6 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Alien Star Roamers - unbeatable faction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which two factions would you use to beat Alien/Star Roamers? So far, I haven't been able to find a combo that beats them.

Star Roamers have a ton of cards that support the strategy of playing Invaders for 1 VP, then sucking them back to your hand to play again:

-Science Officer, Mass Teleport, and Teleport overflow can all get back into your hand to play again. Port Me Up can even save an Invader when a base is breaking.
-Ship's Captain helps you get an Invader out early (which is usually the only thing that can thwart an Invader strategy).
-Ensign and Protector Fields can protect your Invaders from destruction if you have to keep them out on the field during opponent turns.

Usually I've found Smash Up incredibly balanced, no matter how many expansions they've released. Is this one a game breaker though? I'd be VERY curious if you can find a pair that can beat them! Seems like you'd need something that breaks bases awful fast, and with a fair amount of destructive power so you can break bases alone.

PS: I've only played them in two player matches. Maybe they're not as good in 3- or 4-player matches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your "PS" sorta answers your question. Aliens are considered very OP in 2 player games, even before Starroamers came out, it's easy for them to just not score bases in 2 player games and get Invader points all game. I'd say Zombie Aliens might be even better than Starroamer Aliens, but Zombies are broke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spies come to mind in order to destroy invaders as specials or stopping it from coming early.

Geeks also help against invader and actions to replay it.

Dragon steam punk can counter the alien's imnvader with their VP denial. As could Elder Things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sonus wrote:
Your "PS" sorta answers your question. Aliens are considered very OP in 2 player games, even before Starroamers came out, it's easy for them to just not score bases in 2 player games and get Invader points all game. I'd say Zombie Aliens might be even better than Starroamer Aliens, but Zombies are broke.

I guess I play too many 2 player matches! I ended up playing a 4 player match with Alien/Star Roamers and they. got. TROUNCED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Jones, yo
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Chah Bro, Aliens stomp the yard in a 2 player game-- their two themes (VP generation and stalling) are optimized to inconvenience a single opponent. Playing them 1v1 is a sassy move, sir.

HOWEVAH, the question was asked, "how2beat the United Federation of Planets?"

1v1 grudge match!!!!!! I'd invest in Geek-Sharks. Geeks supply you with 2 copies of Banned List (name a card, if opponent has it in hand they must discard it) and Control Minion (Special: take control of a minion as it is played-- which neatly dodges Ensigns' powers), actions which savage the bejeezus out of attempts to Invader Dance. You also have Cosplay (gain 1 VP FO' FREE BB) to counteract VP discrepancies and Non-Infinite Loop to reinforce whatever actions you want to play more than once.

And then you play Sharks to obliterate Ensigns and Collectors, spam Makos and Gurus to counteract minions returned to hands, and then use Dangerous Waters, Laser Beam, and Megalodon to selectively target the Medical Officer and Science Officer.

If the Aliens Terraform, use Felicia Day to pop whatever advantageous base they try to dredge up. If they use Protector fields, you use Rules Lawyer. Use Min-Max whenever you want, just to be a dick. Revel that your janky combo is pasting the thematic congruence of the Outer Space Alliance.

This wouldn't be a ROFLstomp, but Geek-Sharks are so uniquely tailored to counteract Alien-Roamers that I cannot fathom how they could lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Buddy_Funky wrote:
Chah Bro, Aliens stomp the yard in a 2 player game-- their two themes (VP generation and stalling) are optimized to inconvenience a single opponent. Playing them 1v1 is a sassy move, sir.

HOWEVAH, the question was asked, "how2beat the United Federation of Planets?"

1v1 grudge match!!!!!! I'd invest in Geek-Sharks. Geeks supply you with 2 copies of Banned List (name a card, if opponent has it in hand they must discard it) and Control Minion (Special: take control of a minion as it is played-- which neatly dodges Ensigns' powers), actions which savage the bejeezus out of attempts to Invader Dance. You also have Cosplay (gain 1 VP FO' FREE BB) to counteract VP discrepancies and Non-Infinite Loop to reinforce whatever actions you want to play more than once.

And then you play Sharks to obliterate Ensigns and Collectors, spam Makos and Gurus to counteract minions returned to hands, and then use Dangerous Waters, Laser Beam, and Megalodon to selectively target the Medical Officer and Science Officer.

If the Aliens Terraform, use Felicia Day to pop whatever advantageous base they try to dredge up. If they use Protector fields, you use Rules Lawyer. Use Min-Max whenever you want, just to be a dick. Revel that your janky combo is pasting the thematic congruence of the Outer Space Alliance.

This wouldn't be a ROFLstomp, but Geek-Sharks are so uniquely tailored to counteract Alien-Roamers that I cannot fathom how they could lose.

This is quality posting. Language A+ Strategy A+ all around A+ 5/7 perfect score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.