Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this for the first time tonight since I was a child. I played as the Security Officer.

Enjoyed the game but couldn't help thinking that solitary was a little unfair on the Allies (even though it helped me). You can free a pawn from solitary on the roll of a double (or by using the respective Opportunity card). Trouble with that is that you don't roll doubles that often and towards the end of the game, we had so many confined to solitary that there wasn't much opportunity for the Escape Officers to collect the necessary equipment to make ready for an escape attempt.

We wondered if a house rule be instigated for this, such as, 'on your turn, you may free one POW of your nationality from solitary by foregoing all your movement points'. Of course, rolling a double would still allow a player to free a pawn for the usual cost of one movement point.

Can you foresee any problems with this? Is there a better way to handle this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Burkley
United States
Hillsborough
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a significantly different perspective: The Security Officer has a more difficult time controlling the POWs in the latest edition, since he can't block entrances and exits in the inner courtyard.

In the 1st Edition, the Security Officer could take a risk using the outside Solitary Cells at the start of the game, knowing the POWs couldn't escape until they completed an Escape Kit. Then he could be particularly nasty by arresting any POW that got out of the outside cells, since they were in the outer courtyard and subject to arrest. (Ah, the good old days, when POWs needed to produce a Pass just to get back in the castle.)devil

I do recall a few games where an Allied player had a difficult time getting doubles, but he usually got some help from another POW player with a 'Release from Solitary' card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Jonathon. In addition, our guard posted two pawns covering the courtyard end of the passage and one at the guardroom end (No, the guards were not on the "walkways"). When we did get out we were arrested again right away. I spend turns 36 to 50 with all of my POWs in solitary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it sucks some of the fun out of the game, not only for the Allies, but also for the Security Officer.

A friend and I were discussing potential solutions for this yesterday.

I wondered if there could be a separate tracker board for the SO, which worked on a turn basis - a POW can only be detained for 2 or 3 turns before being automatically being released. My friend mentioned that filling the internal solitary cells was a viable strategy to having the SO confine POWs to the outer solitary and I could see his point. Sometimes you wouldn't want to be freed from solitary, just to force other POWs being sent to the outside cells.

Another method would be automatic release when the cells are full - so, when solitary is full it would be one in, one out. Of course that messes up what my friend said about forcing the use of the outer solitary.

We discussed that a move fast card should be able to be used on a POW in solitary if a player desired. This would help mitigate the problem of guards being posted almost directly outside the cells.

The forego all movement points to release a player from solitary would work, but you can still use the double in the normal way, should they be rolled. That is, on a double roll, you can still release from solitary for 1 point, and continue with your remining movement points (including re-rolls) or if you fail to roll a double, you can release a POW, but you get no further movement for that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game today with just two of us. Having read about the solitary issue, we used a third die whenever three or more POWs were locked up. Two dice were still used for movement, but the third (different color) was used to give a greater chance of doubles. He would have been even more discouraged if his POWs were all stuck in solitary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.