11 Posts

Power Grid: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Summary of when to remove the smallest power plant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
flag msg tools
I just want to confirm that I understand all the rules spread throughout the rulebook for removing the smallest power plant in the power plant market. Here they are, summarized in one place:

During the auction phase:
- If the discount token is on the smallest power plant, and a smaller power plant is drawn, then remove and replace the drawn power plant, and set aside the discount token.

At the end of the auction phase:
- If nobody bought the discounted power plant, remove and replace it.
- If the “1x” card is in the power plant market, then remove both the smallest power plant and the “1x” card (do not replace them). This happens after removing and replacing the discounted power plant when applicable.

During the buy resources phase:
- Whenever the resource discard pile is shuffled, remove and replace the smallest power plant.

At the end of the bureaucracy phase:
- If the “1x” card is drawn while updating the power plant market, then remove both the lowest power plant and the “1x” card (do not replace them).
- If the “1x” card was drawn during the auction phase of this round, remove and replace the smallest power plant.

I find the last rule a little odd... if the "1x"/"one more round" card appears in the first phase instead of the third phase, then the smallest power plant in the market is removed one additional time during the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
Yes these are all the cases. Since the rulebook is such a mess in my opinion, I created a flowchart of the game which contains exactly these cases as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameskk wrote:

- Whenever the resource discard pile is shuffled, remove and replace the smallest power plant.

We missed this rule completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Maddox
Germany
berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
It's the journey not the destination.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry what is he 1x card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benisace wrote:
Sorry what is he 1x card?

The card that starts at the bottom of the power plant deck; when it is drawn there will be one more full turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
jameskk wrote:

We missed this rule completely.

So did we the first time or two. I have a note to myself to write up a little cheat sheet - Subtle differences for experienced Power Grid players aka Rules that you will probably overlook because you have been playing Power Grid for over ten years. This will be on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameskk wrote:
I just want to confirm that I understand all the rules spread throughout the rulebook for removing the smallest power plant in the power plant market. Here they are, summarized in one place:

During the auction phase:
- If the discount token is on the smallest power plant, and a smaller power plant is drawn, then remove and replace the drawn power plant, and set aside the discount token.

At the end of the auction phase:
- If nobody bought the discounted power plant, remove and replace it.
- If the “1x” card is in the power plant market, then remove both the smallest power plant and the “1x” card (do not replace them). This happens after removing and replacing the discounted power plant when applicable.

- If the “1x” card is drawn while updating the power plant market, then remove both the lowest power plant and the “1x” card (do not replace them).
- If the “1x” card was drawn during the auction phase of this round, remove and replace the smallest power plant.

I find the last rule a little odd... if the "1x"/"one more round" card appears in the first phase instead of the third phase, then the smallest power plant in the market is removed one additional time during the round.

Is that last rule equivalent to "First, remove and replace the lowest power plant if it has the discount. Then if the 1x card is in the market at the end of the auction phase, remove the lowest power plant (along with the 1x card). If that happened (the 1x card was there at the end of the auction), then later at the end of the bureaucracy phase, once again remove the lowest power plant and draw a replacement."

That is, you remove the lowest power plant twice (or three times, if the discount was there), but not doing the final discard/draw until the end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Engelberg
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"At the end of the bureaucracy phase:
"

This last rule makes little sense to me. It seems to me that the spirit of the rule is probably to ensure that the available power plants in the last round begin with at least one card from the "ultra good cards" that were hoarded at the bottom of the draw stack throughout the game. However, this rule fails to completely achieve that objective. Specifically, if the "last round" card is the very last card drawn at the end of phase 1, the extra removal-and-replace is not triggered, so you go into the final round with none of the really good cards in play.

I think this rule is likely an error, and I would love to get official clarification on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I have a note to myself to write up a little cheat sheet - Subtle differences for experienced Power Grid players aka Rules that you will probably overlook because you have been playing Power Grid for over ten years. This will be on that list.

I would love to see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Engelberg
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameskk wrote:

This rule simply doesn't make any kind of logical sense to me, which makes it incredibly difficult to remember. Has anyone found some rhyme or reason to the rule that would help me understand why you do an extra remove and replace when the "1x" card shows up during the auction phase versus the bureaucracy phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Davies
United States
Newberg
Or
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzler wrote:
jameskk wrote:

This rule simply doesn't make any kind of logical sense to me, which makes it incredibly difficult to remember. Has anyone found some rhyme or reason to the rule that would help me understand why you do an extra remove and replace when the "1x" card shows up during the auction phase versus the bureaucracy phase?

I agree, this rule can be a bit convoluted. I'm pretty sure we missed this rule both times that we've played the game. I've actually created some cheat sheets to help serve as a reminder, just waiting for BGG to approve the file submission.

Anyway, I think this is somewhat of a "halfway" rule to a similar rule in regular Power Grid. In the board game, you always remove and replace the lowest power plant in the market once the game has reached Step 3. I'm pretty sure this is an attempt to accelerate the market during end-game turns. Pretty sure the rule in the card game is a similar effort to bring more high-value power plants into the market on the final turn.

Where it really breaks down for me though, is why there needs to be unique situations depending on if the "one more round" card was drawn in the auction phase or during the bureaucracy phase. It makes more sense to me that it would just be "if 'one more round' card is drawn, place it as the highest power plant for the remainder of the current phase. At the end of the current phase, remove 'one more round' and the lowest power plant from the game. During the beginning of the following (and final auction phase), remove and replace the lowest power plant one time." This would serve to create a uniform description for both instances and also accelerate the market on the final turn.

I do have one theory on why an additional card gets removed if drawn during auction phase. Often times, when the 'one more round' (or Step 3 in the board game) card gets drawn during the auction phase, the market stalls for the remainder of the round. Quite simply, players that can bid on power plants may choose to pass once the 'one more round' card comes out. The current market no longer appears lucrative when the future market will be made available the following turn. So I could see removing an additional power plant being an attempt to make up for the "auction phase stall."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.