GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,631 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Roll Player» Forums » General

Subject: Any benefit to being Human? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

After reading the rules, I was wondering if there's a better reason to be Human other than the only idea I had:
It's best to be human if you can't guarantee which class you'll get.

I mean a random class could suck, but if I were first player and choosing my class last, then I think I'd pick a human just so I don't paint myself into a corner with class selection.

The only other thing I could think of is there's an expansion that adds race specific things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StagCutlery wrote:
Hi,

After reading the rules, I was wondering if there's a better reason to be Human other than the only idea I had:
It's best to be human if you can't guarantee which class you'll get.

I mean a random class could suck, but if I were first player and choosing my class last, then I think I'd pick a human just so I don't paint myself into a corner with class selection.

The only other thing I could think of is there's an expansion that adds race specific things.
You don't pick classes, you draw a die from the bag and that determines your class.

IMO the benefit of being human is that you have two less modifiers to keep track off. Also, since classes are random you don't have to worry about getting a class that just doesn't work with your race (though with classes being two sided that isn't too much of a worry)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do the variant where you draft classes in reverse turn order... at which point, yeah, you might have a reason for taking Human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hanson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook gives and option to choose your class instead of pulling a die at random.
Choose Race: First to Last
Choose Class: Last to First

I haven't had a chance to look at the spread of races yet, so I wasn't certain if choosing to be Human was a good idea with random classes.
If we drawing dice for classes, I might be Human so I don't end up with an off combo, say Orc and Wizard.

If you were choosing your class also, it seems to me that choosing to be Human is less likely the further away from first player you are.
If I were first player, I might be Human because my class selection would be limited, whereas if I were last player, I wouldn't choose Human because I could better synergize my class and race (since LP gets first crack at the classes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.