadblocks are something the Walden doesn't handle well at all with its limited range. And then a hold with no stash and full of contraband is ripe for piracy if the other players are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My apologies for coming initially to this thread and appearing only interested in debating your statements. I'd like to contribute strategies as well. However, I look less to specific contacts and more to its set up.
1. I like to get Jubal, Marco, or Zoie as a leader and start at Silverhold.
-This allows me to quickly build up a strong fighting crew early for deterring piracy and being able to handle one or two early misbehaves. Since I often find myself with a lot of goods in my hold when flying the Walden, it's important to be able to deter pirates.
2. Alternatively, I like to start at Meridian and grab the modded fuel catalyzer and reaverflage.
-These allow me to be instantly on par with most ships' range and allow flying through reaver sectors, which would otherwise be a nasty roadblock.
-Starting at Meridian further allows me to get solid with Mr. Universe early. His challenges are nice, but the increased hand size is really what I'm looking for. As slow as the Walden generally is, it's even more useful for the Walden player to be able to hold more jobs in hand, as backtracking isn't really an option.
3. On this↑ note, I almost always try to acquire a cortex uplink when flying the Walden for the very purpose of gaining solid with contacts I'm not likely to ever get around to visiting.

None of these↑ things are only valid for the Walden, but I find them good ways to make the Walden a more competitive ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
gwek wrote:
I don't disagree re: Wright/Esmeralda, but I thought you were asking for good strategies for the Walden, NOT good strategies for JUST the Walden!

Touché!

dbolyard wrote:
My apologies for coming initially to this thread and appearing only interested in debating your statements. I'd like to contribute strategies as well. However, I look less to specific contacts and more to its set up.
1. I like to get Jubal, Marco, or Zoie as a leader and start at Silverhold.
-This allows me to quickly build up a strong fighting crew early for deterring piracy and being able to handle one or two early misbehaves. Since I often find myself with a lot of goods in my hold when flying the Walden, it's important to be able to deter pirates.
2. Alternatively, I like to start at Meridian and grab the modded fuel catalyzer and reaverflage.
-These allow me to be instantly on par with most ships' range and allow flying through reaver sectors, which would otherwise be a nasty roadblock.
-Starting at Meridian further allows me to get solid with Mr. Universe early. His challenges are nice, but the increased hand size is really what I'm looking for. As slow as the Walden generally is, it's even more useful for the Walden player to be able to hold more jobs in hand, as backtracking isn't really an option.
3. On this↑ note, I almost always try to acquire a cortex uplink when flying the Walden for the very purpose of gaining solid with contacts I'm not likely to ever get around to visiting.

None of these↑ things are only valid for the Walden, but I find them good ways to make the Walden a more competitive ship.

No apology needed. I like Zoe at Meridian (Cortland is such an amazing Soldier). Harrow's Heavy Load jobs seem to offer Soldier bonuses, so that's a nice pairing too. I normally look to the Emissions Recycler to extend range (or ideally Wash), but I'll have to reconsider the Modded Fuel Catalyzer. That extra 2 range seems more useful to the Walden than most ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mudd Grizzly

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried out the Beaumonde/Persephone run a few times today in solo games, both with the Walden and the Jetwash (for context). Here are some thoughts:

I'm still on the fence about how bad 4 movement is. On the one hand, I felt that the majority of the time, I either only needed to go 4 (or fewer) spaces or I didn't make it farther anyhow. There aren't many long runs with this strategy. In these particular games, I never flew farther than 5 spaces with the Jetwash (though I tried to). On the other hand, even at the end, when you only have routes that are 4 spaces long, sometimes it's still nice to have a range of 5 to fly around Reavers or The Operative. If your range is 4, you become very dependent on particular spaces.

Once you're solid with the Contacts, the Walden is making more money. I'm finding that I should be able to make the run twice before the end of the game. With the Jetwash, you can hold 12 Contraband if you're willing to fly without Parts (meaning you can't use the Emergency Nav Assist ability). In the Walden, you could do 2 runs of 14. You'll probably spend one more action refueling, but 2 spaces on 2 trips is $1,600. Not bad for a cheaper ship.

I broke $15,000 on either turn 16 or 17 in each game regardless of ship (starting with no crew, no jobs, and no double priming). 17 isn't too impressive, but I think 16 makes it pretty viable for the multiplayer games I play. My sample size isn't big enough for anything very conclusive, but my feeling now is that the Walden is as good as, if not better, than any other ship at this particular money-making strategy.

In the last Walden game botches made it take forever for me to set solid with the two Contacts, so I never even made it back to Beaumonde to start the run. Amazingly, I still managed to sell 11 Contraband and 2 Cargo just from Misbehave and Flight cards. Super weird set of circumstances, but the Walden is the ship that let me capitalize on it best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You hit on exactly how I feel about the Walden's range; it just limits your ability to go around. It certainly feels like a handicap when players do a lot of direct or preemptive blocking. In the end, are there other factors that make up for it? Perhaps. I have won more games playing the Walden than I've lost playing the Walden, but that's true for any ship I play...whistle

I do enjoy the ability to keep a hold of all those goods you can land through misbehaves and salvage ops, that otherwise may simply get discarded in another ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.