9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Deck building suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So i'm looking at maybe buying a deck building game(it needs to be themed, my son has autism and is extremely picky...lol)

he loves Marvel, which obviously leads me onto Legendary: Marvel

he also loves Harry Potter, which leads me onto the Hogwarts Battle game

he loves all things comic and film, so i would like to get him a game we can play that is accessible and a great game

is there any other deck building games that you can think of that would be more suitable than the 2 i have mentioned(bear in mind, it needs to be themed towards sci-fi/marvel/film)

Thanks for any replies in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are on the right track with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game based on what you said he enjoys. Also that game is best played as a co-operative game so he might enjoy everyone working together instead of trying to beat everyone.

If he does like sci-fi (spaceships and stuff) you could look at Star Realms; that is pretty much the 'big name' of the fast, accessible 1v1 competitive deckbuilders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Morph Mode wrote:
I think you are on the right track with Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game based on what you said he enjoys. Also that game is best played as a co-operative game so he might enjoy everyone working together instead of trying to beat everyone.

If he does like sci-fi (spaceships and stuff) you could look at Star Realms; that is pretty much the 'big name' of the fast, accessible 1v1 competitive deckbuilders.

yeah, i do not think he would be interested if it wasnt themed, i did have a look at the Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game game, as we both like that, but havent really heard much about it, and it also says it better played with 3, which will not be an option for the card building game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played the Harry Potter one, but The Big Book of Madness is solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Legendary is a fantastic game and a good choice! My girlfriend and I have racked up about 70 plays. You can play it as a pure co-op, but there is optional scoring at the end if that's something you're interested in. The base game is very easy. The game really starts to shine with the first big expansion, Dark City. The other expansions are great, but can be added in pretty much any order you choose, if you choose to add them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your criteria, I'd definitely go with Marvel Legendary. Even if they were stripped of theme, I think it's a better game than the Harry Potter one.

Star Realms is also a great option, and it's worth every cent of the $10 or so it costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the Harry Potter deckbuilder, and own Legendary encounters: Firefly. Both of them are very effective in their theme. In HP, you play through each book; in Firefly, a game consists of 3 episodes.

I only got a chance to play the first three books of HP, and it was pretty easy to beat, although I've heard that it does get quite a bit harder starting in book 4. We played with 4 people, so I couldn't say how it plays with only 2. I did dislike that between each book, your deck resets, and you take out everything you've added (thematically: you've forgotten everything over the summer -- weak, imo). This does have the advantage, though, that you could probably just decide to play any arbitrary book once you've played through everything (just a guess).

Firefly has been much harder. We haven't actually managed to beat a set of 3 episodes yet. Unlike HP, you keep your entire deck from one episode to the next. Also, you always have 5 main characters in play, even if you're only playing with 2, and the remaining 4 build the deck you can recruit from. This means that a 2 player game isn't negatively affected when a card says something like "If River is a main character..." However, the instructions aren't the most straightforward, and figuring out the game takes a lot of referring back to the rules, and sometimes a bit of guessing.

Both have been fun, immersive experiences. HP is probably easier to pick up, Firefly probably has more important strategic decisions.

One final possibly important point since he has autism: HP licensed images from the movies, so the art is all from those. Firefly didn't, so the art is all drawn and definitely looks different than the actors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he like Game of Thrones? Then he will definitely like A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition), the feel of GoT really comes through.

Haven't played it myself, yet, but I heard that The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is really good as well (and it is a coop game).

Sidenote: both games are Living Card Games (lots of expansions), don't know if thats a plus or a minus.
Second sidenote: a lot of card games can be played online, for free. Maybe he wants to try some out first?

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, Hogwarts Battle is a fine co-op deckbuilder, its strength being in the "modules" that you unlock for each new game. This would make teaching the deckbuilding mechanic and style of gameplay very easy.
Downside could be that it's too easy to win, though it does suggest handicapping yourselves if you find it so after a few plays.
We play with just the two of us, and it works very well.

We also recently acquired Legendary Firefly, which is definitely a step or two up in complexity from Hogwarts Battle. That does need 3-4 players to really work though. The Marvel one is fun, and does require more skill in building your deck than Hogwarts. I think this would similarly be better with more players though.

I would love to second the suggestion for The Big Book of Madness. So much fun, and more going on than just deckbuilding. Not based on a pre-existing franchise, but it's almost more Harry Potter than Hogwarts Battle. Beautiful, bright art. More decisions to be made than in Hogwarts or Legendary I think, so the co-op really shines.

Sorry I didn't add any new suggestions, but I think I would go with Hogwarts Battle if he's new to deckbuilders or Big Book of Madness if you think he's ready for a more complex game and if he likes the look of the art and theme, despite it not being a franchise. I would definitely go for a co-op, as it's so easy for competitive deckbuilders to feel like multiplayer solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.