Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My video reviews can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaTj4DQEix6MzHEo0TFx7hw

My geek list can be found here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/4970023#item49...

Conclusion:

Eldritch Horror is one of my favorite adventure games of all time. I've played Arkham Horror some, but this one is one I keep going back to. I love the scope of the game, the ability to add the painted Minis I bought from FFG, and the sense of adventure. This game comes with a lot of different characters you can play as and it really adds a different feel to the adventure. There are quite a few expansions to the game which adds a ton of replayability (if you want to pay for it).

While the mechanisms in the game are not ground breaking (let's be honest, we've all seen "roll the dice to pass a test), the game is streamlined and works great as a package. This is certainly an example of the entire package being better than the sum of its parts. The game is rather straightforward in its approach: three phases in a turn. What you do on a turn makes sense and you really know what you want to do on a turn with a glance on the board. Then, you watch your decisions unfold (with some dice rolling).

While the game may seem too simplistic, it isn't. There are plenty of cards that represent spells, weapons, curses and the like that add more character to your experience and allow you to delve deeper into the story that is unfolding (your character is bad with money and is paranoid). These curses become interesting quirks about your character and allow you to role play the game.

My largest flaw with the game is that you need to stay on task or you will lose. While this keeps the game challenging, it doesn't allow you to explore the world that much (although it keeps the play time lower than it could have been). I sometimes wish I had more time to explore those expeditions and to level up my character more.

Otherwise, this is one of my favorite game and one of those rare games I keep going back to it (with the help of the expansions). I would recommend this game for any gamer and if you are looking for an adventure game this just might hit the spot with you.

Keeper.

Components:

The components are top notch. While I wish Minis were in the box, the standees are really nice. The minis (painted!) can be purchased on Ebay or from FFG if you want them. A nice compromise. All of the chits, board, and other components are the same high quality FFG components that you would expect. All the characters have back stories and really add to the overall adventure. I love the art and the look of this game.

Rule Book:

The rule book is pretty clear. I've played Arkham Horror and a lot of FFG games, so the rule book was pretty good to me. I didn't have any huge questions while playing the game. That is a huge bonus for me!

Flow of the Game:

The game sends your character across the globe to accomplish missions in order to defeat the Great One before he is release.

On your turn you can do a few things. You can move (adjacent or spend a ticket to move more), you can grab a ticket in a city, you can buy items/weapons (requires a die roll to succeed), you can fight monsters, etc. There are a lot of things you can choose to do, but if you want to stay where you then you will do a lot of resting (if needed) and even more picking up tickets.

After you do your actions, then you have an encounter on your spot. There are a few cards for each type of locations and even some for the adventure spot on the board. These encounters normally require a test to be performed which is rolling dice and checking how many successes you have versus how many successes are required. Then good/bad things will happen based on your rolls.

Finally, the "bad" guys move and do things. This is through a flip of the mythos card. It will move things around on the board, cause harm to the adventurers, and/or add monsters to the board.

Let me speak about the flow a little. The players move first. This is your preparation round and gets you ready for the upcoming bad stuff. Then, you try to pass the encounter and finally the monsters/Great One does things to you. The turns move pretty quickly as you normally know what you are trying to do. This is normally a quest to get clues or go to mysteries. There are additional things in this game like Rare Monsters who might show up, or an expedition you want to go on.

Should I buy this game?:

Yes. This is a fun adventure game that tells a pretty good story. There is dice rolling more than strategic decision making. This is for people who want an adventure more than a hard core Euro game. It shrinks Arkham Horror and streamlines the experience. It does have a larger scope, but you better stay on mission!

Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1099 Eldritch Horror: A world trotting adventure game with a horror theme
Great review!
I agree with most of your thoughts, especially this:

william4192 wrote:
My largest flaw with the game is that you need to stay on task or you will lose. While this keeps the game challenging, it doesn't allow you to explore the world that much (although it keeps the play time lower than it could have been). I sometimes wish I had more time to explore those expeditions and to level up my character more.

So right. I was looking into the expansions and the idea of Rune exploration in Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants sounded fun...then I realised that we`re never gonna have time for that stuff, just like with the expeditions shake

I only have the base game and it`s not my favourite game by far, but I do respect it for being memorable most of the time and creating an event out of a gamenight. Last time we played an epic 4h game with 4P, we thought we lost: Doom was at 1, the board was full of gates and monsters all that...and we ended up drawing clue cards for 2 rounds so no reckoning (out of the 7 remaining Mythos card the other 5 were yellow)...certaintly memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 1099 Eldritch Horror: A world trotting adventure game with a horror theme
I like the review! Thank you very much. I just wanted to respond to this reply

mihnea_1309 wrote:

So right. I was looking into the expansions and the idea of Rune exploration in Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants sounded fun...then I realised that we`re never gonna have time for that stuff, just like with the expeditions shake

For Strange Remnants, you have to do the rune exploration for the Ancient One Syzygy, and you have the option of doing it for the associated prelude. Otherwise, those components are not in the game, so you don't have to worry about that part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim kelly
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always send someone to do the adventures, you can pick up some great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
I like the review! Thank you very much. I just wanted to respond to this reply

mihnea_1309 wrote:

For Strange Remnants, you have to do the rune exploration for the Ancient One Syzygy, and you have the option of doing it for the associated prelude. Otherwise, those components are not in the game, so you don't have to worry about that part.

I know, I wasn`t worrying about this aspect, I was actually excited by the idea! Then I realised there probably won`t be a lot of rune exploration during the game due to critical stuff happening in other places laugh

tekay44 wrote:
Always send someone to do the adventures, you can pick up some great stuff.

I agree, the artefacts, retreating Doom...very awesome. The problem is with 2-3P (like I usually play) it`s very hard to focus a character on adventuring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

When the n00bs insist on doing this, they end up with Hallucinations, Back Injuries, Amnesia, Paranoia, and the occasional Curse. Someone with a low Lore wanted to get a spell and got one -- a Glamour spell. Investigator kept failing his Lore checks every Reckoning (gee, I wonder why), lost Sanity, and slowly went Mad. Player wasn't too happy, either. Facing off against the AO's safer than visiting some of these places...!

Oh, well. Good way to make use of Jaqueline Fine. Watch someone else gain a Condition, gain a Clue token. It all works out. Thanks for the review! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Roux Van Der Vyver
msg tools
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
Good way to make use of Jaqueline Fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.