$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Zak Stoiber
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm thinking about getting this game to play with another casual gamer. We've played through the (much simpler) Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle game and this seems like a nice upgrade to something more meaty.

While we're open to a good challenge, we don't want to feel like we can't win unless we buy more cards. We'd really just like to play the base game then go through the movies for a fun, thematic, challenging experience.

I know there's an easy mode - have people enjoyed playing this? It seems like it could be ideal with what we're going for.

I also believe someone mentioned there being pre-made decks listed in the Saga expansions that don't include extra expansion cards, which would be perfect.

Would Core Set + Saga expansions be a good time for a casual player? Is easy mode a must in this case?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bothered really no "wrong" way to go about it. Your idea (core + sagas) is a good way for people to play the books. You can always add in other decks/expansions later if you feel like it.

The game can be tough. For casual players I highly recommend "easy mode."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As (too?) often stated by me on these forums I experienced the Hobbit saga expansions as quite frustrating and very difficult. So in my very personal opinion I would not recommend them if you only own the core set.

The Lord of the Rings saga expansions on the other side contain some of my favourite and most thematic quests and are highly recommended.
But I'd say you should play in easy mode because the quests can be pretty tough.
Yes, the boxes contain decklists for decks only built with a core set and the cards from the saga expansions and those decks are fine.

So in my opinion I can say go for it! You will get what you are looking for: fun, thematic, challenging experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Agree. I own all current sagas and about half of the other cycles. So far, I've found the cycles to be much harder than the sagas. That said, my gf is more of a casual gamer. So I play the sagas with her and she seems to enjoy it. I play the cycles solo, or with other folks at my FLGS. She has only seen the movies, and the sagas recreate events from them. So it's also easier for her to envision the thematic gameplay from that perspective.

It's also worth noting the saga's rule books (or pamphlets really) come with suggestions for deck builds assuming you only own the core box and the saga expansions up to that point. So for the casual player, this can offer a nice deck building starting point to meet the challenges that expansion will introduce without overwhelming you with the initial deck building decision making.

You can also play the saga's in a campaign mode. Allowing you earn boons (nice attachments or events) for use in subsequent scenarios, and burdens (treacheries you shuffle into the encounter deck or may negatively impact you at the setup stage for subsequent quests). It's fun, though the rules require that any heros that die stay dead for the rest of the campaign. This does seem to hurt the thematic elements from the casual perspective, so we just replay the saga scenarios if a hero dies having learned different tactics that might prevent that death during the next session. Cheating? Maybe. But it keeps my gf in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently played scenario with friend and quite enjoyed game.

I have question regarding sagas. Do you need to deck-build much in them? Or is it ok to play them and just add boons from previous scenario and you can continue?

I suppose I would be really happy if this could be played similar to Pathfinder - you will complete scenario, get some new cards and continue to new one. If I would have to completely rebuild decks each and every time I would not be very happy.

I know that Pathfinder does this, but issue is that I do not like Pathfinder and would be happy to have similar experience in LotR universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.