Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
timothy thomsen
United States
manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At what point do you suppose FF will offer tiles from different expansions to be mixed in their Road to Legend app? I know this is not an absolute deal breaker for many, but I would love to see the variety of going from one terrain, into a vastly different one in the same campaign.

If the app determines what sets you posses, then you should be able to create a bunch of campaigns based on that variety, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
The side quests do use expansion tiles. I had a side quest the other day that was almost exclusively Manor of the Raven tiles.

Kindred Fire was created to work with only the base game, which is why I imagine that they made the story missions only use the base game tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was so excited when the app said i need tiles 80+ im such a geek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
timothy thomsen
United States
manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that I know, I guess I wasn't clear: at what point will they start to MIX tiles, like use the core set tiles mixed in with Manor of Ravens, with a splash of Chains that Rust.

I guess my real questions is, does it even matter if they mix them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
I think they already have that. We played a story quest last week that used a tile from SoN. It's possible that there are alternate versions (maybe randomly chosen) based on your collection. In this case it was a side room that could easily have been a tile from the core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thom1414 wrote:
Yes, that I know, I guess I wasn't clear: at what point will they start to MIX tiles, like use the core set tiles mixed in with Manor of Ravens, with a splash of Chains that Rust.

I guess my real questions is, does it even matter if they mix them?

There's only 2 expansions that require another expansion. They're both co op packs and bring no tiles of their own to mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
The answer is that FFG (probably) won't start mixing tilesets because this goes against a core principle of their design philosophy, that expansions are always fully standalone.

As far I know, FFG are pretty committed to making sure that every expansion is fully standalone. This is why we get all those complaints about duplicate components in The Chains That Rust expansion: FFG needed to include those extra components in order for TCTR to be genuinely stand-alone without you needing to buy Mists of Bilehall first.

Well, that logic probably extends to the app content. If they make something for one expansion, they'll do everything they can to make sure that it doesn't depend on resources from another in order to ensure that you're able to access all content made for all of your expansions. Mix tilesets and you immediately start limiting some of your content to people who have both, not merely one or the other, of a particular pair of expansions. The only real way to avoid this is to use tiles that everyone will necessarily have, i.e. mixing the core and expansion sets (which as far as I know they already do) or to avoid mixing tile sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Darwins_Dog wrote:
I think they already have that. We played a story quest last week that used a tile from SoN. It's possible that there are alternate versions (maybe randomly chosen) based on your collection. In this case it was a side room that could easily have been a tile from the core set.

Several quests (Mainly from the Hero and Monster packs)in RtL have an alternate set. For example, one quest has a completely different tile set but the same scenario if you own Labyrinth of Ruin. Another gets a complete overhaul if you own Shadow of Nerekhall. I haven't noticed any others that get significant changes based on expansions.

Kindred Fire's interlude (Defense of Thelys) has a tile from Shadow of Nerekhall which doesn't actually affect the map. It simply adds the extra tile to one branch and then sets the End cap on that instead of the tile it was connected to before. I'm not entirely sure they intended to leave that one in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony B
United States
flag msg tools
thom1414 wrote:
At what point do you suppose FF will offer tiles from different expansions to be mixed in their Road to Legend app? I know this is not an absolute deal breaker for many, but I would love to see the variety of going from one terrain, into a vastly different one in the same campaign.

If the app determines what sets you posses, then you should be able to create a bunch of campaigns based on that variety, yes?

Would be nice. I have four expansions and for as long as I have had them and tried to trick the system, I have only had the opportunity to use tiles from two of the sets. I would love to see or hear something from FF adding more side quests per expansion and having a better rotation. For as many side-quests as there are, I get the core side-quests significantly more than I have ever got the expansion ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive started developing a dark fantasy game..using a mix of tiles from my large D2E collection.[only got lair of the wyrm missing been hard to get hold of in the uk].also using the pawn sets from pathfinder for heroes and monsters etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.