Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
My other half keeps asking me for "fun" games, with that she means games that make people laugh whilst playing. whistle

Like in "comedy".
Myself however, I'm not too keen on "comedy" because I'm difficult I guess, difficult for me to find it "funny".

Don't get me wrong, I like to laugh and during games with the groups, we laugh a lot, mostly not about the game itself though.

but she wants games to make her laugh. so yeah.. I'm lost... please help!

A sample game that we did like (not for the game but for the theme) is Redneck Life
But that game only gets played once every couple years because if repeated too soon, it isn't funny at all. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebooks and walkthroughs of

Dungeon Lords

Space Alert

Galaxy Trucker

By chvatil are hilarious. The games (and, dungeon petz probably, but I dont own it) are solid games in the serious deep thinking gamer way, but are themed very tongue in cheek, making fun of a whole genre kind of way.

Smash Up ends up with some hilarious combos that yield unexpected results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find any attempt to make me laugh through some game text or art usually falls flat and will stop being funny after the first time playing anyway. I find the laughter has to come from the group itself. The games most conducive to this are party games.

The hardest I remember laughing in games is probably Telestrations and Time's Up!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a blast as a kid with the Mad games.

If you like monopoly games, there's The Mad Magazine board game.
If you like Uno/Crazy 8s, there's Mad Magazine Card Game.

Munchkin is a humorous take on RPG gamers who only care about looting and gaining levels.

The makers of Munchkin had an RPG called TOON, where you take the role of a golden age-esque cartoon character.

We always laugh playing Apples to Apples, and a low-tech alternative, Mad Libs.

Poo is a card game with a premise of a bunch of monkeys throwing feces at each other. Strangely, it's family-friendly. I never played it but it sounds surrealist funny. Same with Kittens in a blender, where you try to save a bunch of curious kitchen kittens from death by curiosity.

Two other board games I never played but intend to be funny are The Crazy Cat Lady and Trailer Park Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's Kill Is hilarious for the stick figure pictures and comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Fost
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but Cards Against Humanity usually is good for a few laughs. (Especially if it's your first few games)

I would recommend Things... though because it lets you use your own creativity to bring out the humour.

Take care,
Douglas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Awkward Family Photos Movie Line Caption Game is hilarious. Just make sure you get the "Movie Line" version... much better than the original.

You can skip the first 1.5 minutes if you just wanna get to the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:

Dungeon Lords

Space Alert

Galaxy Trucker

By chvatil are hilarious. The games (and, dungeon petz probably, but I dont own it) are solid games in the serious deep thinking gamer way, but are themed very tongue in cheek, making fun of a whole genre kind of way.

Smash Up ends up with some hilarious combos that yield unexpected results.

Galaxy Trucker is thinky?!? That game is pure goofy fun. The scramble for tiles leads to hilarity! Well, until my wife got fed up one time and said a bad word. Which led to hilarity for the kid and I, but then we never got to play it again. Hmmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Thomson
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can laugh at your own misfortune, Galaxy Trucker and RoboRally are both great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyfall is the first game that came to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time's Up! usually turns into hilarity by the second round, if not sooner.

I don't think I've ever seen a game of Cosmic Encounter that didn't result in a whole table full of laughter, especially if you get some of the wackier powers on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard The Networks is good for some laughs with show names and references, but I've never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've enjoyed Bubble Talk (TechnoSource) and There's a Moose in the House (Gamewright)...

Bubble Talk

There's a Moose in the House

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I know that I actually consider funny is The Red Dragon Inn, make sure to read the flavour text out loud (e.g. Somebody tries to do damage to you and you reply with "hey, where did the little guy go?")

Some people consider Munchkin quite funny, but it doesnt have much popularity here due to its tendency to drag on.

I agree with others that the most laughs I get during gaming are created by chaotic crazyness (Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Duplik, Space Alert are the first that come to mind)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
making fun of a whole genre kind of way.

The fun -factor here is a kind of self-relativation with regards to the hobby itself, not the kind of "fun" she's looking for I'm afraid.

thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
I personally find any attempt to make me laugh through some game text or art usually falls flat and will stop being funny after the first time playing anyway. I find the laughter has to come from the group itself. The games most conducive to this are party games.

Exactly this! It's the same for me. The fun comes from the group itself.
We make fun, we do but it's the fun from the theme what she's looking for is what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paradox Games wrote:
Two other board games I never played but intend to be funny are The Crazy Cat Lady and Trailer Park Wars.

I remember most of those games you mentioned like Mad etc but I think that the last 2 are more up what we're looking for here. The trailer park wars is from the same place as the redneck life game.

thank you for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
douglas fost wrote:
I hate to be the one to bring this up, but Cards Against Humanity usually is good for a few laughs. (Especially if it's your first few games)

I would recommend Things... though because it lets you use your own creativity to bring out the humour.

Take care,
Douglas

Actually also very good suggestions. I played cards against humanity a few times and didn't like it very much myself.

But you're right, she's probably receptive to this kind of games that ask for your own creativity.
Not entirely up my alley but I'll have to give it a try.
We seem to have some mismatch in gaming-styles, and probably also a few other things. hehe... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenpunk wrote:
Just make sure you get the "Movie Line" version... much better than the original.
You can skip the first 1.5 minutes if you just wanna get to the game...

This also might be something that can work occasionally. thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say In a Bind is the game that mabe us laugh the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a game of Cosmic Encounter that didn't result in a whole table full of laughter, especially if you get some of the wackier powers on the table.

I do love that game on occasion but it really only works with a group, not when it's just the two of us.
Besides, as is the case with Galaxy Trucker, space-themes are not here thing. Same for "fantasy" setting. Like I said, we have more than one mismatch between us. (but we get along just fine anyway kiss)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay - here's what I have found funny (artwork or theme or game play) and fun. However, forewarning, while I like heavy/medium, I also enjoy a LOT of games that frequently get negative comments here....

Smash Up!
Loony Quest
Munchkin
Munchkin Treasure Hunt
Star Fluxx
Get Nuts
King of Toyko
Get Bit!
Camel Up!
Lemming Maffia
Frag
Gubs

Also, we tend to read the cards and make comments and enjoy the flavor / theme of the game.

We don't necessary find chaos "Funny" but enjoyable and fun like Galaxy Trucker. If that is the type of funny you are looking for or your other half is then the recommendations here are good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For party games there are quite a few....

We have had fun with Say Anything a lot as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico W.
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I still remember having a lot of laughs with Tarantel Tango.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We Didn't Playtest This At All is funny, like stupid funny
Colt Express is hilarious as you flip the cards and see what happens, like punching air when you expected another bandit to be in the same car as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.