Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Escape from Colditz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions 2016 version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re-rolling doubles. It is clear enough for the Escape Officers movement but what about other circumstances? Does it apply to the guards?
1. German Movement?
2. German Shoot to Kill Range?
3. German General Search after Appel Range?

Arresting POWs. Guards cannot arrest in or enter blue safe spots or appel or red equipment rooms unless escape attempt in progress.
1. Are POWs in rooms liable for arrest in an Appel general search?
2. What happens when a guard enters a room after an escape and removes the escape token? He's then in an illegal position.

For experienced Colditzers these are probably ancient and long settled matters but I haven't found concise answers in either the old or new rules.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TharkWarrior wrote:
Re-rolling doubles ... Does it apply to the guards?
1. German Movement?
2. German Shoot to Kill Range?
3. German General Search after Appel Range?
Note that the "Movement" rules are written to cover both POWs & Germans. So doubles do give a re-roll for the Germans for movement. And as far as I can tell, yes it applies to any cards too (though there was another thread discussing how many re-rolls you may be allowed for the Staff Car). I believe the only part of the "Movement" rules that is specific to the POWs is that they can also release a POW from solitary on a double.
Rules, pg 7 wrote:
If you roll doubles on any dice roll, be it for movement or due to a card, you may roll again adding the extra dice to your total. You may never roll more than two extra times due to rolling doubles.
...
The Security Officer moves Guards in the same way that Escape Officers move POWs...


TharkWarrior wrote:
Arresting POWs. Guards cannot arrest in or enter blue safe spots or appel or red equipment rooms unless escape attempt in progress.
1. Are POWs in rooms liable for arrest in an Appel general search?
Rooms are not listed in the places "a POW cannot be arrested", so I'd say yes.
Rules, pg 11 wrote:
A POW can be arrested if:
– Their Escape Officer is holding Escape Equipment, or
– They are outside the inner courtyard, or
– They end their movement on a guard post, or
– They are ignoring an ‘Appel’ card.
A POW cannot be arrested in a safe area, on the appel area, in a tunnel which has not been discovered, or if returning promptly from the outer solitary cells without Equipment.


TharkWarrior wrote:
2. What happens when a guard enters a room after an escape and removes the escape token? He's then in an illegal position.
He has to decide whether to pursue or return to the Commander's office...
Rules, pg 10 wrote:
Guards may not remain in a room after they remove a marker – they must move down the drop, or go directly to the Commander’s office.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications. We have been following the same interpretation but had started to question the doubling rule since it was NOT re-iterated in guard section or other places were dice rolling is specified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Question:

What's to stop the German player posting Guards at both ends of the passage that the two solitaries exit into, blocking POWs from exiting the passage and allowing them to be re-arrested on the next guard turn?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TharkWarrior wrote:
What's to stop the German player posting Guards at both ends of the passage that the two solitaries exit into, blocking POWs from exiting the passage and allowing them to be re-arrested on the next guard turn?

I think that's allowed by the rules. In fact, I've used similar tactics to block rooms (to make it harder to acquire specific escape equipment when it was clear what the POWs were trying to get).

It looks like it could really hurt the POWs chances of winning.

Of course, the walkways are positioned so that you can't easily block areas with single guards, so it takes multiple guards to achieve this kind of thing, which ties them up from being used elsewhere, and takes more movement points to get them all into position.

Meanwhile, if the POWs notice you trying to block an area, they could sacrifice one of their number by running into you & making a hole that other POWs can break through before you plug the gap. Admittedly that's more difficult with the solitary situation since you need doubles to escape. But don't forget that POWs could do the same from the outside, perhaps even from other nationalities, since they won't want to be stuck inside if caught either.

And there are cards that can help, to remove a guard from the board, or release a POW from solitary.

I'm not sure if that would be enough to counter the strategy though... I'm not sure if I'm missing some other obvious moves that could be used. Maybe give it a try & let us know how it turns out.

If it got so bad that those cells became full, any other POWs would have to be placed in the outer solitary, so that might be a last chance for them... to break out of there instead. But it might be too late by then!

EDIT: One other suggestion, if it turns out to be a major issue spoiling the game, perhaps unofficially make those 2 spaces with red crosses at the bottom right of your picture part of the "walkways", so guards can't end their turn on them either. So then you would require a total of 6 guards to completely block the solitary exits.

