Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how players actually receive these. Set up states you stack them in a deck but the rules imply you can see what you are getting so I'm missing something somewhere. Any help much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After each fair, players will buy the green magnate tiles. You'll then refresh the tableau with any remaining green tiles. Once those run out, you start filling with magnate multiplier tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What tableau? The tableau shown in the setup is only showing the light green tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During initial setup, the tableau is entirely green tiles.

You then create a deck with the purple tiles on the bottom and the remaining green tiles on the top.

After players purchase the green tiles from the tableau, you refresh it by drawing from the deck comprised of green and purple tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Frans
United States
Mukilteo
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
I don't see how players actually receive these. Set up states you stack them in a deck but the rules imply you can see what you are getting so I'm missing something somewhere. Any help much appreciated.

I actually had the same question after reading the rules and set up for the 2016 edition.

mavericklancer wrote:
During initial setup, the tableau is entirely green tiles.

You then create a deck with the purple tiles on the bottom and the remaining green tiles on the top.

After players purchase the green tiles from the tableau, you refresh it by drawing from the deck comprised of green and purple tiles.

While I believe this sounds correct, is there a place I should be referring to in the rules or setup book to actually determine that this is how it is supposed to work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PhoenixSF2 wrote:
Is there a place I should be referring to in the rules or setup book to actually determine that this is how it is supposed to work?

Reference Book, Step 7 (pp.3-4). With additional information in the third column of page 4 under, "Select Your Initial Magnate Action tile"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And "how to get Magnate Tiles" is explained on p. 15 (point d) of the "Special Vintage 2016 Rulebook".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game yesterday (great!) and this was something I had to double-check as well.

I would only add that "refresh" might confuse a few people. You don't fill up any unused spaces after purchasing them. If any tiles are left after all players pass, you discard any remaining ones and then fill the spaces again. At least in the two-player game this meant we went through all but one blue tile. (Funnily enough, that was the one tile I wanted the most--the bonus VP for farmers, LOL.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Played our first game yesterday (great!) and this was something I had to double-check as well.

I would only add that "refresh" might confuse a few people. You don't fill up any unused spaces after purchasing them. If any tiles are left after all players pass, you discard any remaining ones and then fill the spaces again. At least in the two-player game this meant we went through all but one blue tile. (Funnily enough, that was the one tile I wanted the most--the bonus VP for farmers, LOL.)

Huh? I'll have to double check my numbers but I thought it was designed so you always went through all tiles at all player counts.

-Kyle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:
japester1 wrote:

Huh? I'll have to double check my numbers but I thought it was designed so you always went through all tiles at all player counts.

-Kyle

I can't speak for 3/4 players, but 2 leaves a single unused multiplier tile, unless I got something wrong. I thought having one tile unused was intentional because it adds that dash of unpredictability (which happened to nail me in my very first game).

Counting the tiles, we have 9 magnate action tiles in the 2 player game (with 9 more being reserved for the higher player counts, total of 18 tiles). Then we have 12 magnate multiplier tiles used in the 2 player game (10 tiles with the special filigree at the top, plus 2 more as specified in the rules). That's 21 tiles (9 action + 12 multiplier). Players get a free one to start, leaving 19 tiles. And with 6 slots to fill each fair, that leaves a single unused tile.

Any corrections are much appreciated! Just organizing this game and sorting the components and expansions was a chore (but a delightful one, LOL).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.