Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to getting my KS order of the game, and can't wait to play. But, in all the preview and playthrough videos, which feature champions being expended to active an ability, I keep asking myself, "why would you ever NOT expend a champion?"

Since champions prepare again at the end of your turn, it appears the only reason you would expend it is so you remember you've already activated that ability - there's no downside to doing it. Therefore, it seems that a useful mechanic - expending a champion as opposed to leaving it prepared - is pointless as the game stands.

Am I missing something, or is there some other purpose to this? Is there any reason you would ever NOT expend a champion for its benefit on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Iirc, Expended Champions cannot be assigned "to block" shall we call it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:

You do not rc. There is no assigning to block in HR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two reasons for expend abilities:

1. As you said, it is to keep track of whether or not you used that champions primary ability yet this turn. More than that though, is abilities that prepare a champion. I don't have the PnP files in front of me, but I think that there are cards in the set that allow you to prepare a champion. This will allow you to use the primary ability a second time.

2. I don't think that there are any in the PnP, but White Wizards has mentioned abilities that will expend an opponent's champion. That champion would no longer have defender and would not get to use its primary ability next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erskine Thompson
United States
Rome
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:

What you're recalling is Epic Card Game, in which that's the case. Here champions function similar to bases/outposts in Star Realms, but also have an "expend" ability along with any constant or ally ability they may have. What I'm curious about is why the "expend" mechanic is even in place if there's no risk to expending your champion and it's just going to be prepared again before your opponent can react.

It would make sense if you expended a guard and then couldn't prepare him again before your opponent's turn, because the guard actually blocks incoming combat (like outposts in SR), but then couldn't block if he's expended. Again though, that can't actually happen, from what I've seen, so there's no actual risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "elephant in the room" here, from this casual observer's perspective, is that you expend the champion when you use their ability. An expended champion is one whose ability can no longer be used, right?

Expend marks the use of your ability. It doesn't have to mean anything more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Careful, just because a mechanic seems pointless in the base game (and it actually isn't pointless, read the previous answers) doesn't mean that it doesn't have a function that future expansions will exploit Might as well implement it in the base rules to make it easier later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

It's an easy way to tell if you've used an ability. Sometimes people have been known to forget which abilities they have used when playing Star Realms, so we built it into the rules.

It also gives us design space. Really, a win-win.

Ian Taylor
Director of Organized Play
White Wizard Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Carew
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This is why I am a fan of it. We tend to play Star Realms pretty casually and we ended up "expending" bases unofficially just to track them incase there were delays or what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kriss pics
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some card say "prepare a champion " so you can expend (use ability) then prepare a champion and expend it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwager
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Exactly. My nephew and i were confused about the expend mechanic, until we realized it was an indicator. With one or two champions it doesn't matter... For now... Because you prepare them at the end of your turn.

But then there's the ability to prepare a champion, and you can easily have 3 champions up, so it starts to become useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.