$30.00
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next match up in the Death Match series is between two literal heavy weights in Mage Knight Board Game and Dominant Species.

In the red corner weighing in at 4.18 and rated #13 Mage Knight Board Game.

And in the blue corner weighing 4.03 and rated #35 Dominant Species.

Again vote in the poll below and then give you reason for the winner for bonus points.

Keep in clean and come out punching!

LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Poll
Who wins Death Match #2 - Mage Knight Board Game vs. Dominant Species?
Mage Knight Board Game
Dominant Species
      107 answers
Poll created by Meiere01

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight's theme comes out more strongly in the components/execution.

It is also far more teachable to new players, and requires much less player knowledge as a 'crutch.' With Dominant species neophyte players can wildly upset the balance and inadvertently 'tank' the game. This wouldn't be so bad if it had a shorter play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Joe says...Be nice today!
mbmbmbmbmb
No contest, Mage Knight takes this. The theme makes this one of the most immersive experience in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty much a tie for me. Similar run time and game weight, but completely different experiences. Well worth owning both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Pretty much a tie for me. Similar run time and game weight, but completely different experiences. Well worth owning both!

No ties!!! shake it's a death match, who survives???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something generally regarded as a solo game for all the rules and play vs the 6 player monster? (This result will be more which crowd is larger and more present right now, they don't have enough in common)

No contest dominant species, with all its nastiness takes it. The rules aren't a problem in dominant species, they are dead simple. Play us just emergent (highly), like all good games. A lite rules overhead and simple framework is what makes dominant species great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like either of them equally. I wanna vote for a third party candidate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
Something generally regarded as a solo game for all the rules and play vs the 6 player monster? (This result will be more which crowd is larger and more present right now, they don't have enough in common)

No contest dominant species, with all its nastiness takes it. The rules aren't a problem in dominant species, they are dead simple. Play us just emergent (highly), like all good games. A lie rules overhead and simple framework is what makes dominant species great.

They are both super heavy games that are rated highly and have roughly the same number of voters on BGG. And as of this post they are separated by 1 vote.

The Death Match series won't be only games that are of similar style. The first Death Match were Gateway Games Death Match #1 - Gateway Grudge - Carcassonne vs. Ticket to Ride. We will see match ups using common themes, mechanics, designers, size, number of letters in the title, or maybe just randomly selected.

And Dominant Species just got bonus points for your argument!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg Wolgast
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I love this idea! Is there a way for me to be notified when more are published, via perhaps a subscription thread?

Secondly, I vote Dominant Species because it's the only one I've played because I don't think I'd ever be able to convince anyone in my game group to play Mage Knight. It's too long and too complex.

DS, even though it's a heavy game, has relatively simple rules and is concentrated on the action selection board, which is very simple and immediately engaging and interesting. I love its elegance, so even though I haven't played MK I'm still confident in my vote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both ezcellent games. Mage knight sadly has one of the worst rulebooks I have seen which gives the edge to DS for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:
Both ezcellent games. Mage knight sadly has one of the worst rulebooks I have seen which gives the edge to DS for me.

If it is anything like Vlaada's other rulebooks (Space Alert, TTA), yeah I can imagine it is awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Mage Knight has surged into the the lead. A few more days and we'll crown a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Mage Knight is really rated 4.18? I'm honestly pretty surprised. I guess most likely it's a bit inflated since, as has been said, the rulebooks are pretty poorly organized. But honestly I don't see it really even being that near 4, nevermind over.

That said the game's a lot of fun as far as super sandboxy romps go. I'm not convinced that it's great as a game but you can't have everything.

And I'll unfortunately have to refrain from voting since I haven't tried Dominant Species, but it's on my list as it looks like a great game.

Also, I'll echo the sentiment that this seems like a fun idea and I'd be interested in some sort of announcement thread for whenever more of these come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK I always thought Mage Knight was real easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Mage Knight is easy to play, but it has a lot of depth behind the decision making, and a lot of rules that are uncovered as you play. Definitely deserves its weight rating.

I'd say BGG could do with separate ratings for depth and complexity though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ryan
United States
Lee's Summit
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight hands down for me, that immersive theme and the constant tension to find the best way to use your hand and not get left behind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.