Subject: What are the best 3+ player wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Macy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
The only ones I have are Axis and Allies Europe and Pacific, and I have been looking for something bigger and better, while not breaking the bank. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usual questions:

1) What period(s) are you interested in?
2) Are you interested in tactical or strategic games? Tactical = you're playing a single battle, and maneuvering troops about within that battle; strategic = you're playing a whole theater and moving troops around where they will have any number of small battles.
3) How many players?
4) How long do you want the game to last?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommed Britinna, Ancient Conquest, Aleisa (AH), Europe Engulfed, Axis & Allies D-Day, History of the World, World in Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the first game that comes to mind is "Europe Engulfed" and the soon to be released "Asia Engulfed". If you want some multiplayer Wargames that aren't based on WWII then I can suggest the following:

Nexus Ops
Friedrich
Sword of Rome
Here I Stand
Samurai Swords (OOP but you can still find copies for decent prices)

I'm sure there are others too.

-Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Battle for Germany," originally published by SPI in S&T magazine. I think that Decision Games republished it recently. Superb classic hex-n-counters wargame, works perfectly for either 2, 3 or 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wargaming world
I don't know how experienced your group is or what you are into, but it won't stop me...

Friedrich: an awesome game. Reasonalby simple and plays up to 4 players, but three is really good. It is a really interesting asymetric game where one player must take on a team of other players, but only one player can win.

Nexus ops: This game is pretty popular. You have to mine Rubium on an alien world. Build units capture mines and investigae the monolith. Personally it is a bit of a bore, but many people seem to like it. Kinda of like a better version of A&A or Risk.

More Complicated Games
Here I stand: One of my favourite games. 6 players is excellent 3 is pretty good. Anything inbetween can be a bit annoying. Each player controls a different power in the Wars of reformation. Every power has their own goals, military, religious, cultural, ect.. The Asymetic play and the deep strategy as well as negotiation make this a truly excellent game. It is card driven which means card function as resources as well as events.

Europe Engulfed. Plays 3 players at the moment going up to 5 (I think) with the addition of Asia engulfed (coming out later this year). Wonderful game that simulates the strategic level of WWII (in the european and north african theatres). Simple mechanically it is still a very complex game (because of all the exceptions and political goings on). Lots of fun, but long well worth looking at. Oh rather on the pricey side.

Pax Romana: A great game about the struggle for power in the ealy roman era (300bc-50bc). Again more comlpicated as far as games go and long, but richly rewarding. You have to get Mgringo's scenarios if you want to play 3 player (you can get it from this site). My favourite game of the period.

Onward Christian Soldiers: Another Richard berg game. Scales really well from 2 to 7 players. It covers the 1st-3rd crusade, but only the 1st crusade scenario is designed for multiplayer pay. Lots of fun and it is well worth playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how easy it is to find these, but:

Napoleon (Block Game)
Days of Decision II
World in Flames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I could list you over a hundred titles. Without knowing what you like and dislike in a game it's worthless to start listing any titles however because it would be nothing but guess work. You ask 10 people your question and you'll get 100 different answers.

I do have a suggestion however that should help you in your quest. Use the advanced search feature here. You can look up games using a great many variables from theme to number of players and game mechanics. Look and then check out the games with the higher ratings or ones that just sound interesting to you. Check out the comments people have left for those games. That way you can get a better idea than just asking for folks to toss out wargame titles with no point of reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Macy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
My general interest is modern (post-American Revolution), deep strategic types, but mainly strategic. I have played a good number of different types, most notably Twilight Imperium 3rd ed., Napoleon in Europe, Struggle of Empires, and Conquest of the Empire. I guess I am trying to figure out if there are any other good ones out there that are more obscure. One that I am seriously considering is A World At War, but the price is depressing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you need to consider is whether you want to head down the road of Waros (struggle of Empires, Shogun, Antike etc...), more traditional wargames (Europe Engulfed, Here I stand, Pax, etc...) or lighter war games like Memoir 44, C&C Ancients or Nexus Ops. It sounds like Europe Engulfed might be the way to go. If you want multiplayer political games (games where only one person can win and feature conflict between all players) I think it might be hard to find a good post ACW game. A World at war though looks really cool. I've been thinking of getting it. Most of the best multiplayer wargames are before this century (Napoleonic Wars, Here I Stand etc...). I think Here I stand would be a good buy either way. Goodluck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games on the Waterloo campaign are good for three players because of the natural division of the Allies army into two groups, the Anglo-Allies under Wellington and the Prussians under Blucher. Some good accessible examples are Napoleon (Clumbia's block game) and Napoleon's Last Battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
World in War: Combined Arms 1939-1945

This is a fun game, all battle, no economy.

also, I say get a copy of Ikusa If you like Axis and Allies, and like Feudal Japan as a setting, you'll love this game. Its my new favorite..I just got it on Ebay for 40-50 bucks. Well worth it..they don't make games like this often!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might find this useful:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/11187

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Deller
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wellington is a good 3 or 4-player wargame also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Macy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
Another thing I am trying to do is make my own game by blending elements of many games into one. It is much cheaper, as I will use the pieces from my A&A games for it. I will use parts of Diplomacy, such as the movement methods, along with elements of A World At War and Axis and Allies. The battle system works on what unit attacks what, as the odds of success change with each attacking or defending unit. This will save money while using parts of time-tested games. Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.