Failing that, as the POWs, don't get caught!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TharkWarrior wrote:
New Question:

What's to stop the German player posting Guards at both ends of the passage that the two solitaries exit into, blocking POWs from exiting the passage and allowing them to be re-arrested on the next guard turn?

As per the rules ...

The Guards
45. Guards cannot block entrances to rooms and must
not impede the movement of POWs inside the grey
prison courtyard area by remaining in doorways or
passages
between turns.

... This area is included in the "Inner Courtyard" map in the
rules. You could maybe place one guard where the two X's are,
but no blocking is allowed ... Walts
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:
As per the rules ...

The Guards
45. Guards cannot block entrances to rooms and must
not impede the movement of POWs inside the grey
prison courtyard area by remaining in doorways or
passages
between turns.

... This area is included in the "Inner Courtyard" map in the
rules. You could maybe place one guard where the two X's are,
but no blocking is allowed ... Walts

Interesting. I don't think there's any equivalent to that part in the new rules...? I assume that original rule is in addition to the more strictly written "no guard may end on a walkway"?

One other thought I had... the POWs could use the fast move opportunity cards to immediately warp out of the trapped area after rolling a double to escape solitary.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
Gorlab wrote:
As per the rules ...

The Guards
45. Guards cannot block entrances to rooms and must
not impede the movement of POWs inside the grey
prison courtyard area by remaining in doorways or
passages
between turns.

... This area is included in the "Inner Courtyard" map in the
rules. You could maybe place one guard where the two X's are,
but no blocking is allowed ... Walts

Interesting. I don't think there's any equivalent to that part in the new rules...? I assume that original rule is in addition to the more strictly written "no guard may end on a walkway"?


There was no concept of a walkway in the "original" rules (they aren't actually the original rules, but the Gibson rules which were revised from the original Parker edition) only the rules quoted by Walts. It seems that the restrictions on blocking by guards have been reduced in this version.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
There was no concept of a walkway in the "original" rules (they aren't actually the original rules, but the Gibson rules which were revised from the original Parker edition) only the rules quoted by Walts. It seems that the restrictions on blocking by guards have been reduced in this version.

Ah, so the walkways are an attempt to make the "no blocking" rule more obvious/visible on the board. But in doing so, they've actually made blocking possible, but only if you use enough guards.

Not sure where that leaves us with the Solitary-blocking situation then, unless we go by the quoted rule 45 (either in addition, or instead of the walkways).

EDIT: I do actually much prefer the walkway concept to that quoted rule though (if there were no walkways on the board). I'm not sure how you'd remember to check/enforce it in some situations. If you're a guard chasing a POW down a 1-space wide passageway, are you "blocking" it by ending your move there? The walkways make it clear exactly which spaces you must avoid ending on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The older rule though non-specific does cover this while the new walkway rule allows blocking the solitary exit if you commit 3 guards.

In general the walkway rule works but the specific case of both solitaries exiting onto the same narrow passage seems broken. As POWs we coordinated teams and used every card and double to try and liberate our POWs. The best we could do was spring one guy and get another trapped in the guardhouse. The rest of the pawns, 10 of them, stay in jail from about turn 30 to the end of the game.

I'm leaning towards adopting the old rule or trying some new options:

Guards cannot end their move adjacent to another guard.
or
Moving the solitary exit point.
or
POWs exiting solitary are placed in the Appel.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TharkWarrior wrote:
I'm leaning towards adopting the old rule or trying some new options:

Guards cannot end their move adjacent to another guard.
or
Moving the solitary exit point.
or
POWs exiting solitary are placed in the Appel.

Good ideas.

If the only problem area is the solitary exit, I'd probably avoid changing more general rules, such as restricting adjacent guards, although I see how that could work in a clumsy way.

Moving the exit could work better, although you'd still have the walkways restricting the guards at the old exit unnecessarily. So perhaps add a 2nd exit (keeping the original), and the exiting POW can choose which one to use?
EDIT: wondering which space would work... need to look at the map!

