Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying my hand at creating a geeklist and I'm discovering that I've selected a rather large group of data to create a geeklist from. Apparently there are about 700+ games in this particular list.

Is there a quick way to populate the geeklist with all these games? Then I can go back and add the details I want to for each entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of a way, but I don't use GLs much.

GLs have only 25 items on a page. Even the Titles only view has only 150 per page. You might want to group them by Family or in some other way reduce the number of individual items.

I'm kind of reminded of the various top 100 lists on the web that want you to go through 100 pages to get to #1. Not happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't create Geeklists with that many items. If it's hard to create them, it's hard for users to navigate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Just don't create Geeklists with that many items. If it's hard to create them, it's hard for users to navigate them.

Quoting this for emphasis. A 700 item GeekList is something we absolutely do not need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:
Is there a quick way to populate the geeklist with all these games?

Please don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I found an even larger set of data though. I call it "all the games on BGG" ... might write a script that puts them all into a GeekList, for giggles

On a more serious note, GeekLists are great for discussion, and data analysis, and for grouping things - but indeed, with such a large group of games, you'd be much better off presenting your findings in a much smaller GeekList, and not all the games in one humongous pile. What's most interesting about GeekLists isn't what games are in it, but what is written about them. I doubt that you can write interesting things about 700 games, at least not all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwski wrote:
Is there a quick way to populate the geeklist with all these games? Then I can go back and add the details I want to for each entry.

Hmmm. Even if you could discover a method to accomplish the first part of that sentence, it seems to me you're still doomed by the enormity of second part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Wolski
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
jwski wrote:
Is there a quick way to populate the geeklist with all these games?

Please don't.

HAHA, point taken.

I especially like
Sphere wrote:
A 700 item GeekList is something we absolutely do not need.

Yeah, I hadn't realized how many entries this would take up when I contrived this scheme. That's the reason I asked about an easier way.

Sometimes the more important question is not can something be done, but whether it should be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.