Lordareon Frost
msg tools
Hi!
I've bought Dungeon Saga and it yet has to arrive, though i've been looking on the adventure manual and found out that in some scenarios players can lose if the overlord draw all of his cards. The folks i play with doesn't like this time restriction. I'd like to know for those who already played it if changing that rule to "After the Deck runs out, the player reshuffles it and draw 3 cards" would break much of the game.
Since the players would lose anyway, the overlord drawing 3 more cards doesn't seem like that big deal

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
My folks were bothered by the time limit initially but they got used to it. It keeps them moving forward without cleaning everything up behind them. I suggest try it.
But if you do the reshuffle thing then add more penalty to it. The OL cards are not that grwat at the end of the game. What use is 3 more commands when the heroes had time to kill everything and there is nothing to command left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lordareon Frost
msg tools
I'll give it a try, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another alternative that is used in missions in the Orc-themed expansion is to introduce 2 basic minions from the edge of the tiles that the Heroes entered from, each time you'd expect to draw a new card.

For slow moving minions like Skeletons that might not be much of a threat, so perhaps consider letting them enter the gameboard closer to the Heroes to ensure they are having to face a real and present danger and that it does feel like a penalty to them.

All that said, sometimes the time limit fits and feels right, so don't necessarily remove it completely. As long as your players know in advance that there is a time limit, they should keep that as a primary focus alongside the win condition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorial missions have no time limit. One group I was playing with took their time to carefully clear the first room on mission B before opening the door. That way they had no problem at all.
But they got used to having time and on Mission 1 "Well met" they ignored the time limit to long. I gave them the option to replay or to move on to the next mission. They wanted a rematch and it was great.
They moved forward under risk of getting hit. At the end they managed to open the last door with me having one card left to draw and their mage only one hitpoint left.
Very tense game. They started to like the thread the time limit provides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Van Krimpen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The way I've been running the campaign is to use the time limit from the optional rules - for each "loss" the players suffer in a game (run out of cards, character killed) they get an extra "hour" added on, but they can still proceed.

I then just keep track of the "hours", and tally up whether or not they won the campaign. Players have really enjoyed that focus and it means we don't keep replaying the same level. Had that problem when playing 1 v 1 against my wife!

Not had the players get into a situation where they can't finish a level, from for example losing the wizard before a warded door, but I imagine I would just add an hour and force a restart (with some bonus dice to spend to help out, if the players look like they need it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.