Placing POWs back into the appel area could also work, though it does allow a lot of freedom/movement for a single pip of movement. Perhaps you can only do that if you roll a double & sacrifice the use of the dice roll (and don't roll again). Or you can simply spend one movement point and exit as usual if you're not blocked in & prefer that option.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing the Blocking/Walkways discussion...
Now that I know that walkways are a recent addition to the game, we've been wondering if the white circles adjacent to the '30'/'60' drops are intended to count as walkways too, preventing guards standing there at the end of their movement? I guess not, but they are drawn with the same thick outlines as the black circles, and by their nature (as single-space exit points) could easily be blocked by a single guard.

We also noticed that the Safe Area next to the Showers & the one next to the Guard House can both be blocked by a single guard. Not a massive problem, but if POWs are outnumbered due to being killed/locked in solitary, this can give them more headaches (they'd probably have to use a fast move card or something to get out).

I believe all the other safe areas need at least 2 guards. And you can block POWs in certain rooms which have only 1 exit, although obviously they could get out by various other means (making equipment, escape through window, etc.) not available to POWs similarly trapped in solitary.


Staff Car
- Can the two Staff Car spaces be moved through (or ended on by the POWs), even if you're not playing the appropriate card? The rules simply say "This can only be used with the matching Opportunity card". The spaces have the black "walkway" outlines, so guards can't end on them, but that started us thinking about it.

- Presumably you still need an Escape Kit if you escape using the car?

- If you play the Staff Car opportunity card, we weren't sure whether to count movement from the back of the car if that's the space you get in (not sure how you drive from that position!)

- Since there's no mention in the rules/cards, we don't think it's possible to move two POWs to both spaces in the car & then play the card & drive out together? (and share an Escape Kit)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TharkWarrior wrote:
New Question:

What's to stop the German player posting Guards at both ends of the passage that the two solitaries exit into, blocking POWs from exiting the passage and allowing them to be re-arrested on the next guard turn?


Actually, this is not allowed by the rules:-
Quote:
The only exception to this rule are POWs who have been released from the outer solitary cells – if their Escape Officer has no equipment, and uses as much of their movement as possible to move the POWs towards the inner courtyard, those POWs are exempt from arrest.


If the German player does that blocking move and the POWs move as far as they are able to towards the inner courtyard then the German can't arrest them unless they are holding escape equipment.


In the spirit/theme of the game: why would the guard completely block the prisoners from returning to the compound from solitary? Being a bit sensible, not being able to block corridors should extend beyond the end of the corridor.

Edit I'm an idiot - ignore this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Actually, this is not allowed by the rules:-
Quote:
The only exception to this rule are POWs who have been released from the outer solitary cells – if their Escape Officer has no equipment, and uses as much of their movement as possible to move the POWs towards the inner courtyard, those POWs are exempt from arrest.


If the German player does that blocking move and the POWs move as far as they are able to towards the inner courtyard then the German can't arrest them unless they are holding escape equipment.

That part of the rules is aimed at POWs exiting the "outer" solitary & trying to re-enter the inner courtyard (making an exception to the usual rule which would allow them to be arrested even without any Escape Equipment).

But the diagram that TharkWarrior posted shows how 3 guards can block the exits from the "inner" solitary. Any POWs leaving there are already in the inner courtyard, and are eligible to be immediately re-arrested if that player has any Escape Equipment... leading to the problem that was discussed, if the guards are placed as per the diagram.

But yeah, I agree with you about the spirit/theme of the game. It's a shame the "walkways" implementation still allows for that kind of exploitation, as I think it's much neater to have definitive places marked on the board so that everyone is aware the guards can't block those spaces.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pudsy wrote:
But yeah, I agree with you about the spirit/theme of the game. It's a shame the "walkways" implementation still allows for that kind of exploitation, as I think it's much neater to have definitive places marked on the board so that everyone is aware the guards can't block those spaces.


Yup, I are a idiot.

Interestingly, in the new version, technically a guard can sit in the corridor leading down to the sickbay, in between the circled space outside the parcel office and the circled space outside the safe area, or similarly between the safe area and sickbay or the sickbay and the office. Whereas in the original rules, under rule 45, this wouldn't be allowed, I don't think.

Quote:
45. Guards cannot block entrances to rooms and must not impede the movement of POWs inside the grey prison courtyard area by remaining in doorways or passages between turns


This seems pretty explicit, to me, but I can see why the visual aid has been added to the board. I'd be intrigued to find out from someone at Osprey if this has been deliberately changed, or whether that whole corridor should be marked with circles, similarly the outer corridor leading to the laundry (though, technically, you could still exit through the dentist area). It wasn't mentioned in the rules-changes video, and seems to be a pretty major change, to me (esp as the person in my group who will probably be playing the Germans is a complete git and will think about blocking corridors, like this).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I agree. When I read the rules and we had the first play thru I thought the walkways were a fine solution to the old rather vague rule. My opinion has changed.

