Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

bought the game on the Spiel. Went through the rules yesterday and so far most of the things seem clear but the trade rules are really confusing me...

Therefore it would be really nice and helpful if someone would explain the rules described under 'Trade Agreements' in the rulebook with his own words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without knowing which part is confusing you specifically. Here's the basics.

When two races meet in adjacent sectors, they may agree to give one another a Trade Agreement card. They are free to negotiate which card is traded for which.

The point of holding a Trade Agreement card is two-fold. On your refresh phase, you will collect resources based on the symbols on any Trade Agreement cards you hold from other players. It is also a symbol of an alliance. With permission, you can pass through space lanes and systems held by your ally, whereas you otherwise cannot.

At any time, and for any reason, you may revoke a Trade Agreement. This would usually have the effect of the other player also revoking the card that you hold. You may not, however, give back a Trade Agreement card except on your turn.

Don't have the rules in front of me, so I think the above is all correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You may give or receive a trade agreement IF you have a ship or control node adjacent to or in the same sector as one of their ships or control nodes. Once you have given an agreement, you may revoke it or exchange it for another one of your agreements at any time. The only way you can give a rival's agreement back to them is by attacking them, but just like you, they are free to revoke their own at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
You may not, however, give back a Trade Agreement card except on your turn by attacking them.

Minor correction to the above. Otherwise, I believe both of them have explained it correctly.

Beyond the basics, if you have to give back a trade agreement because you just attacked that person, you have the option of getting it back as soon as combat is over. Won't happen often, but the other player isn't restricted from handing it back to you.

And Romulans always exhaust any new trade agreement they hold, so they get nothing from it during their first refresh phase. (And if you exchange it for a different agreement--say, taking back the two and giving them a three instead--that new card is again exhausted for one turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A R
msg tools
First Contact is not a requirement for a Trade Agreement.

This came up when GF9 Rep ruled that the Q encounter would allow rivals to establish Trade Agreements. It would take me some time....but I will try to find the thread.

However, 99 times out of 100, Rivals will have made First Contact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GreenMan2814 wrote:
First Contact is not a requirement for a Trade Agreement.

This came up when GF9 Rep ruled that the Q encounter would allow rivals to establish Trade Agreements. It would take me some time....but I will try to find the thread.

However, 99 times out of 100, Rivals will have made First Contact.

Yup, you're right. First contact is just required before you have the option to bid in the initiative phase. I edited my post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for all the replies...

Before discussing further how to revoke or betrayal I first need to understand how to give and/or retrieve an agreement. This is for me the part that I don't get. So do I need to negotiate for an agreement? Is it always an exchange? And so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes--its optional which agreements are exchanged. For example, the Romulans may argue for an advantageous exchange because they have to wait a turn to activate theirs due to their control board weakness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:
Many thanks for all the replies...

Before discussing further how to revoke or betrayal I first need to understand how to give and/or retrieve an agreement. This is for me the part that I don't get. So do I need to negotiate for an agreement? Is it always an exchange? And so on...

It does not have to be an equal exchange...or even an exchange at all. You can, for instance, threaten a rival with a buildup of force and then demand that they give you and agreement without you giving one in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
The wording in the rule book is odd, which I think causes the confusion. The way they end the paragraph on "in order to give one back you'll have to betray them", leading into another section on betrayal makes it sound super important, when it isn't really. It's incredibly rare that someone wouldn't take their agreement back when they had there's taken. Maybe if they thought the third player was running away with it and it would be better for the game.

Although I did think of another question; if an agreement is needed to pass through their space, and you don't already have one, could the pause in movement where you're supposed to ask permission to travel through be an opportunity to exchange one? I suspect not, as technically you're 'at warp' and wouldn't be able to do any negotiating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
Although I did think of another question; if an agreement is needed to pass through their space, and you don't already have one, could the pause in movement where you're supposed to ask permission to travel through be an opportunity to exchange one? I suspect not, as technically you're 'at warp' and wouldn't be able to do any negotiating.

When moving at impulse, I would say you'd have to end movement, make a trade deal, then use another command to move again. It's not specifically stated in the rules, but it makes sense that you cannot be considered "adjacent or in the same sector" until the move is finished.

When moving at warp there is no question. Your ship is not on the board until it exits warp and you place it where your movement will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can only ask for permission to enter a system if you hold their trade agreement, otherwise entry is refused automatically.

as you exit warp, you have to say how your ships travel ie which spacelanes and systems they move through from their starting point, and if they dont have/receive permission to enter a given system/sector, they must stop in the sector just before the one they cannot enter.

so whether moving with impulse or at warp, you have to stop first to setup trade before you can ask permission/be allowed to enter a rival's system.

asking permission to enter a given rival's sector can be done at any point in your move and doesnt stop the movement unless its denied.

note also that permission is denied/given per each situation, you could perfectly fly with your ship at warp through a rival's space, being given permission to enter the first 2 systems but be denied entry to a 3rd system thus stopping your move just outside that 3rd system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just want to point out that a rival control node is not enough to block movement. Movement is only blocked by rival ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angelsenior's point is a good one; you can trap someone's adventuresome starship that way. What confused me about trade agreements is that the phrasing in the rule book makes it seem like a true agreement - if one side breaks it, it is completely broken. However, it seems like the phrase Trade Agreement only applies to a single card. Therefore, the Romulan's (received) card is exhausted initially but not the card they trade away. Also, the Romulan advancement that permits exhausting that card doesn't boomerang and exhaust the one the Romulan holds.
And thanks to all for clarifying the "revoked" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So if I am a Klingon that has given a trade agreement to the Romulans, if I choose to revoke the agreement on my turn, do I physically take back the Klingon agreement that the Romulan player is holding?

In another scenario, I the Klingon hold a Romulan trade agreement and he holds one of mine. I break the agreement by attacking the Romulans. So then do I immediately hand back the Romulan agreement I am holding? And what happens the Romulan player who is still holding my Agreement? Does he still keep it and get its rewards during the refresh phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
candoo wrote:
So if I am a Klingon that has given a trade agreement to the Romulans, if I choose to revoke the agreement on my turn, do I physically take back the Klingon agreement that the Romulan player is holding?

Yes. It doesn't even have to be your turn to revoke or exchange one of your agreements for another.

Quote:
In another scenario, I the Klingon hold a Romulan trade agreement and he holds one of mine. I break the agreement by attacking the Romulans. So then do I immediately hand back the Romulan agreement I am holding?

Yes.

Quote:
And what happens the Romulan player who is still holding my Agreement? Does he still keep it and get its rewards during the refresh phase?

Unless you revoke it, yes....but why wouldn't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dvonn Yinsh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.