Subject: Bunch of Rules Questions (regarding arrows) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Ribeiro
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I love the expansion, I just had some rules questions regarding characters with powers that involve arrows, especially when playing with the chieftain's arrow.

The chieftain's arrow can be taken from the pool when you roll an arrow, but how does it work with Elena Fuente? Can she hand out the Chieftain's arrow?

Can a player take the Chieftain's arrow if they shoot El Gringo?

The broken Arrow roll removes an arrow, but cannot remove the Chieftain's arrow. Can Kit Carlson remove the Chieftain's arrow with his ability?

Can Bart Cassidy take the Chieftain's arrow instead of damage, or just regular arrows?

One more question for Elena, does she give the arrow out instead of taking it herself, or does she give the arrow after she takes it? Mainly just checking in regards to the Indian attack once arrow pool is empty.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dV Giochi
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Matt,
here are your answers:

Quote:
The chieftain's arrow can be taken from the pool when you roll an arrow. Can Elena Fuente hand out the Chieftain's arrow?

Yes, she can!

Quote:

Can a player take the Chieftain's arrow if they shoot El Gringo?

Yes, they can.

Quote:
The broken Arrow roll removes an arrow, but cannot remove the Chieftain's arrow. Can Kit Carlson remove the Chieftain's arrow with his ability?

Yes, he can do it.

Quote:

Can Bart Cassidy take the Chieftain's arrow instead of damage, or just regular arrows?

He can choose to take the arrow of the Indian Chief.

Quote:
One more question for Elena, does she give the arrow out instead of taking it herself, or does she give the arrow after she takes it? Mainly just checking in regards to the Indian attack once arrow pool is empty.

She directly gives the arrow instead of taking it for herself.

In case she is supposed to get more than one arrow, she decides in which order the arrows are taken (i.e.: she could give one arrow to another player, trigger the indians attack, then take the remaining arrows for herself; or she could do everything in the opposite order...)

Hope this helps

Have Fun!

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ribeiro
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Grider
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another question concerning the arrows. Does the Indian Chief Arrow replace one of the arrows from the base game?

The example for it seems to indicate that it does, but we'd like to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dV Giochi
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James,

Just add the Indain Chief Arrow to the 9 standard arrows so that you have 10 tokens.

In the example, Barbara has 4 tokens (including Indian chief arrow who counts as 2, so she actually has 5 arrows).

Hope this helps

Best regards

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Stevens
msg tools
Just wanted to tack onto this discussion, particularly the bit about Bart Cassidy. Having him in the game with the Chieftain's Arrow seems a bit broken to me.

Just played a game of this where the renegade was Bart Cassidy and was able to basically get away from all damage simply by taking all his damage in arrows and since he had the Chieftain's arrow he took zero damage when they depleted.

Early game this isn't all that terrible because no one really knows who anyone is. But late game this can be incredibly devastating. Ex. Sheriff, 2 deputies, and renegade are still in the game and everyone is revealed. 9 times out of 10 in this situation, the renegade loses, but if he happens to be Butch Cassidy then he almost can't fail.

In this situation, everyone should be gunning for the renegade, but by doing so he just takes arrows which result in zero damage (due to Chieftain's Arrow). The only way to stop this is to get the Chieftain's Arrow before him (which is basically luck of the roll) or to try to get at least as many arrows as him (which is both self detrimental and an incredibly hard uphill battle because he has a much easier way to get arrows).

I know this is an extreme example (and not how it played out in our game) but even under normal circumstances Bart has an ability that I feel is far too overpowered when combined with the Chieftain's arrow.

For now I'm removing him from my copy of the game. But I wanted to get some opinions on what other people thought of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ribeiro
United States
California
flag msg tools
Jeremy,

Thus is why I asked those questions, I felt the chieftain's arrow really breaks a few people. Until we fit the answer we just house ruled that character abilities only interact with the chieftain's arrow if they specifically mention it (i.e. Apache Kid). This brought stone stronger characters down in power, but after playing more we just know to work around Bart Cassidy. If the chieftain's arrow is still in the pool, then don't shoot bart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dVGiochi wrote:
Hi James,

Just add the Indain Chief Arrow to the 9 standard arrows so that you have 10 tokens.

In the example, Barbara has 4 tokens (including Indian chief arrow who counts as 2, so she actually has 5 arrows).

Hope this helps

Best regards

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor

The example is still unclear to me. What happens if two players each have five arrows? Does the player with the chief's arrow get damage because they have the same amount of arrow tokens, and does he get an additional damage for having the chief's arrow? Or does the player with the chief's arrow not get any damage at all because he's considered to have six arrows, which is more than the other player's five arrows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dV Giochi
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Wilbert,
the arrow of the Indian Chief counts as 2 regular arrows - i.e.: it counts as two regular arrow tokens.

When indians attack, if you have the highest number of arrows (with the Indian Chief arrow counting as 2 arrows) and you are not in a tie with other players, you do not lose life points.

Hope this helps

Have fun

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That does help. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Holt
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
Hi

Loving the expansion, could you answer me this though, if a broken arrow is rolled and no-one(you like) has arrows are you forced to help someone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dV Giochi
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Tim,
as a rule of thumb: you must apply all the dice results, if possible.

A Beer result makes you choose a player to restore him 1 life point. It is specified in the rules you can choose a player who already has all the life points and he would gain nothing.

A Broken arrow result makes you return one arrow from any player to the central pile.
This means you cannot choose a player without arrow tokens.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Martino Chiacchiera
Junior Editor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.