I honestly think this needs a fix. Disallowing it as contrary to the spirit of the game is not going to cut it with most players. I'd rather not change the board or the walkway rule so I think we'll try guards not being allowed to end their move adjacent.

"Spread out you lot! No Bunching up!"

The more I look at the map the more I wonder if the walkway rules were actually tested. As you point out MadHalf the Post Office corridor can still be blocked by one guard.
The whole PO/Sick Bay/Chapel wing can be blocked by three;
The Laundry/WC/Dentist also three;
The Kitchen => Stores with five.

So. If the German commits 8 guards to block the Chapel wing and Kitchen wing, he can deny the POWs both sources of rope, cutters, chocolate sauce, and maps. And (unless playing 2 players) still have 3 left to bottle up solitary.

*drops mike. leaves stage*

3 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to hear from Osprey on the thinking behind the walkway rules, and whether we're missing something whereby the guards can't actually block the POWs in solitary/rooms/safe areas in this way, or the POWs have some counter to it we're not seeing.
Anyone out there reading this?

I really don't want it to spoil the game (which is otherwise amazingly produced!), so will definitely be interested in hearing your experiences/experiments in attempting to solve the issue.

I was considering trying some of Thark's earlier suggestions RE: solitary (probably add a choice of 2nd exit from solitary, on the space just between the brown pawn & the cells in that image, in line with the white arrows). But if there are so many other places on the board that can be similarly blocked, I don't suppose a small tweak for Solitary will make much difference.

I guess it's possible (though unlikely) we're overlooking something...

There were a couple of changes to card quantities I noted in another thread: two more Escape Kit (part) cards, one more each of Tunnel Detected & Shoot to Kill. So I guess they almost cancel out, or at worst move the balance in favour of the guards! (especially if playing where the POWs start with Escape Kits anyway)

I expect some of the card text is changed too. I don't know if there's anything there which helps the POWs which we've missed?

Perhaps the cards (8x Move Fast, 2x Diversion, 5x Release From Solitary) and/or POW sacrifices (moving onto guards to make a hole) are enough to bypass blocks? Although pawn sacrifices won't help as much if you're trapped in solitary, since that's where you'll keep ending up! Also bear in mind that once you break through any block into a room, you warp back to the Appel area after making the equipment (or use rope & a window!), so you don't have to break a block on the way out.

Otherwise, we've got the suggestion "guards can't end their turn adjacent to each other", which sounds like it's at least worth trying.

I'll post back if I think up any other possible tweaks to try.

Or failing that, we'll probably have to revert to some variation on the original "no blocking" rule (either instead of, or in addition to the walkways).

EDIT: Oh and in the meantime, given this blocking issue, I'm definitely gonna play that the white circles at the bottom of the rope drops are also counted as "walkways", since they can easily be blocked by 1 guard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an "as I understand/interpret it" reply, so don't take it as gospel/correct-in-any-way/not-a-pile-of-pangolin-vomit

The more I think about it, the more I think there was an attempt to make a previous, possibly slightly vague, verbal rule more visual, using the "bold" circles, that hasn't quite worked. The original rule, though needing to be interpreted, did actually cover edge-cases, such as those 2 guards blocking the exit from solitary, whereas visually representing this is more difficult. Technically, you need to add 2 differently highlighted spaces at the end of the solitary exit and then say "guards can't occupy both of these". Then also do the same with another ring around them, also stipulating there has to be a path out. I suspect that the board illustrator has taken the statement that guards can't block exits from rooms a little literally and not taken the broader implication - that you can't block corridors - and so (aside from the 2-side-by-side blocking case) the "bold" circles have just been put outside rooms, rather than being extended up the corridor.

Ah, the joys of writing game rules in a simple, intuitive manner, hehehe - I don't envy those who have to do this task.

Of course, the whole intention of the rule could have changed, in which case, as you mention Pudsy, I'm also intrigued to know what mitigates this. One thing, IIRC, that was mentioned on the Ludology podcast: when interpreting the "letter" of a rule, it's just as important (although often difficult to actually find out) what the intention of the designer was, when they wrote that rule, as well as what the rule actually explicitly states.

