Hide
14 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Nexu Mortar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Something
msg tools
The Mortar 3xp card from the Armored Assault deck says it can be used by imperial figures. Can neutral figures under imperial control in a campaign use it? Does this include non-sentient figures such as a nexu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutral figures under Imperial control makes little sense. Could you give an example?

Neutral figures are usually neither Rebel nor Imperial, but I can't think of how such a figure could be under Imperial control.

Mercenary figures are considered Imperial figures if that's what you meant (look up Imperial Figure section of RRG).

Non-Sentient only stops a figure interacting. So that wouldn't stop this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I definitely think they should have excluded non-sentient figures from this. I intend to house rule this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's wrong with having Nexu with fricking Mortar cannons attached to their heads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Young
msg tools
mbmb
It's not that the unit is carrying a mortar - mortars are very long range, it wouldn't make sense to launch them at 3 spaces of distance. I think the idea is that the unit is calling in a mortar strike near their position. So in that case, they might have sensors or cameras attached to the Nexu that could be used to aim a mortar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the OP was referring to Mercenary figures when he said neutral figures. I don't have the RRG in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that it mentions that in a campaign, all figures controlled by the imperial play are considered imperial figures. This includes mercenaries.

So yes, the Nexu can use the mortar. Technically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Clipper and RRG say:
RRG, Imperial Figures wrote:
During a campaign, all figures belonging to the Imperial player are Imperial figures. This includes all Deployment cards with an mb or mb icon.

There are some abilities that refer to figures with these symbols, in which case the ability refers to imperial or mercenary affiliation symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Rule-wise, it works.

Theme-wise: It does sound strange, but you'd be surprised what people do with animals in warfare in the real world (most famously, the bat bombs in wwII https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Something
msg tools
In case I didn't make this clear enough, in a campaign, "neutral" figures that the imperials deploy count as imperial figures for most purposes. I wasn't sure whether that would apply to the situation, and to non-sentient figures.

Also, thematically a nexu using it doesn't make as much sense, but this card is already pretty weird thematically.

1. If it's long-range mortar being called down by people, why can it be used inside?

2. If it's short range, why can only one figure use it per turn?

3. If there's only one mortar being shared by the whole team, how is it transported from one end of the map to the other so quickly? Why can't anything else be transported that way?

4. If each figure has a mortar, why can't everyone use them separately?

And on slightly related topics,

1. How does experience make sense in a campaign? Everyone who was on the previous mission DIED.

2. For cards like Reactive Armor, is it just one set?

3. If yes, how can it fit both a probe droid AND AN AT-ST?

4. If no, why can't I have multiple sets in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think we are over-thinking it at this point. Rules and theme don't always work together in harmony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Young
msg tools
mbmb
ben720 wrote:
In case I didn't make this clear enough, in a campaign, "neutral" figures that the imperials deploy count as imperial figures for most purposes. I wasn't sure whether that would apply to the situation, and to non-sentient figures.

Also, thematically a nexu using it doesn't make as much sense, but this card is already pretty weird thematically.

1. If it's long-range mortar being called down by people, why can it be used inside?

2. If it's short range, why can only one figure use it per turn?

3. If there's only one mortar being shared by the whole team, how is it transported from one end of the map to the other so quickly? Why can't anything else be transported that way?

4. If each figure has a mortar, why can't everyone use them separately?

And on slightly related topics,

1. How does experience make sense in a campaign? Everyone who was on the previous mission DIED.

2. For cards like Reactive Armor, is it just one set?

3. If yes, how can it fit both a probe droid AND AN AT-ST?

4. If no, why can't I have multiple sets in play?

1-4. It's a long range mortar, and it can be used inside because... it's a guided projectile? whistle

Second set:
1. Not everyone dies - heroes are wounded or withdrawn. Imperial units are often killed but their leaders (and any survivors) get more experienced.

2-4. It's a technology that the Empire has discovered, and they have applied it to various units. You can't have multiple sets in play because of budget constraints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ben720 wrote:
In case I didn't make this clear enough, in a campaign, "neutral" figures that the imperials deploy count as imperial figures for most purposes.

As was said before: Try to use the correct terms for game related stuff.
A neutral figure is neither hostile to either side, but mercenary figures are considered Imperial during the campaign (but are still subject to special restrictions sometimes).

And for your theme vs ruled questions:
The mortars are basically detonators that are beamed there with a module from the star trek universe and all units are equipped with a camera that sends out a small shock when the bomb is beamed into the fray to protect the wearer from secondary beaming damage and then the transporter needs to reload till the next round.

Or short: Rules win over theme! Always. Every game is abstract at its core.

Or go with Midi... No sorry, can't say that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ben720 wrote:

Neutral... You keep using that word; I do not think it means what you think it means.

Neutral figures is a term used for campaign figures that are usually specific to the mission and on neither players side. Tokens are often used to represent them and they will be the object of the mission. The mission rules will tell you how each player is able to manipulate them. A Neutral figure is never an Imperial figure.

We think what you are trying to refer to is instead figures with the Mercenary affiliation. These are the cards with the green logo on their backs. There are three affiliations, Rebel, Imperial and Mercenary.

If we look under the "imperial Figures" definition in the RRG, we see the following text:

RRG - Imperial Figures wrote:
During a campaign, all figures belonging to the Imperial player
are Imperial figures. This includes all Deployment cards with an
{Imperial} or {Mercenary} icon.

Thus, in the Campaign, all figures with the Mercenary affiliation can be affected by cards that refer to Imperial figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.