Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I don't know what the KS will exactly be about but this time it should really address (as add-ons) two things:

1) a convenient, classy and definitive way to store everything, expansions included (boxes, trays, minis storage solution)

2) Some totally dedicated sleeves for every single format of cards in this game. I mean the perfect fit.

That would be a huge step forward in my opinion because storing and keeping this game pristine is a huge pain in the butt.

That alone, added to a reprint, would make the KS worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voltemands voltemands
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
No! I'm just waiting on the Mage sleeves to complete my set.

Don't make all those hoooours of searching a waste

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Butthole Hands
United States
Mercer Island
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I completely agree, but I don't think we'll see card sleeves or minis storage. Sleeves just seem out of the scope of Poots and co, and given the generally small distribution of the game and the logistics required to do a production run of yet-another-thing. It's frustrating for the anal retentive in me, but it doesn't seem too likely.

The minis, though, could probably get custom foam from a company like Battlefoam. Actually running production would likely be a nightmare, but coordinating with someone in the business might be possible. That said the biggest issue is the overall volume a storage solution would take up. Some people have vertical or horizontal limitations, and the addition of new expansions would make it tough to add more storage. I think custom cut foam for the monsters would be sweet, and the survivors are too big for standard 25mm storage.

I'd actually love to see if the community could come up with a standard, effective and cheap storage solution. There are services out there that do a kinda crowdsourcing thing with machined parts and circuit boards. It's probably possible to get a bunch of people together to design and source a solution. I've seen it a lot in the DIY audiophile communities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Well, storage solutions for the card and terrain assets were mostly outsourced to Canada and a company called Minercreations.com. They make very nice particle-wood dividers that you can assemble, stain, and line with felt that allow you to store everything th game has currently on offer and still leave a good amount of room for upcoming expansions. That everything also fits inside the box as well is a great bonus.

There is also a guy in the reddit page who made his own customized wooden chest to store the game, cards, books, and minis (very cool, my next project).

Honestly, I believe this game is a lot of do it yourself (or outsource it), and taking an opportunity to learn new skills like woodcrafting or painting is all a part of the experience this game offers players who are so accustomed to having the major game companies do all the heavy lifting for them.

Can it be inconvenient? Yeah, sure. But every time I look in my KD:M box, I can say: "Yeah, I made those card storage boxes. They look fine as hell, don't they?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haukur Thor Buason
Iceland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When it comes to protecting the cards I think these fit very well:
FFG American board game sleeves (AI, Hit Location etc.)
52 x52mm Svan sleeves (Gear Cards)
and Vibrant lantern recommends BCW Postcard Sleeves 3 11/16 x 5 ¾ (Settlement event cards)

But if you are looking for something specifically designed for KD, I received this e-mail from the KD support staff “Adam will be offering card sleeves soon with opaque backs for the HL and AI cards. This will solve this problem. Expect them soon!” He only lists sleeves for the HL and AI cards so I don’t know if they will be offering anything for the gear cards or if the sleeves will be marked specifically for HL and AI so they won’t work well with the other cards of that size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for your answers. Really.

I read all these solutions already (I'm on this forum for years now) but that's what my post is about: none of them is perfect. There is always something left out of the box eventually (I'm not even talking about the minis).
Same for the sleeves, there are plenty of individual solutions and none makes a perfect fit for all types of cards. There is always one type or another that has to be tweaked somehow with various results.

That's the reason why I would really like to see some dedicated solutions. That would be a huge plus and it would certainly be a winner among the KD:M owners.
For me, a convenient and centralized packaging is as important as the game itself.

A bigger/deeper box with quality trays that can take it all would be nice.
A set of sleeves that would sleeve it all would be nice.

I would be glad to outsource if only there was a neat solution but they all require that you make some concessions, as long as you want to keep everything in the original box and not be forced to use some additional shoeboxes.
Even having the possibility to acquire empty dedicated boxes would be a good start.

About the DYI: you are right, it could be fun but keep in mind that not everybody has the skills and tools to do that.
Moreover, some lives in apartments in a city where there is no room for woodcrafting. Especially when, eventually, this solution still doesn't fit all of the components (in the original box) anyway.
There are some companies that produce some bags to carry the minis but I want game boxes and trays, not some travel bags all over the place. My apartment tolerates game boxes on my shelves but not bags on the floor.

I'm not defying you here, just pointing out a need.
Plenty of threads around here are about just that: storing the game. None leads to an ideal fix. So I think that asking for a clever dedicated solution is not irrelevant regarding the fact that a new KS is on its way.

My 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: this high-end, top-shelf board game needs a high-end, top-shelf storage solution.

Proper sleeves for us sleevers would also be a huge plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
I agree: this high-end, top-shelf board game needs a high-end, top-shelf storage solution.

Proper sleeves for us sleevers would also be a huge plus.

My english is not so good. I have to multiply sentences a lot in order to express the simplest ideas.

In two sentences, you just nailed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually find myself agreeing with what you have to say Baylock, so your English must not be that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehane Richards
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Keeper wrote:
When it comes to protecting the cards I think these fit very well:
FFG American board game sleeves (AI, Hit Location etc.)
52 x52mm Svan sleeves (Gear Cards)
and Vibrant lantern recommends BCW Postcard Sleeves 3 11/16 x 5 ¾ (Settlement event cards)

I went with the Swan sleeves, too. I tried to order Mage but after 7 weeks of them not arriving I asked for a refund.

Sure, the Swan sleeves are a lot thinner, but they cost a tonne less. Plus, you don't need thick sleeves for the gear as you don't shuffle them.

I also went with FFG for the bigger cards as they're nice and robust for shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.