Also, that's an interesting question about the rope spaces - I'm with ouy on that, esp as when you look at them they seem to be outside of the "flow" of the rest of the board spaces around them. The same also applies to the tunnel exit spots. Possibly a general rule-of-thumb is "unless specifically stated, unless it's a black-bordered circle, guards can't go onto it".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been many years since I last played it, and haven't tried out the new rules at all, but could a solution be to allow POW's to move through guards? A Pow would still be allowed to run into a guard to be arrested voluntarily, but could choose not to do so. A POW obviously could not finish his move on the same space as a guard. Moving through a guard should probably cost more movement, perhaps one, two or three more spaces, so the guard slows down the POW if the POW moves through his space (maybe the POW is sneaking past the guard, waiting until he is distracted etc). The original rules didn't want guards blocking corridors and passageways, and this change would ensure it didn't happen.

If there are situations where the original/new game wants guards to be able to block locations, then just rule that in those particular situations the guard do block (maybe the guards are being extra vigilant?). I can't remember if there were such occurances, but that would sort it if there were.

So, the proposed rule change would be:

1. POW can move through a guard, at the extra cost of 'x' movement.
2. A POW moving onto a guard space can choose to be arrested if they wish (insult the guard etc!).
3. A POW cannot finish its turn on the space of a guard.
4. In situations 'x', 'y' and 'z' a guard is considered to be blocking his space and a POW cannot move through him, but must move around him.

EDIT: just had a look at the map and seen that to move around another pawn, from one side to the other, takes three movement points. Given that, it would seem that the extra cost for moving over another pawn should be an extra +1. So moving over another pawn would cost 1 to move into their space plus another 1 becuase the space is occupied by a pawn, and then a third to move into another space. So 3 movement all told, which is exactly what it would have cost to move around the pawn.

As to situations where guards could deliberately block routes for prisoners, the original rules allowed it outside of the grey prison courtyard. The new rules allow it in some spaces within the inner courtyard - a few spaces in the corridor with the parcel office and the sick bay, along with the doorway to the south that leads into the dentist, wc and laundry. I don't know why they decided these could be blocked, but I would probably go with the original rules that guards shouldn't be blocking these inner courtyard locations, so allow pawns to move over each other even in that corridor and doorway. The new rules also use walkways in the outer courtyard adjacent to to the main gate and outside the safe area. I reckon i would probably keep the original rules allowing blocking (i.e. in the outer courtyard you cannot move through another pawn - the guards are more vigilant in the outercourtyard where POWs are not supposed to be), but also keep the new rules walkway spaces.

So my proposed new rules would be:
1. POW in the inner courtyard can move through a guard, at the extra cost of +1 movement. They cannot move through a guard in the outer courtyard.
2. A POW moving onto a guard space can choose to be arrested if they wish (insult the guard etc!).
3. A POW cannot finish its turn on the space of a guard.
4. Walkways still work as normal i.e. they prevent a guard from ending their turn there.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
This is an "as I understand/interpret it" reply, so don't take it as gospel/correct-in-any-way/not-a-pile-of-pangolin-vomit

The more I think about it, the more I think there was an attempt to make a previous, possibly slightly vague, verbal rule more visual, using the "bold" circles, that hasn't quite worked. The original rule, though needing to be interpreted, did actually cover edge-cases, such as those 2 guards blocking the exit from solitary, whereas visually representing this is more difficult. Technically, you need to add 2 differently highlighted spaces at the end of the solitary exit and then say "guards can't occupy both of these". Then also do the same with another ring around them, also stipulating there has to be a path out. I suspect that the board illustrator has taken the statement that guards can't block exits from rooms a little literally and not taken the broader implication - that you can't block corridors - and so (aside from the 2-side-by-side blocking case) the "bold" circles have just been put outside rooms, rather than being extended up the corridor.

Ah, the joys of writing game rules in a simple, intuitive manner, hehehe - I don't envy those who have to do this task.

Of course, the whole intention of the rule could have changed, in which case, as you mention Pudsy, I'm also intrigued to know what mitigates this. One thing, IIRC, that was mentioned on the Ludology podcast: when interpreting the "letter" of a rule, it's just as important (although often difficult to actually find out) what the intention of the designer was, when they wrote that rule, as well as what the rule actually explicitly states.

