$15.00
$30.00
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This looks like a good deal online... It's $20 with free in-store pickup, or free shipping if you spend $25+

http://www.target.com/p/machi-koro-bright-lights-big-city-bo...

And there's the "spend $50, save $10" offer.

Finally, if you have one of those $20 for $10 Groupon Target deals that's even better – https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653242/20-target-gift-card...

Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how does this differ from the Deluxe Edition? I don't have Machi Koro yet but haven't been sure which one to get

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
how does this differ from the Deluxe Edition? I don't have Machi Koro yet but haven't been sure which one to get

Good question – I haven't played it (d'oh!). Tom Vasel's review covers the differences and I just added it to my original post. He says he recommends it over the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
weasel wrote:
graywolf323 wrote:

Good question – I haven't played it (d'oh!). Tom Vasel's review covers the differences and I just added it to my original post. He says he recommends it over the original.

Consider it a "greatest hits" collection of Machi Koro. You don't get everything, but its good enough. For $20, if you don't own any Machi Koro its a good way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This plus the Ticket to Ride: My First Journey game, and you've got a couple of great family games, super cheap and with free shipping. Christmas presents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
The deluxe edition is slightly better to me, the cards are a bit better, but the biggest difference is the artwork. Personally I like the art of the day time edition rather then Bright Lights, Big City. Something about the purple background just isn't as good since the bright colors was partially what drew me into Machi Koro.

Still at 20$ it's quite a steal. There aren't any gameplay differences. Comes down mostly to art style and this price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
This plus the Ticket to Ride: My First Journey game, and you've got a couple of great family games, super cheap and with free shipping. Christmas presents!

have you actually played my first journey, i haven't heard anything positive about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:

have you actually played my first journey...
We have, quite a bit. I had been dumbing down TtR by taking out the risk element of destinations in order to make it easier on my 5 yo, but the 3 yo was still struggling with it. MFJ is much more suitable for younger players. It's been fun for me and the 7 yo, too. If your groups (which include children, I assume, otherwise I don't know why anyone on BGG would be interested) have no trouble playing basic TtR there's no reason to get My First Journey.

I know a couple of families where the children and adults struggled a bit with basic TtR (they had had no experience playing boardgames since the roll-and-move stuff of their childhoods) and MFJ worked well for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Scratch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered Bright Lights, Big City during Target's last B2G1 free deal. Honestly, it's not up to par for their typical production value. Even the box itself is clearly made with flimsier cardboard than they're normal fair. The cards feel almost paper thin -I'm fine with sleeving things, hell I sleeve MOST of my games; but this game using 'board game' size cards (rather than standard size cards) means that I can't just throw some of my bulk-buy Ultra Pro sleeves at it.

Beyond the 'OCD' tendencies of some folks who sleeve everything, this game really demands it if you intend to get any kind of use out of it. The cards in this version just aren't going to hold up to much use otherwise -so it's like they basically lowered production costs and passed the cost on to you if you want to use their product more than a few times. In reality, it's going to cost more to sleeve this game than it did to buy it. Just factor that cost in when you're looking at the "Bright Lights, Big City" version of this game. I haven't heard any complaints about the other versions, but this one seems to be a pretty consistent complaint from what I've seen elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Given the various production issues with the regular (expansions too) and deluxe versions of Machi Koro, I didn't think IDW could do any worse.

I'm shocked ... well not that shocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.