Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western is a relatively simple game that provides many interesting choices. Basically, on your turn you will move your cattleman figure, take action(s) which are determined by your final location(s) of your cattleman, and then you finally draw back up to your hand limit. Your goal is to travel to Kansas City with a hand of cards that has different types of cattle. After each trip to Kansas City, you will return to the start area to repeat the trip all over again. On the way there, there are several forks in the path. However you must always continue to move forward to Kansas City with your cattleman.

Once you understand the game's iconography, each player should be able to craft very quick turns. The actions you can take during your turn are restricted by whether or not you can reach particular locations since each player is limited by their cattleman's movement speed.

The game is complex since you are in a constant struggle to maintain a hand of diverse cattle worth bringing to Kansas City. The ideal is all different cattle types and preferably higher the value the better. You must weigh the benefits of executing the various location actions on the board, reflect on potential costs for moving through other player buildings or hazards, and finally give consideration to potential bonus actions that could be generated off your player board.

I have played a 4 player game and can't wait to play again. We all took different approaches to this game. I happened to hire many Craftsmen to plop down beneficial buildings for me which provided income when players moved through them. Despite buying a single red and a single yellow cow from the market during the game, I was able to exploit my buildings and auxiliary board actions to move through my herd deck to have a diverse set of cattle upon arrival in Kansas City. Another player culled their deck and bought lots of high value cattle. I am excited to explore other strategies in future games.

Great Western Trail provides a lot of strategic flexibility to its players. Overall I think Great Western Trail is a wonderful game. Plenty of interesting choices and there is definitely enough player interaction to keep me happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did your game take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our first 3p was 3,15 h.You have to play a few turns to understand how it works. Next time i think it will stay between 2 and 2,5 h. With 4 count 3 hrs .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my 4 player game was about 3 hours. This is not including the time for explanation. I feel like if I played with an experienced group it would be 120-150 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.