Subject: Understanding Command and Control rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Coniglio
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
I started playing the grand scenario and I'm a bit confused with regards to the French command phase. At the beginning, the French have no leader on board that would generate a command point (CP). The Russo-Prussian forces start with 3x CP's (Blucher, Yorck, Winzingerode) and I understand how to generate their CP's and create MU's from those, but how do the French move before the arrival of Ney?

Each of the 4x divisions in the III Corps is separated by some distance on the map as they were each bivouacked in a different town/village. THe divisions are not unified by the presence of the Corps Commander (Ney) and with no CP with which to generate an MU (other than the roll for the Corps Cavalry brigade) how do I bring the other divisions to the front before Ney's arrival at 2:20pm?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either (1) the French stay put until Ney arrives, or (2) you use "kedging". The latter means you use the combination of moving leaders away from their troops when the "Leader" chit is drawn, then use the "Regroup" chit to allow the now out-of-command troops to move toward their respective leader.

Some players don't allow kedging within a certain distance of the enemy. I don't mind it, but it isn't a particularly effective way of moving troops, and if the chits aren't drawn in the proper order, it can leave the kedging troops open to all sorts of enemy mischief.

The conventional wisdom in this game is to start with the French troops in the best defensive positions possible, and hang on until Ney and other reinforcements arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. Given the hindsight the French player has (they were caught completely off their guard which, of course, is not the case in the game) this is the best way to handle it. Just set them up as best you can and hope for the best until someone arrives with a CP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.