Also, that's an interesting question about the rope spaces - I'm with ouy on that, esp as when you look at them they seem to be outside of the "flow" of the rest of the board spaces around them. The same also applies to the tunnel exit spots. Possibly a general rule-of-thumb is "unless specifically stated, unless it's a black-bordered circle, guards can't go onto it".


Another thought on this: as the Escape Officers start off with an escape kit each - presumably to speed up the start of the game so they can concentrate on getting escape equipment and actually escaping rather than all having to grind out also getting the kit (which is a great idea and a good bit of streamlining) - allowing an amount of corridor blocking could be a balancing mechanism to make getting the 2nd escape kit (potentially) a bit more difficult. Ofc you can always removing the block by sacrificing a POW to remove the guard. Though I'd still house-rule that the solitary exit can't be blocked, as that is a bit of a harsh tactic as a clock-runner by the guards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorwerth wrote:
So my proposed new rules would be:
1. POW in the inner courtyard can move through a guard, at the extra cost of +1 movement. They cannot move through a guard in the outer courtyard.
2. A POW moving onto a guard space can choose to be arrested if they wish (insult the guard etc!).
3. A POW cannot finish its turn on the space of a guard.
4. Walkways still work as normal i.e. they prevent a guard from ending their turn there.

Thanks, I like this idea. It neatly removes "blocking" as an issue, not by saying to the Germans "you can't block the POWs", but instead by saying it doesn't matter if you do. The POWs are still inconvenienced by your presence, but no more so than if they had to walk around a single pawn. And the walkways still serve a purpose in keeping guards away from some vital areas.
(EDIT: Even if the guards made a big mob in a tight part of the map, the POWs could get through them all if they roll enough pips)

It feels like it would be slightly less cumbersome than the "guards can't end adjacent to each other" suggestion (which would require more care throughout the entire game, and could easily be forgotten/mistakes made). With this tweak, you only need to remember the extra rule at the point where the POWs want to get past the guards. Having said that, it may be good to try both ways and see which works best.

I'm still inclined to give the walkways a bit more of a chance too, but I think either of those suggestions will be nice & easy to try if blocking is spoiling things for anyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making guards leave a gap or allowing POWs to hop over guards both achieve the same thing as far as I can see. The intent of the rule as far as I can tell is that the guards chase and capture the POWs on the guard turn and don't actively interfere with them on the POW turns.

Except for blocking, why would you need to put two guards side by side?
If you allow guards side by side but are allowed to hop over, how many guards in a row are you allowed to hop over?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. So the POWs are unimpeded on their turns. I think either solution will work equally well.

"No adjacent guards" just means the German player has to be careful to avoid it by accident really. But I think the situations where guards would be so close together are rare, since you'd usually be aiming for wider coverage.

I think if allowing POWs to pass through guards for +1 movement points, I'd allow them to pass through any number at once, so long as they pay the cost per guard/space. Then it wouldn't even matter if the guards got bunched up for whatever reason. But again, it'd be unusual for them to be bunched up in the first place... knowing that the POWs can simply bypass them, there's no reason to do so.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem I see with the no guards adjacent variant is that it doesn't deal with guards being able to block the corridor with the parcel office and the sick bay, nor with blocking the doorway to the south that leads into the dentist, wc and laundry. The new rules allow these two areas to be blocked, though I don't know if it was a deliberate change, as the original rules defintely outlawed it. Unless I can find a good reason why that corridor and the doorway should be allowed to be blocked, I view the new rules in this regard as a change in the wrong direction, or a mistake, and unfortunately the no guards adjacent doesn't help deal with it.

In addition, the original rules did allow blocking in the outer courtyard, so if you were to use the no guard adjacent variant then I would make that apply only in the inner courtyard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The access to the three sides of the courtyard where you get items require more than one guard to block the all the entrances. Either the no adjacent guards or hop over guards variant would still allow POWs to access them it.

The Post office hall way specifically is still a problem though you can't block the Chapel entrance with just one Guard.
.

Under the RAW you can block all sources of rope, cutters, food and papers ( half the kit) AND blockade the exit from solitary with 11 guards. Not much fun for the POWs when you're continuously thrown in jail and can't get gear.

I think we will just play with the old "no blocking" rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.